Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Wimbledon 2013

Default Wimbledon 2013

Just a thread for anyone out there who will be following it this year - I'm going three times....!
    McJag likes this.
    Ain't nothing wrong with Ohio wang! - MontanaMama

You lucky!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

I have just bought tickets for tomorrow and Wednesday on ticketmaster...my credit card hates me! Then I'm going again next Thursday. My boss also hates me.

Hope you have fun.

What is Rafa doing?! Gah.

Lucky ass!

I'm happy Darcis just beat Nadal! I think my neighbours must have heard me scream 'yes' lol

I want Federer to win another but I'm not sure that'll happen, even though he played good today. Murray and Djokovic will be tough.

Levitt- You lucky bitch! I remember when you went last year and bumped into Jude Law! Who are you hoping to see?

Eta- oops just noticed your post above. I forgot you liked Rafa. I feel crappy now for writing that! Sorry you didn't get to see him.
    Last edited by Sarzy; June 24th, 2013 at 01:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarzy View Post
    I'm happy Darcis just beat Nadal! I think my neighbours must have heard me scream 'yes' lol

I want Federer to win another but I'm not sure that'll happen, even though he played good today. Murray and Djokovic will be tough.

Levitt- You lucky bitch! I remember when you went last year and bumped into Jude Law! Who are you hoping to see?

Eta- oops just noticed your post above. I forgot you liked Rafa. I feel crappy now for writing that! Sorry you didn't get to see him.
    Now I just hope that rodent faced Murray will be kicked out, too. Can't stand the guy, nor his thin-lipped miserable looking mother. Come to think of it, I never liked his coach, Ivan Lendl, when he still played either, but he's improved over the years; he's grown a sense of humor.
    Sarzy likes this.
    Warren Beatty: actor, director, writer, producer.

***** celeb

A*O

I'll be watching on TV (natch) but with the sound off so I don't have to suffer the "ladies" screaming like banshees every time they hit the fucking ball. It should be BANNED.
    Brookie likes this.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

i watched Rafa's match, and i thought he might go one more round. His knees are an issue. Sitting out for 7 months, then playing almost every week of the clay season was just stupid.
    At least with this loss, he'll be ready for the US Open... if he plays that at all.

I would like to see Tsonga win Wimbledon.
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

A*O

All sorts of rumours about why Rafa dipped out for so long... I can't stand Andy "Vampire" Murray either. Typical product of an insane tennis mom. But I hate Bernard Tomic even more - the Bieber of tennis. The only player with any grace is Federer but I think he's had his day now.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Poor Rafa. I know some people don't like him (glares at Sarzy :p), but I've followed him for 8 years. I'm a big fan. He refuses to let me watch him play in person, apparently. Might have to go to Paris next year if he doesn't retire. If he retires I will be crushed.

But, on the bright side, I will be seeing Djokovic, Ferrer and Serena (urgh) today. Will let you guys know how it goes!

I have some awesome photos of Serena on the practice courts and Del Potro coming out of the players' lounge. Will upload them ASAP!

Wow, Wimbledon has never had so many casualties due to injuries!
    Tsonga, Darcis (the guy who sent Nadal home) and tons more.
    Or this many unexpected upsets: Nadal - out, Federer - out, Sharapova - out, Hewitt - out.

Source: Daily Mail Many, MANY, pics at the link.

Wipeout at Wimbledon! Sharapova blasts 'dangerous' courts as she crashes out in shock defeat and Tsonga becomes the SEVENTH casualty in record day of injuries

• Jo-Wilfried Tsonga suffered knee injury ending his Wimbledon dream
    • Record for withdrawals at Wimbledon was broken standing previously at five
    • Maria Sharapova described the court as 'dangerous'
    • Victoria Azarenka twisted her knee badly during her first round match
    • Steve Darcis, Rafael Nadal's conqueror, suffered a shoulder injury during their first round match
    • Marin Cilic, due to play Andy Murray in the quarter-finals, suffered knee issue
    • John Isner, Radek Stepanek and Yaroslava Shvedova have also pulled out

By Neil Moxley and Tara Brady

PUBLISHED: 17:44 GMT, 26 June 2013 | UPDATED: 19:38 GMT, 26 June 2013

Former Wimbledon champion and third seed Maria Sharapova slid to a shock second-round exit today after suffering a number of falls on the court which she described as 'dangerous'.

The Russian, who won the grasscourt grand slam in 2004 as a 17-year-old, slipped over a number of times during the match and received lengthy treatment after a nasty fall in the seventh game of the second set.

She was beaten 6-3 6-4 by Portuguese qualifier Michelle Larcher de Brito.

