Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Maria Sharapova failed drugs test at Australian Open 2016

Default Maria Sharapova failed drugs test at Australian Open 2016

Maria Sharapova failed drugs test at Australian Open

Maria Sharapova was speaking at a news conference in Los Angeles
    Former world number one Maria Sharapova has revealed she failed a drugs test at the Australian Open.
    The Russian, 28, tested positive for meldonium, a substance she has been taking since 2006 for health issues.
    Sharapova, a five-time Grand Slam champion, is provisionally suspended from 12 March pending further action.
    "I did fail the test and take full responsibility for it," said Sharapova, who won the Wimbledon title as a 17-year-old in 2004.
    "For the past 10 years I have been given a medicine called mildronate by my family doctor and a few days ago after I received a letter from the ITF [International Tennis Federation] I found out it also has another name of meldonium, which I did not know."

Test failed on day of Williams defeat

Sharapova, who lives in Florida, provided the anti-doping sample in question on 26 January, the day she lost to Serena Williams in the Australian Open quarter-finals.
    The World Anti-Doping Agency (Wada) analysed the sample and returned a positive for meldonium, leading to the Russian being charged on 2 March.
    "It is very important for you to understand that for 10 years this medicine was not on Wada's banned list and I had been legally taking that medicine for the past 10 years," said Sharapova.
    "But on 1 January the rules had changed and meldonium became a prohibited substance, which I had not known."
    She added: "I received an email on 22 December from Wada about the changes happening to the banned list and you can see prohibited items - and I didn't click on that link."

Sharapova has been the highest-earning female athlete in the world for the past 11 years, according to the Forbes list. She earned about 21m in 2015, mainly from her extensive business ventures and endorsements. Her career earnings from tennis alone amount to almost 26m.
    She first reached world number one in August 2005 and is currently seventh in the rankings - but she has played just four tournaments since Wimbledon last July as she struggled with an arm injury.
    Sharapova, who turns 29 in April, hopes to be able to return to tennis in the future.
    "I made a huge mistake," she said. "I have let my fans down, and let the sport down that I have been playing since the age of four that I love so deeply.
    "I know that with this I face consequences and I don't want to end my career this way. I really hope to be given another chance to play this game."
    There had been speculation Sharapova was going to announce her retirement and a large media contingent gathered for the Los Angeles news conference, which was streamed live online.
    "I know many of you thought that I would be retiring today but if I was ever going to announce my retirement it would not be in a downtown Los Angeles hotel with this fairly ugly carpet," she said.

'Seems to be an honest mistake'

Women's Tennis Association (WTA) president Steve Simon said he is "very saddened" at Sharapova's failed test.
    "Maria is a leader and I have always known her to be a woman of great integrity," he added.
    "As Maria acknowledged, it is every player's responsibility to know what they put in their body and to know if it is permissible.
    "This matter is now in the hands of the Tennis Anti-Doping Programme and its standard procedures. The WTA will support the decisions reached through this process."

Reaction to Sharapova's admission

BBC TV tennis commentator Andrew Castle tweeted: "This news is a hammer blow to the sport. Hold on. This is weird. Wada issue their list of banned substances and you don't look? Nor do management."
    Eighteen-time Grand Slam champion Martina Navratilova said: "Hope this gets cleared up as it seems to me to be an honest mistake."
    Brad Gilbert, who coached Andy Murray from July 2006 to November 2007, said: "Still stunned that nobody on 'Shazza' team checked new list from Wada. Players are responsible but this is big-time oversight on team as well."
    Former athlete Kelly Sotherton, who won bronze in the heptathlon at the 2004 Olympics, said it was "refreshing" that Sharapova took full responsibility for the failed test but "can only blame herself".
    She added: "I'm pretty sure if this was a track and field athlete they'd be getting a much rawer deal than Sharapova."

Maria Sharapova failed drugs test at Australian Open - BBC Sport

I have some famous friends and I have mostly not famous friends.

Nominally, it looks like Meldonium is used to treat patients with chronic heart problems. I'm not sure what "legit" reason Sharapova was taking it for, although it is also said that it can enhance physical performance.

Many athletes have already been busted for meldonium use considering it has only been illegal for two months. Aregawi (Swedish middle distance runner) tested positive for it last month, and it's even infiltrated the world of ice dance (!) today as well.

If Maria were taking this as legitimate medication, she'd essentially need to be a sufferer of angina or heart disease which would be nigh on impossible for an athlete of her calibre so it seems fairly evident that she was using it as a PED. I just can't believe that neither she nor anyone in her medical team would check whether the legality of the drug had changed.
    Mivvi21 and arie_skop like this.

So the WTA banned it and just "forgot" to tell people? Do ANY athletes do anything without PEDS anymore?
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

WADA banned the drug. All players, including Sharapova, were sent an updated list from WADA of all banned substances in December of last year. She just stupidly didn't check over the list to see if her chosen PED was on it. The testers are always behind the dopers, so I'm not shocked to see that she was taking this drug for 10 years before being caught. So far she has been given a provisional 12 month ban, but I bet she gets that cut in half at least, if not less.
    Brookie likes this.

