Thread: Jonah Lomu: New Zealand rugby union great dies aged 40

Default Jonah Lomu: New Zealand rugby union great dies aged 40

• Former All Blacks doctor confirmed news on Wednesday morning
    • ‘We’re all shocked and deeply saddened’, says New Zealand Rugby CEO

New Zealand is mourning one of its greatest sporting heroes after the former All Blacks player Jonah Lomu died unexpectedly in Auckland on Wednesday at the age of 40.
    John Mayhew, the former All Blacks doctor, confirmed the news on Wednesday morning.
    “On behalf of the Lomu family, I can confirm that Jonah Lomu died this morning, most probably about 8 or 9” Mayhew said. “The family are obviously devastated, as are friends and acquaintances.
    “The family have requested privacy at this stage, they are obviously going through a terrible time. It was totally unexpected. Jonah and his family arrived back from the United Kingdom last night and he suddenly died this morning.”
    Lomu had suffered from health problems since his retirement from playing in 2002 due to a rare kidney disease, nephrotic syndrome. He underwent a kidney transplant in 2004 and had been on dialysis treatment for the past 10 years.

He had recently travelled to the UK for the Rugby World Cup, during which he worked with tournament sponsors. He and his family holidayed in Dubai on their way back to New Zealand and Lomu had tweeted from there as recently as Monday.
    “We’re all shocked and deeply saddened at the sudden death of Jonah Lomu,” New Zealand Rugby chief executive Steve Tew said.
    “Jonah was a legend of our game and loved by his many fans both here and around the world. We’re lost for words and our heartfelt sympathies go out to Jonah’s family.”

New Zealand’s prime minister John Key took to Twitter to express his condolences. “Deeply saddened to hear of Jonah Lomu’s unexpected passing this morning. The thoughts of the entire country are with his family,” he wrote.
    Lomu played in 63 Tests for New Zealand after making his debut in 1994. He scored 37 tries and his physical, often brutal, running game regularly terrorised defences the world over.
    The bullocking try he scored against England at the 1995 World Cup, when opposition defenders bounced off him on his way to the line, was this year voted the greatest in World Cup history.

That World Cup in South Africa was the breakthrough tournament for Lomu, who had come to the selectors’ attention the previous year and made his debut aged only 19, breaking a record that had stood for 90 years as their youngest Test player.
    He was a surprise selection in the squad for 1995 with only two caps, but by the end of the tournament he was probably the most famous rugby player in the world, despite the All Blacks losing the final to the Springboks.
    He scored seven tries in the tournament, including four in the 45-29 semi-final defeat of England. Lomu’s 15 World Cup tries stood alone as the highest tally until they were equalled by South Africa’s Bryan Habana at this year’s tournament.
    Lomu’s rise to international prominence in South Africa not only made him a star of the game, but also helped take rugby union to a global audience it had not previously reached.

“What it meant for rugby, that World Cup changed everything,” Lomu told the Guardian in August. “When I look at it now I understand my impact more. When they show clips of me on the TV, my sons turn and look at me. They have grown up as the sons of Jonah and it’s a daunting task trying to explain to them what I achieved.
    “I don’t have any regrets. Everything that I achieved in rugby I cherished. I was in a World Cup final in South Africa against South Africa when a country became one. As Francois Pienaar [the Springboks captain] said: ‘It was not 80,000 in the stadium it was 44 million.’”

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2015/nov/18/jonah-lomu-dies-aged-40-according-to-reports

We are all shocked so I can imagine the kiwis are probably weeping in the streets. He was a superstar whose career and life were over too soon.
    "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."

Wow, way too young.
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

So sad. I saw his comeback match during the sevens at Twickenham. He was much weaker than in his heyday but he was still a beast. Took a good four guys to pull him down
    Rest in Peace my beautiful little Bonnie

07/01/92 - 12/03/09

Gosh, only 40? So sad.

His 95 RWC semi is one of the most jaw-dropping sporting performances ever.

Damn, that makes me sad.

Elite Member

Jonah Lomu: Life in pictures

23 hours ago

Jonah Lomu: Life in pictures

(© Nick Wilson/ALLSPORT)

All Blacks great Jonah Lomu passed away unexpectedly in the early hours of Nov. 18, 2015, at the age of 40. He scored 37 tries in 63 Tests, and is regarded as one of New Zealand's greatest wingers. Here is a look at his life in pictures.

© PA

Tony Underwood (L) fails to tackle Jonah Lomu in a 1995 Rugby World Cup match.

© Getty

The New Zealand squad training in 1995.

© PA

Lomu photographed with Harvey Hingston's Jaguar, the car he was caught speeding and driving without a licence.

© PA

England's Mike Catt # 15 fails to tackle Lomu.

© PA

Lomu (C) in full flight against South Africa in the Rugby World Cup 1995 final.

