Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast
Like Tree63Likes

Thread: World Cup Brazil

Elite Member

Default World Cup Brazil

So, is there really no World Cup thread? Well, there is now!

Personally I've had a hard time getting into it, because my homeland (Denmark) didn't qualify and because of the local protests and the corruption in FIFA.
    But, now it's underway, and I can't keep away.

In the absence of Denmark I'm rooting for Italy, because I have family there, and because Andrea Pirlo is my secret football crush.
    I watched Italy beat England 2-1 yesterday and thoroughly enjoyed it. Good game from both teams, and a win for my team.
    On a different note, I'm really liking the new tighter jerseys. Now they just need to bring back the short shorts of the 70s.

What are your thoughts on the tournament/protests/corruption? Who's your team? How are they faring? Am I the only GRian watching the world cup?

I'm rooting for Italy and England, so the game yesterday was hard to watch for me but both teams played well. Nevertheless i hope that Italy win the next games as well - although they probably won't get into the final.

Many think that Brazil will win the World Cup, not only because they are good but also because they will likely get help from the referees but I haven't seen their first match, so I can't say much about that.

There's been an unexpectedly high number of goals so far. I like that. Even though poor Greece got 3 from Colombia And wow, just watched the ending of Switzerland vs Ecuador. Ouch, poor Ecuador!

I don't normally watch football but I never miss Euros and World Cups. I root for Greece to score at least one goal in our upcoming matches with Japan and Cote d'Ivoire. Overall, I don't really care who wins it as long as they play well. After their match with Spain gotta say I think it will be the Netherlands. They were on fire.
    What if Superman is psychotic and everyone can see that he's Clark Kent but they just play along not to set him off?

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by yanna View Post
    There's been an unexpectedly high number of goals so far. I like that. Even though poor Greece got 3 from Colombia And wow, just watched the ending of Switzerland vs Ecuador. Ouch, poor Ecuador!

I don't normally watch football but I never miss Euros and World Cups. I root for Greece to score at least one goal in our upcoming matches with Japan and Cote d'Ivoire. Overall, I don't really care who wins it as long as they play well. After their match with Spain gotta say I think it will be the Netherlands. They were on fire.
    Yeah, but the swiss were cheated out of a goal earlier in the game, when the ref erroneously ruled off side. So it's kinda fair they got a goal more in the end, even if that last goal looked a lot like actual off side.

I greatly dislike football and I think part of the reason is because England suck. We truly suck. How can one team have the ball right near the goal for most of the second half and just utterly fail to do anything. Our kit is disgusting too, why the hell are our numbers and names BLUE. Make them red, you fools. We look more like Scotland. I don't even know why I care, the fact I watched even a bit of the match shows how little else I had to do on a Saturday evening.

I feel bad for the USA - same group as Germany and Portugal!
    Kittylady likes this.
    Ain't nothing wrong with Ohio wang! - MontanaMama

My son has a soccer teammate from the Netherlands. Great family. Dad is a super nice guy. I emailed him when I saw the Spain and Netherlands score (5-1), and he was ecstatic. He said he was wearing his Netherlands jersey at the Chik-Fil-A here and they gave him two free meals to help him celebrate.
    idunno, yanna and BelledeJour like this.

Elite Member

Well, USA did great yesterday. You need a victory over Ghana in a group with Germany and Portugal. It will be interesting to see, if Portugal can keep it together in the following matches. They certainly lost the plot against Germany.

So many exciting late goals this year. I'm stoked that US won over Ghana. I loathe Dempsey but was pretty amazed by his :30 second goal. I even felt slightly bad when he injured his nose.

The time difference is killing me Only match I could catch yesterday was some of Iran vs. Nigeria and it bored the crap out of me.
    BelledeJour likes this.
    What if Superman is psychotic and everyone can see that he's Clark Kent but they just play along not to set him off?

I love this time of year. I usually take some vacation time off, just so I can soak in many days of soccer. It didn't work that way this year. But, as I sat at a baseball game last night, I did watch the USA play on my daughter's IPad. Great goals...but I hope the injuries don't hurt us down the road. What a kick to the nose that Dempsey got, right?!?!?

Quote Originally Posted by JadeStar70 View Post
    I love this time of year. I usually take some vacation time off, just so I can soak in many days of soccer. It didn't work that way this year. But, as I sat at a baseball game last night, I did watch the USA play on my daughter's IPad. Great goals...but I hope the injuries don't hurt us down the road. What a kick to the nose that Dempsey got, right?!?!?
    Jade, I'm thinking it will be Germany and Portugal's superior teams that will hurt you down the road. BUT I was happy that the USA won as you know I love you guys.

I think Germany will win the whole thing. They have a great team. I'm not a football fan but I've seen a few matches.

I'll take that bet, I think Netherlands stand a good shot too.

fgg

it was awesome that USA won but i don't think they are all that great. they spent most of the time trying to defend their own goal instead of making moves and trying to score.
    can't post pics because my computer's broken and i'm stupid

Hope your men aren't all like that.

Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread Information