I could see if she was taking a drug for diabetes or eczema, but if it was taken for a heart condition, i call shenanigans. big time.

Meldonium is an anti-ischemic drug that helps improve circulation, particularly in the brain.
    It has also been rumoured to have been used by athletes.

Sharapova referred to a family history of diabetes for reason of taking it.
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

Family history of diabetes and she's promoting her sugarpova business!?! She's a fraud.
    arie_skop likes this.

Gold Member

And had she not came out and said it, nobody would've ever known. That says a lot about tennis.

I bet many have failed tests, then had an "injury", that put them out for months.

A lot of Russian athletes are getting busted on this drug.
    arie_skop likes this.

How can she not check the updated banned list, she's a professional athlete with a management, medical and coaching team. Didn't anyone check?

her major sponsors have already suspended her contract
    rollo likes this.

Why Maria Sharapova does not deserve sympathy

The rush to exonerate and even praise Maria Sharapova forher story-owning “honesty” shows what the anti-doping movement is up against. Problem one is the pharmaceutical cheating. Problem two is the naivety that drives people who should know better to rally round the accused before they have looked fully at the evidence.

If the “Maria Shara-Dopa” headline was at one end of the reaction scale, there was enough at the sympathy end to make you fear the scale of performance-enhancing drug use is still not properly comprehended. As the apology industry tested out a new playbook with Sharapova’s expression of regret before the news of her failed dope test had even broken, commiserations flooded in from fellow players and (more worryingly) people whose prime concern ought to be the integrity of their sport.

full story..
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/tennis/2016/03/08/why-maria-sharapova-does-not-deserve-sympathy/

Quote Originally Posted by msdeb View Post
    I could see if she was taking a drug for diabetes or eczema, but if it was taken for a heart condition, i call shenanigans. big time.

Meldonium is an anti-ischemic drug that helps improve circulation, particularly in the brain.
    It has also been rumoured to have been used by athletes.

Sharapova referred to a family history of diabetes for reason of taking it.
    Here's some info on Meldonium:

• Meldonium is manufactured in Latvia and used medically to treat heart problems like angina and myocardial infarction. It is also an effective treatment for ischemia - or lack of blood flow.
    • It became a prohibited substance on 1 January 2016, because of "evidence of its use by athletes with the intention of enhancing performance."
    • It had previously been on the World Anti Doping Agency's list of drugs to be monitored.
    • Wada's monitoring of the drug found that some of its medical benefits could enhance athletic performance, especially in endurance athletes. Other benefits include increased endurance and aerobic capabilities of athletes, and increased rate of recovery.
    • In addition to Sharpova and Aregawi, Tokyo Marathon winner Ethiopia's Endeshaw Negesse has reported tested positive for meldonium.

Why Maria Sharapova does not deserve sympathy

She's such a liar! I hope they don't go easy on her. I believe 4 years is the first time offence penalty.

Martina Hingis received a 2 year ban for sniffing the coco while partying. Maria took this drug to improve her performance not for any made up medical conditions.
    I have never heard of anyone taking medication to prevent diabetes. I have heard of life style changes by eating healthy and regular excersise.
    arie_skop and Mivvi21 like this.

Her story does not add up.

fgg

MARIA SHARAPOVA
    SUSPENDED 2 YEARS FOR DOPING
    ... Vows to Fight It

Maria Sharapova was just hit with a TWO YEAR BAN by the International Tennis Federation for doping ... but she claims it's "unfair" and vows to appeal.

The ITF just issued a statement saying Sharapova's urine tested positive for meldonium -- a metabolic modulator that's prohibited in the sport.

The ITF says it cut Sharapova a break when it comes to the punishment because she "promptly admitted" to the offense. Instead of starting the 2-year ban today, they will backdate the suspension to January 26 -- the date of the sample collection.

The ITF also ruled that her results at the 2016 Australian Open should be disqualified -- and she must forfeit her ranking points and prize money that she won at that event.

For her part, Sharapova says she did NOT intentionally use the substance -- and wants her fans to know she should not be considered a cheater.

"The ITF spent tremendous amounts of time and resources trying to prove I intentionally violated the anti-doping rules and the tribunal concluded I did not," Sharapova said in a statement.

"You need to know that the ITF asked the tribunal to suspend me for four years – the required suspension for an intentional violation -- and the tribunal rejected the ITF’s position."

Sharapova says she will fight the decision -- "I cannot accept an unfairly harsh two-year suspension ... I will immediately appeal the suspension."

"I intend to stand for what I believe is right and that’s why I will fight to be back on the tennis court as soon as possible."

Celebrity Gossip | Entertainment News | Celebrity News | TMZ.com
    can't post pics because my computer's broken and i'm stupid

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information