Page 1 of 27 1234511 ... LastLast
Like Tree156Likes

Thread: Figure Skating Part 2

Silver Member

Default Figure Skating Part 2

I don't know what happened to the original thread. Here is a new one to discuss anything, news, gossip, or competitions.

?????It disappeared?????
    Like Stephane Lambiel's triple Axel...

The first season right after the Winter Games always seems so...anticlimactic.
    I've become so bored with skating.
    I am so disappointed with US coverage of the sport.
    There is a new crop of boring skaters out there.
    Good luck getting a cat to do anything let alone join in on your sexcapades. - Air Quotes

It was moved to After Hours.

I like the first post-Olympics season, just because I think skaters tend to take more of a risk with their themes and music choices.
    Sarah Tey likes this.

The gossip from early in the thread was being taken and posted at another forum. Our thread was taken off the open board so that the pearl clutching elsewhere wouldn't splash back on anyone here.
    “What are you looking at, sugar-tits?” - Mel Gibson

God knows there are lots of FS fans who are pearl clutchers.
    Good luck getting a cat to do anything let alone join in on your sexcapades. - Air Quotes

Which board was it? I can't remember anything in that thread that wasn't at least being speculated on other forums.

Does that also mean we have to keep this PC?

I don't think we have to keep it pc at all - the issue with them snagging that dish specifically is that it was first hand. As hand wringing as some of the fandom can be, some of them are the type that could make problems for anything that sounds like confirmation to them. Then again we don't asterisk out our curse words, so I'm surprised they were sticking around long enough to snag it.

In other news, Simon Shnapir is now partnered with Dee Dee Leng. That was quick - I mean it's been 2 weeks. I barely even know who she is, but maybe they'll do ok.
    Last edited by Laurent; May 29th, 2014 at 07:43 PM.

Silver Member

Damn. I should have made an archive of the thread. As far as the gossip goes, most of the stuff posted was from other boards.

Where is the after hours forum? I cannot find it.

I can't believe you're not in there as long as you've been here, Bitter! Make a request thread here. After you get three vouches, the Admin is supposed to admit you.
    BITTER likes this.

The point of the move wasn't to keep the new thread PC, it was more to keep the more personal tidbits in the after hours section. You lot need to get yourselves in there!
    There are certainly some shakeups in US pairs, and I'm hearing about some not-yet-official partnerships in the Canadian and Boston pairs scene, but those are still in the process. In other news, I predict some severe pushing from Marina Zoueva for Katsalapov and Sinitsina, if they make it through the off season. Heard Nikita was being a bit of a dick.

ETA: lovely avi Slushie! Oh and fairy, other boards have a certain amount of gossip in them because it's a very small world and usually everyone knows everyone else's business. But skating boards tend to frown upon sharing certain types of gossip and personal accounts of the saints of the sport not living up to their image. It would be better to have a place to chat about things like that in a place less out in the open. The thread's fairly dead right now, but we could have some more fun if you guys get into after hours.
    BITTER likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Laurent View Post
    I can't believe you're not in there as long as you've been here, Bitter! Make a request thread here. After you get three vouches, the Admin is supposed to admit you.
    How do I get the vouches? And where is the old skating thread?

ETA: I submitted the request...

You just start a thread asking to join afterhours and you need three people to reply that they vouch for you. I doubt you'll have any trouble, Laurent and I will definitely vouch for you. Then the admin has to let you in, which can take a while.
    BITTER likes this.

When you get in After Hours, you will automatically see the old skating thread. I mentioned less than an hour ago in After Hours that I was trying to encourage you to start a thread and already had several people like the post, so you'll get the vouches easily, I'm sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Rusalka
    Heard Nikita was being a bit of a dick.
    What the hell is his malfunction? I figured it was Elena that was the prisspot and death of their partnership, but maybe not.

Default NBC bumps Scott & Sandra for Johnny & Tara

Lipinski, Weir promoted to No. 1 NBC skating broadcast team

By Philip Hersh contact the reporter

Work at 2014 Olympics leads to their promotion
    September 19, 2014, 12:37 PM

After their work at the Sochi Olympics drew widespread praise, Tara Lipinski and Johnny Weir have been promoted to be NBC's primary figure skating commentators, according to Tribune sources familiar with the situation..

Lipinski, the 1998 Olympic champion, and Weir, a three-time U.S. champion, will be teamed with Terry Gannon, as they were at the Olympics, when they did commentary of NBCSN's live skating coverage.

Their first telecast together will be at Skate America in Hoffman Estates the last weekend of October. NBC will do two hours of iive coverage Sunday, Oct. 26.

It is uncertain what future roles, if any, there might be for Tom Hammond, Scott Hamilton and Sandra Bezic, who have been NBC's primary figure skating commentators for the last four Olympic cycles. In Sochi, they did the tape-delayed broadcast shown in prime time.

Hamilton, who also did three Olympics for CBS, confirmed Thursday NBC had told him his tenure as a primary commentator was over. He could wind up with a studio role.

"I was blessed to have that seat for seven Olympics," Hamilton, the 1984 Olympic champion, said in a text message. "I always had the best interests of skating and the skaters at heart. I never wanted it to be about me, and I still don't. I wish them great success."

Bezic sent best wishes to her successors via Twitter:

"Wishing @TaraLipinski @JohnnyGWeir the very best success covering figs for @NBCSports. So grateful to have had the honour for 24 years..."

In a text message Friday, Hammond said, "I think my figs days are over."

Tracy Wilson, the 1988 Olympic ice dance bronze medalist who has done feature commentary on NBC for the last four Winter Games, said Friday she will have a continued role with the coverage.

"It will most likely be similar to past seasons, including scoring pieces, reports and analysis," she wrote in a text message.

Andrea Joyce also will continue in her role as backstage interviewer.
    Lipinski, Weir now No. 1 NBC skating broadcast team - Chicago Tribune
    BITTER and sprynkles like this.

Page 1 of 27 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread Information