© PA

New Cap Joeli Vidiri (R) with Counties teammate Lomu (L) following the announcement of the 1998 All Blacks squad.

© PA

Lomu (L) shrugs off Western Samoa's Faapito Matagitau (C) at the Rugby Sevens during the 16th Commonwealth Games in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.

© PA

Scotland's Gary Armstrong (L) braces himself to tackle New Zealand's Lomu (3rd L) during the quarter final match of Rugby World Cup 1999.

© PA

Lomu during a World Cup 1999 match between New Zealand and Tonga.

© Reuters

New Zealand's Lomu (R) and Carl Hoeft look dejected as they leave the pitch after losing to France in their Rugby World Cup 1999 semi-final at Twickenham. France won the match 43-31.

© Reuters

Members of New Zealand's rugby sevens team, (L-R) Karl Te Nana, Jonah Lomu, and Brad Fleming, celebrate by doing their traditional "haka" ritual after winning the Rugby World Cup Sevens 2001 title in Mar del Plata, Argentina.

© Reuters

Lomu runs in his try against Scotland much to the delight of teammate Doug Howlett (L).

© Getty

The All Blacks winger hugs his then wife Tanya Rutter after holding a press conference in January 1997 to announce he had a rare kidney disease.

© Getty

Will the real Jonah Lomu please stand up? At the Madame Tussauds exhibition in Melbourne, Australia, in 1997.

© Getty

Lomu (R) and Byron Kelleher relax in the hot pools in Hanmer Springs, New Zealand, during preparations for their Tri-Nations test against the Springboks in 2000.

© David Davies/PA

Lomu signed a seven-month contract to play for the Cardiff Blues in 2005. This photo was taken at the official announcement.

© Press Association

With former England captain Martin Johnson (L) in 2005.

© Getty

Lomu (R) playing for North Harbour in the Air New Zealand Cup match against Manawatu in 2006.

© Reuters

Lomu (C) on the bench for North Habour in 2006.

© Getty

With then wife Fiona (L) and Kiwi model Rachel Hunter at the 2007 launch of Hunter's swimwear range.

© Getty

Lomu (R) made his body-building debut in 2009.

© Getty

He lost 61.7 pounds (28 kilograms) in two years during a disciplined training regime.

© Reuters

Lomu (C) joined French Fédérale 1 team Marseille Vitrolles in November 2009. This photo was taken at a team training in November the same year.

© Reuters

With young students during a coaching tour in Hong Kong in 2011.

© Getty

With Ethan Bai (3rd R) during the opening ceremony of the 2011 Rugby World Cup held in New Zealand.

© Getty

Helping Telecom launch the iPhone 5 in 2012.

© Getty

With wife Nadene Quirk at the Halberg Awards in 2014.

© Getty

Lomu was inducted into the Sports Hall of Fame, alongside cyclist Sarah Ulmer (R), at the 2014 Halberg Awards.

© Getty

With Abu Dhabi Ocean Racing skipper Ian Walker (R) during the Auckland stopover of the Volvo Ocean Race in March 2015.

© Getty

Congratulating Warriors player Manu Vatuvei (R) on his 200th game at Mt Smart Stadium, Auckland, in April 2015.

© Press Association

With the Webb Ellis Cup when the trophy was touring the U.K. and Ireland in early 2015.

Elite Member

Public memorial service for Jonah Lomu

http://www.msn.com/en-au/news/australia/public-memorial-service-for-jonah-lomu/ar-BBndTE5?li=AAavLaF&ocid=

Radio New Zealand
    2 hrs ago

Jonah Lomu's family have confirmed that a public memorial service will be held for the rugby superstar, although details have yet to be revealed.

Lomu died suddenly this week, aged 40, after a holiday in Dubai.

Former All Black coach John Hart spoke on behalf of the Lomu family outside the All Black great's home at a media conference this morning, with Lomu's mother Hepi, rugby legend Michael Jones and other family members also appearing.

Hart confirmed there would be a public service, followed by a private funeral at the family's church.

He said details of the venue and time should be announced in the next 48 hours, with discussions being held between family, rugby officials and the government over the details.

It will not be a state funeral, Hart said, but it will be a "substantial" event.

(© Hannah Peters/Getty Images) Former All Blacks head coach John Hart comforts mother of Jonah Lomu, Hepi Lomu, with father of Lomu's wife Nadine, Mervyn Kuiek, after speaking to the media.

He did confirm that Eden Park was one of the venues being discussed.

"This gathering could be the biggest we've had for any such occasion in New Zealand."

He said the public memorial service would be a celebration of Lomu's life.

Queen Elizabeth II had passed on her personal condolences to the Lomu family through Prime Minister John Key, Hart said.

Hart also gave more details about the circumstances of Lomu's death. He said Lomu appeared to be in good health but died overnight on Tuesday and was found in his bed in the morning. Hart said that it appeared likely he died of a cardiac arrest.

Thread Information