Thread: David Beckham gets canned!

Default David Beckham gets canned!

http://msn.foxsports.com/soccer/stor...6?FSO1&ATT=HMA

Beckham dropped from England squad
    Associated Press
    Posted: 1 hour ago

LONDON (AP) - David Beckham was dropped from the England soccer team Friday by coach Steve McClaren, who also named Terry Venables as his assistant.
    Beckham stepped down as captain last month after limping off with ankle and Achilles tendon injuries during the second half of England's World Cup quarterfinal loss to Portugal. He said he still wanted to play for the national team.

McClaren didn't name him in the squad to play Greece in Wednesday's friendly - his first match in charge.

"I spoke to David last Monday and notified him of my decision and said that I was planning for the future, looking to change things, looking to the future and David wasn't included," McClaren said.

"At the present moment I am looking to take this team in a different direction," McClaren added. "It's a new beginning. It's a clean sheet of paper for everybody and that's why I decided not to pick David Beckham."

While his accuracy from dead balls is still sharp, Beckham has started to lose pace - highlighted when 19-year-old Aaron Lennon twice replaced him at the World Cup. It also marks a break from the reign of former coach Sven-Goran Eriksson, who developed a close relationship with Beckham in his five years in charge.

Elite Member

Default Re: David Beckham gets canned!

Sorry - I'm confused. We don't really follow soccer here in Canada though I'm a bit familiar with who David is via Posh.

Is he off the England team for good or only for some big competition coming up? And I thought he was living in Spain and playing for them.

Elite Member

^ ^

You're right - I guess I don't really care.

This should be posted in the SPORTS sections.

And, it's time for him to step off. He is over the hill in my opinion. Looking forward to his international retirement soon.

PS. I support the England team all my life but I cant stand this guy.

Lil

Quote Originally Posted by Elisa View Post
    Is he off the England team for good or only for some big competition coming up? And I thought he was living in Spain and playing for them.
    He plays for a Spanish league club, he would have to be Spanish to play for the Spanish national team. And he may be selected for England again in the future, but I think it isn't all that likely.

My guess is that he knew this was coming, which is why he resigned as England captain after the World Cup, to preserve at least a little dignity.
    A big boy did it and ran away.

I'm sure if he gets better he'll probably play for England again. I mean the World Cup just finished, it's not until another four years.

The European countries are gearing up for the qualifying games for Euro 2008. Games start next month.

Anyway, there is a chance Becks will be back on the sqaud but he needs to step up a lot.

I cant wait to see how McClaren will do for the team.

Yeah, I remembered that they play qualifiying matches.

He'll be 35 at the next World Cup, which is a little long in the tooth for playing mid-field.

Is this why he and Posh is trying to come to LA. His career is almost over so he wants to reinvent himself over here.
    I'm also not too familiar with David the soccer player but, was he great. I know that he was good but, I've never heard of him being this great player.

SVZ

David and Victoria have been trying to "cross over" for years now

Im sure he has to come over to the US so he can make as much money as he can to maintain the lifestyle him and Victoria have gotten acustom to.
    He is ok but there are way better players out there than is mentioned.

Saw this in the Mirror today. If this is true I can totally understand.
    STEVE McCLAREN'S decision to ditch skipper David Beckham in such a brutal manner has won support inside the England dressing room.

A senior player said: "There has been talk for months among the players about how the next manager would deal with the Beckham situation.

"The players knew David was all-powerful. We all agreed dealing with Becks was the toughest call for the new boss. Steve McClaren seems to have listened to the players' concerns and decided this is what they want him to do."

The England World Cup star added: "Becks had too much influence on Sven Goran Eriksson. If he wanted to go out for dinner from the team hotel we went out. On one occasion we all thought we were going out and were then told we were staying in the team hotel.

"When we asked why the plan had changed it was because David wanted to stay in.

"If David wanted the time of training to change from morning to afternoon it would be changed. The rest of us never got the choice."
    While Eriksson and his staff would make the final call, the players knew how the decision was reached.

"Sven relied on a hierarchy of players," added the England insider. "He would turn to the likes of Michael Owen, Gary Neville and latterly John Terry - but Becks was by far the most influential.

"Unfortunately, Sven hardly spoke to the rest of the players. We were just left to get on with our jobs. If Steve is getting rid of that exclusive inner circle it will be to everybody's benefit."

But the England star refused to castigate Beckham for his alliance with Eriksson. "You can't blame Becks for enjoying the privileges handed him by Sven. And as our captain he deserved respect.

"But you can resent the way Sven so openly indulged David, in particular, and one or two other players. That wasn't right."

While McClaren's appointment failed to inspire a nation tired of underachievement you couldn't accuse him of lacking courage as he dumped Beckham for Wednesday's friendly against Greece and then issued his mission statement, saying:

"We need to get the shackles off, rid ourselves of fear and start playing football for England.

"I'm different from Sven. I have to be my own man and if I'm not people will see straight through me. People will naturally ask how is it going to be different but I can assure you it is going to be different."

McClaren denied that he consulted his employers about ending Beckham's reign. "I never discussed the exclusion of David with anyone at the FA - only a handful of people I trusted knew about the decision.

"I think you can say as regards the omission of Beckham I'm looking for pace and mobility. I like players who can beat players - and in this squad there are quite a few who can do that."

McClaren may have only been in the job five minutes but already he's recruited a shrink.

Sports psychologist Bill Beswick will be working with the new England boss in an attempt to unite the camp.

McClaren said: "I believe to succeed at this level you need to surround yourself with the best people.

"I wanted Terry Venables because of his immense knowledge and ability, someone whose opinion I would value. I'm a great advocate of the technology side of things and Steve Round is exceptional at that. He has the potential to be one of the best young coaches in the country.

"At the top level in any sport the mental condition of players is very important. I've been working with Bill Beswick for 10 years. When I went into management at Middlesbrough he didn't just help the players, he also helped me.

"I wouldn't have brought him on board unless I felt he could benefit the squad, the team, the staff and the players and that is why I've done it."

McClaren concluded: "It's important to get this squad as one - and as captain John Terry is going to play a very important part in that.

"I remember during the World Cup we introduced speeches before games then all of a sudden JT came in and it was effing this and effing that.

"One day as we went out Sven said, 'You wouldn't get John Terry in a church, would you?' I said no, not really. But we carried it on - and I intend to do the same."

SVZ

This new coach sounds like a cool guy!

Sven Goran Eriksson is the worst coach England has ever had. Over-priced too.

Thread Information