Even before the tumble, which was very similar to the one that forced second seed Victoria Azarenka to withdraw with a knee injury, Sharapova was outplayed by the world number 131 who sealed victory on her fifth match point when her opponent netted a forehand.

Sharapova's exit came hours after the withdrawal of second seed Azarenka, who called for Wimbledon officials to investigate why the courts were so slippery after several players suffered falls.

After claiming victory the 20-year-old de Brito clearly had some sympathy for her opponent.

Sharapova's exit came hours after the withdrawal of second seed Azarenka who called for Wimbledon officials to investigate why the courts were so slippery

Sharapova's exit came hours after the withdrawal of second seed Azarenka who called for Wimbledon officials to investigate why the courts were so slippery

'There's lot of grass that's been cut and not been swept up so there's a lot of dead grass so it's not been easy,' she told the BBC. 'It's a tough court to play on.'

Former world number one Sharapova looked unhappy on Court Two against her opponent, who shares the same noisy style of play as the four-times grand slam champion and hails from the same Florida tennis academy.

While being treated in the second set after the fall that left her clutching her hip, Sharapova appeared to complain to the umpire that the surface was 'dangerous'.

She went off court to continue treatment and resumed after a near 10-minute stoppage but the Russian, who seemed to struggle with her serve in an all-round error-ridden performance, could not avoid one of her worst results at the All England Club.
    Maria Sharapova of Russia, left, speaks with the umpire during her Women's second round singles match against Michelle Larcher De Brito of Portugal at the All England Lawn Tennis Championships in Wimbledon

Jo-Wilfried Tsonga suffered a knee injury ending his tournament resulting in the record being broken for the number of withdrawals in a single day at Wimbledon.

Caroline Wozniacki said: 'It's not really fun to be out there when you can push off on your foot.'

With Marin Cilic, Steve Darcis, John Isner, Radek Stepanek and Yaroslava Shvedova also out, the total number of withdrawals from the singles tournament stands at 10.

Tsonga became the latest player to suffer an injury nightmare when he had to quit his second-round match with Ernests Gulbis.

The popular Frenchman looked as comfortable as he was expected to as he took the opening set 6-3 on Centre Court.

He suffered a knee injury in the second set, though, and, after losing it 6-3 to the often-unpredictable Latvian, he called for medical assistance.

He headed into the third set regardless but endured further woe as he accidentally hit his own wrist with his racket and, after limping his way to another 6-3 loss, shook hands with his opponent and the umpire.

Tsonga, who was beaten by Andy Murray in the last four a year ago, had been a possible last-eight opponent for the British number one this time around.

Second seed Azarenka, meanwhile, slipped during the second set of her victory over Maria Joao Koehler, damaging her right knee.

Although she completed the match, the powerful right-hander follows Darcis into pulling out of the tournament, and the number of injuries taking place have not gone unnoticed.

'Tsonga the latest to withdraw...that's 7 today. If it continues at this rate Andy Murray could be Wimbledon champion on Tuesday,' tweeted Gary Lineker.

American Isner, known for playing the longest match in tennis history with Nicolas Mahut, stopped after just two games against Adrian Mannarino after a left knee problem reared its ugly head, while Stepanek lasted two sets before succumbing to a thigh injury.

Tenth seed Cilic was due to play Frenchman Kenny de Schepper in the second round, but withdrew before playing. It will make Andy Murray's path even easier as they were going to meet in the quarter-final.

Azarenka did not point the finger of blame directly at organisers, she said that her fall asked questions of the court's condition.

Wimbledon officials have confirmed they have done nothing different to prepare the courts from previous years.

The Belarusian attempted a fitness test on the practice courts but had to admit defeat, Italian Flavia Pannetta awarded passage to the third round.

Azarenka said: 'It was slippery out there on Monday - and obviously I slipped.

'I think that (the condition of the courts) is something that could be looked into.

'I don't think it was in a good condition. I fell badly, my opponent fell twice.

'It would be great if someone who was responsible for these things looked at it because there's nothing that I did wrong to cause me to slip.'

Fifth seed Sara Errani said she was afraid to run on the courts for fear of injuring herself on Monday after her defeat to Monica Puig.

Darcis picked up a shoulder injury during his tussle with the Spaniard and was given no option but to pull out of his second round tie with Lukasz Kubot.

He took to Twitter moments after the official announcement to explain his decision: 'Have to throw the sponge without a fight after beating rafa? THE + the painful decision of my career!!

'Had to Effective withdrawn a win like this? THE MOST difficulty thing i had to do! @triedeverythingtoplaybutdidntwork !!'

The 6ft 9in Isner took a 10-minute break for treatment before attempting to carry on against Frenchman Mannarino, but his movement was clearly restricted.

