Login to remove the ads!

Thread: 18 Ex-Steelers Have Died Since 2000

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

Question 18 Ex-Steelers Have Died Since 2000

18 Ex-Steelers Have Died Since 2000
    (CBS News)

Eighteen men who played football for the Pittsburgh Steelers have died since 2000, the Los Angeles Times reports.

The former players have fallen to heart attacks, accidents, disease and suicide over the past six years. The Times said 16 of the 77 NFL players from the 1970s and 1980s who have died since 2000 were Steelers - more than one in five.

Four of the deaths were unusual:

Former Steelers lineman Steve Courson, 50, was killed last year when a large tree he was cutting down outside his Pennsylvania home fell on him.

Former linebacker David Little, 46, was bench-pressing weights in his Miamia home last year when he suffered a heart attack. The barbell he was lifting rolled across his neck and suffocated him.

Former offensive guard Terry Long, 45, committed suicide in Pittsburgh last year by drinking antifreeze.

Former offensive tackle Justin Strzelczyk, 36, was killed in a high-speed chase on the New York Thruway in 2004. With police in pursuit, the pickup truck Strzelczyk was driving collided with a tanker truck.

"It's just an anomaly that we can't explain. From an emotional standpoint it just makes you sad and makes you feel like the time we spent together was even more precious," former Steelers star receiver John Stallworth told the Times.

The newspaper said there was speculation that steroid abuse may have played a role in some of the deaths, but no hard evidence to that effect.

( MMVI, CBS Broadcasting Inc. All Rights Reserved.)
    www.kcal.com

Default Re: 18 Ex-Steelers Have Died Since 2000

Are they going to say that there is some kind of a curse? But it is pretty eerie.

It was a HUGE story when that one dude was killed on the NYS Thruway--it was very close to where I live. The guy just went crazy one day and started taking people out in his car and then when the police tried to pull him over he just went ballistic and went on a several hour chase. It was insane.

This is a very sad thing. I love pro football....

Steroid abuse!!!!!..who was the Steeler who had the brain cancer from the steroids and went public..can't quite remember the name(getting old here)?
    Don't slap me, cause I'm not in the mood!

Quote Originally Posted by Sojiita
    Steroid abuse!!!!!..who was the Steeler who had the brain cancer from the steroids and went public..can't quite remember the name(getting old here)?
    there was a Raider who did. Was it Alonzo something? I can see his face, can't remember his name.

Lyle Alzado. I think that was it. can you believe it is 1 am on the West Coast and I had to get up to write this down. pathetic isnt' it.

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by LynnieD
    It was a HUGE story when that one dude was killed on the NYS Thruway--it was very close to where I live. The guy just went crazy one day and started taking people out in his car and then when the police tried to pull him over he just went ballistic and went on a several hour chase. It was insane.

This is a very sad thing. I love pro football....
    I knew him. He was a great guy but sometimes would get depressed. Before he killed himself he said he had found Jesus and tried to give away all his money. He also made goodbye calls to some friends. I feel so bad for his family, he had 2 kids.
    If you can't be a good example -- then you'll just have to be a horrible warning

Thread Information