Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree163Likes

Thread: Rio Olympics 2016

Default Rio Olympics 2016

Is there a thread already that I am not seeing??? If so go ahead and delete or merge!

I do not have DVR -- (lame - i know) I did not see any of the opening ceremonies, except for USA walking in - I am trying to see as much gymnastics on demand as I can. DAMN those girls are freaking AWESOME! I know US the womens gymnastic team had no real competition for the team event, but what about individual apparatus'?? Is there any true competition? Any followers know who to watch for?

Phelps - I am still excited to watch him swim, and I am rooting for him every race. I was cheering when he won his gold medal back for the 200m fly - the South African guy (current gold holder) ...who was staring Phelps down in every qualifying race and warm up...i noticed that guy didn't medal at all.

Hmmm - surprises were the Williams sisters out before it seems they even began - then Serena out as a single.

I watched some synchronized diving - it is pretty amazing to me, and the green diving pool?? Well thats another interesting thing that will come in trivia games in years to come.
    panic and Fran2 like this.

I was wondering the same thing. I saw NFL 2016-17, but where is the Olympics 2016 thread? I posted a picture in the Hot Guys section of the Tongan flag carrier, Pita. I was looking for him on here.

I watched the opening here and there. I was annoyed that they kept showing Gisele, and had her do a runway walk. Then watching the today show, they had Adriana Lima, and the other Victoria Secret model on there, interviewing them. What the hell, can we focus on sports please?

I was pretty much glued to the TV for women's gymnastics. Maybe this year I'll look at new sports, like trampolining. It looks cool.
    JazzyGirl likes this.
    "Fashion is an art, but individuality is the key"

I hate that I keep seeing spoilers everywhere; if I notice something on Facebook or anywhere else, I try to scroll past it, but sometimes you can't avoid it. A few days ago I already knew Michael Phelps had won the gold for one of his races, but it was a surprise that Chad Le Clos didn't even medal in the race. It was like a big f**k you from the universe over his antics the day before, lol!
    panic and JazzyGirl like this.

i always like the parade of nations. one of the athletes was crying cause he was overwhelmed by it. he started taking pics of the crowd.
    "His suits are cheaply made because he makes them in other countries, taking jobs away from good, hard-working Americans."...Bevy Smith on Donald Trump

It's been a lot of fun. I have seen more events this year than any previous Olympics because this time I have at least three channels playing.
    JazzyGirl likes this.

NBC coverage has been awful but their live streams at their website are great. I have an Amazon Fire TV and downloaded the NBC Olympic app and you can watch all channels on there live but also highlights of previous days, interviews and old live streams. I've been watching the live stream of the Women's Gymnastic final rotation on floor with Laurie, Aly and Simone as the anchor and it's great to see them so excited to win gold, I keep watching it over and over, they're just so talented!

I hate NBC prime time coverage!! I tried to watch gymnastics but they show two rotations and then cut to 90 minutes of swimming and then back to gymnastics. I love swimming but do they have to show the prelims too? How about diving or even fencing. I had no idea the US won a silver medal in fencing until I saw it at the NYT website. I already know who won the All Around in Women's Gymnastics because of the live streams but anyone else will be spoiled by twitter or just turning on the news because NBC won't show the whole thing until after 11pm! Thanks NBC.
    Last edited by Neptunia; August 11th, 2016 at 05:38 PM. Reason: are is plural, is is not!
    JazzyGirl likes this.

Holy cr*p - Fiji, an island the size of my living room, just won its first medal of any kind - and it is the gold in Rugby!!! Those effers are going to get a king's welcome when they get back home.
    Fran2 and JazzyGirl like this.

living on the West Coast sucks when it comes to foreign sports coverage (Especially by NBC). unless you are sitting at a computer, the live events are stuff like air pistol shooting, or
    archery, or soccer (not american though). so, i've been forced to watch swimming or gymnastics at night, after the results have been out for hours.
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

Quote Originally Posted by panic View Post
    i always like the parade of nations. one of the athletes was crying cause he was overwhelmed by it. he started taking pics of the crowd.
    I saw that too. I was touched.
    panic likes this.
    "Fashion is an art, but individuality is the key"

Bronze Member

Its good to see thread about Olympics being held in Rio. I saw an update and among the countries that are leading so far are USA , China and Japan.

I read an article today about the U.S.A. female gymnast leotards; the technology involved in creating them, the cost, etc. They have to be specially fitted to each gymnast to their exact measurements, and they have 3 different fittings/alterations so that they fit just right and don't bunch up or move. The same company also creates special undergarments, because if the slightest bit of bra/underwear shows, the gymnasts have points deducted. The cost of each set of leotards ends up being around $2000, and U.S.A. Gymnastics pays for them. I'm now watching the all around competition, and it's funny how I'm now noticing the slight wrinkling/bunching of the other competitors leaotards compared to the almost perfectly smooth American ones.
    JazzyGirl likes this.

I think it's funny they're having the summer Olympics during the winter.
    JazzyGirl likes this.

So this guy has become one of my favorite athletes; he's an excellent swimmer, and by all accounts just an all around really nice guy:

Quote Originally Posted by Neptunia View Post
    NBC coverage has been awful but their live streams at their website are great. I have an Amazon Fire TV and downloaded the NBC Olympic app and you can watch all channels on there live but also highlights of previous days, interviews and old live streams. I've been watching the live stream of the Women's Gymnastic final rotation on floor with Laurie, Aly and Simone as the anchor and it's great to see them so excited to win gold, I keep watching it over and over, they're just so talented!

I hate NBC prime time coverage!! I tried to watch gymnastics but they show two rotations and then cut to 90 minutes of swimming and then back to gymnastics. I love swimming but do they have to show the prelims too? How about diving or even fencing. I had no idea the US won a silver medal in fencing until I saw it at the NYT website. I already know who won the All Around in Women's Gymnastics because of the live streams but anyone else will be spoiled by twitter or just turning on the news because NBC won't show the whole thing until after 11pm! Thanks NBC.
    Quote Originally Posted by msdeb View Post
    living on the West Coast sucks when it comes to foreign sports coverage (Especially by NBC). unless you are sitting at a computer, the live events are stuff like air pistol shooting, or
    archery, or soccer (not american though). so, i've been forced to watch swimming or gymnastics at night, after the results have been out for hours.
    I swam competitively for years and I get sick of all the swimming coverage on NBC primetime. All the results are out there. So, unless you live in a hole with no internet access you are bound to see a spoiler. Apparently an NBC exec said that women like the story lines, which is why they do so many. Also, that they (women) don't care about the actual competition. Such sexism! I care about the competition and would like to see if during the daytime hours, please.

Quote Originally Posted by Moongirl View Post
    I read an article today about the U.S.A. female gymnast leotards; the technology involved in creating them, the cost, etc. They have to be specially fitted to each gymnast to their exact measurements, and they have 3 different fittings/alterations so that they fit just right and don't bunch up or move. The same company also creates special undergarments, because if the slightest bit of bra/underwear shows, the gymnasts have points deducted. The cost of each set of leotards ends up being around $2000, and U.S.A. Gymnastics pays for them. I'm now watching the all around competition, and it's funny how I'm now noticing the slight wrinkling/bunching of the other competitors leaotards compared to the almost perfectly smooth American ones.
    I saw that article, too. I noticed the Chinese women had ill fitting leotards.

I also wish they would show more variety in primetime ... And as much as I love watching phelps....did we need a clock running to let us know how much rest time he had between a medal race and a semi final? I loved loved loved watching Simone Manuel tie/win her event!! That was freaking awesome!

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information