Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Naming of Stadiums

Default Naming of Stadiums

I don't know much about sports so I can't offer many specifics but I have a question. What do you guys think about the names of stadiums being changed from names that have some historical meaning (like the stadium is named after a local sports hero or named for something related to do with the town/city its located in) to names of the companies that sponsor the teams? Hope that makes sense. For example, in San Francisco, Candlestick Park was renamed 3-Com Park. Although, it will always be Candlestick Park to me I just get mad at the fact that the name changed at all.

Toronto's Skydome is now named The Rogers Centre, after the new owners, Rogers Communications, or whatever their full name is. Like, fuck right off.
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

Personally I think its F-ed up that they rename stadiums and convention centers and such to stupid-possibly going out of business names. Here in Houston we have Minute Maid Park, WTF that is so stupid. We also have Toyota Center, use to be The Compaq Center and before that The Summit.
    I dont understand the meaning behind renaming this places with "companies" that could very well go under or better yet have a huge scandel. My favorite is Staple Arena. I get a vision of a stapler as its "mascot"

Mmmhmm - doesn't, for example, The Hummingbird Centre just sound like a better place to see a concert than the Air Canada Centre?
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

Quote Originally Posted by Tati View Post
    Mmmhmm - doesn't, for example, The Hummingbird Centre just sound like a better place to see a concert than the Air Canada Centre?
    Im picturing hummingbirds flying around and hummingbird feeders dangling from the rafters

That would be sweet!

- Kahlil Gibran

SVZ

it used to be the o'keefe center

you know there are plans to build a huge apartment building ON TOP of the thing? i've seen the sketch of it and it looks like a giant dick, complete with balls.

Don't these people know we already have a giant dick?

- Kahlil Gibran

Bronze Member

We have been lucky in San Antonio. The Alamodome is of course, named after the Alamo...I guess it is just a matter of time before some sponsor buys it and names it some other off-the-wall name.
    We also have the SBC center where the Spurs play BUT...it never had another name. The sign and insignia will change soon because SBC acquired AT&T so, we will eventually have another name.

SVZ

Toronto's Skydome is now named The Rogers Centre, after the new owners, Rogers Communications, or whatever their full name is. Like, fuck right off.
    i know that family

Quote Originally Posted by alltoofamiliar View Post
    We have been lucky in San Antonio. The Alamodome is of course, named after the Alamo...I guess it is just a matter of time before some sponsor buys it and names it some other off-the-wall name.
    We also have the SBC center where the Spurs play BUT...it never had another name. The sign and insignia will change soon because SBC acquired AT&T so, we will eventually have another name.
    Yeah and that will cost a butt load of money to change the signs and all. And of couse that "trickles" down to the customer/spectators by them increasing the cost of tickets and food to pay for the name change. What gooberheads

SVZ

Did you think that maybe the name's are sold because they need the money? It's not like we're the first people to attach sentiments to old names. I'm sure the people who work and administrate it there are a bit more affected by it.

I wish I could think of all the examples that have ticked me off. My brain is not working today. I just get so mad that everything has to be about the sponsors. It's like nothing is sacred.

SVZ, you have to be right- it's got to be about the money.

The Staples Center always makes me picture a big stapler too. Makes it sound like a huge office supply warehouse.

Laughing at Minute Maid Park and the Q! These sound like theme parks. Like at Minute Maid Park you have waterslides filled with lemonade...gross but that's what came to mind. And Q just fills my head with images of Q-tips. Names like all the ones you guys have mentioned just don't evoke images of sports. The Hummingbird name is pretty- sounds like a nature center.

It pisses me off!!!!

We used to have 'Staduim Australia' the Syd Olympic Stadium.

Now its 'Telstra Stadium' ( Telstra is our biggest Telco )

The Sydney Superdome is now the 'Telstra Dome'

Sydney Football Stadium is now 'Aussie Stadium' ( Aussi Home Loans )

Our teams even got renamed.....

The Wallabies, our national rugby union side, were renamed 'The Vodafone Wallabies' ( no one called them that except sports announcers )

I have no problem with corporate sponsorship but naming rights shit me!!
    An EM is like a Scientologist - Unhinged and Unbelievable - Now shutup and place your hands on my EM-Meter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information