He eventually went to umpire Enric Molina at the end of the second game to confirm he could not go on, before shaking hands with his opponent.

Explaining how his injury occurred, Isner said: 'It was the third point of the match. I didn't do anything different. I went to serve, and I think it was as I landed.

'I always serve and land on my left leg, like I have done 20 million times playing this game, and this is the first time I just felt this sharp pain.

'It wasn't like a pop. There wasn't anything. It just grabbed really badly, and I knew I was in serious trouble then. I knew at that point it was not likely I was going to be able to play.'

He self-diagnosed the problem as a tendon issue but does not expect to require surgery.

He said: 'I just can't bend my knee. I can walk as long as I keep it straight.'

The injury woes did not end there. Wozniacki looked to be in some difficulty out on Court No 2 after falling very awkwardly during the fourth game of her match against Petra Cetkovska.

Wozniacki called for the trainer after appearing to twist her right ankle. She received treatment but was then broken in her subsequent service game. The world No 9 looked close to tears at 4-1 down.

Cilic was also vocal about the players' problems: 'I would say very black day. I mean, the other days, other weeks, there were no pull outs. I mean, just happened today everything.

'So difficult to say what's the explanation. But, I mean, everything is related to individual. Difficult to say what the real issue is.

'It's more because of obviously much lower bounces, putting more pressure on my body and my knees, as I'm pretty tall. It also has a difficulty on movement. It's a bit tougher to move on grass than other surfaces.

'I felt just that it's a bit quicker conditions this year than the last year. That's basically it.'

After her second round victory, Eugenie Bouchard said she thought the playing surface was 'slippery', while Ana Ivanovic described it as 'faster' than she was used to in previous years.

'I felt the court was definitely faster than the one I played the other day,' Ivanovic added. 'I played on few courts obviously around the grounds, but this one felt quite fast.'

Despite Azarenka's protestations, Wimbledon legends Boris Becker and Tim Henman dismissed fears that the courts were to blame for the raft of injuries.

Becker, three-time champion at SW19, said: 'The grass is always going to be slippery in the first couple of matches, that has been the case for the past 100+ years.'

Former British No 1 and four-time Wimbledon semi-finalist Henman added: 'The courts are no different to last year. When they are green they are a bit lush and they do take time to bed in.

'I wouldn't say the courts have much to do with the injuries we have seen. I'm not sure I'll be blaming the courts just yet. These things are issues you will always have to deal with. You can never take anything for granted at Wimbledon.'
    Dustin Brown, a German/Jamaican outsider player, sent Hewitt home in a dazzling display of super athletic, exciting, magical, crazy tennis. He's got a cute face, but I'm not crazy about the hair. Stands 6'5". Loved John McEnroe's reaction on BBC tv when the reporter wanted to move on to that asshat Murray after several moments of the Brown/Hewitt match were shown. Mac, my favorite player of all time, said "Murray? Who is Murray? I would first like to talk about this amazing guy Brown first for a few seconds if that's okay". LOVED him for that.

Source: BBC

Wimbledon 2013: Dustin Brown hits the big time

Decked in a hulking white rasta hat and oversized T-shirt featuring a print of his face and the nickname "Dreddy", Dustin Brown might not strike you as a man who has just made round three of Wimbledon.

Judging by his tearful on-court reaction and a subsequent tweet (#DidAllThatJustHappen...), even the 28-year-old was taken aback.

"I cried like a little girl," he told the assembled media after a superb four-set victory over 2002 champion Lleyton Hewitt.

"I'm emotional. I have a lot of friends here, my coach, my girlfriend. It's been a very long way. I'm happy I actually got through the match."

Brown does not look like your average tennis player, his game certainly differs and the back story is also unusual.

"Did you know #Brown is first player to wear his Twitter handle @DreddyTennis printed on his tennis shirt?"

Born in Germany to a Jamaican father and German mother, he moved to Jamaica two years later - learning to play tennis and representing their Davis Cup team.

On returning to Europe in 2004, Brown's parents bought him a camper van and that let him travel to Futures events without needing to pay for a hotel or restaurants.

With money hard to come by on the second-tier circuit, the 6ft 5ins right-hander told the Observer in 2010 that the camper van "pretty much saved my career".

Asked if he thought about those days after beating Hewitt, Brown said: "Yeah, everything. I just sat down and it took its way. I couldn't really control it. I still have the van. It's parked in Germany at my parents' place."

The vehicle has been parked since Brown started playing more far-flung Challenger events, but it was not as if he arrived at Wimbledon with particularly high hopes.

A career-high ranking of 89 in 2011 has dropped to 189 and his only ATP main draw match this year saw him lose to David Ferrer in Doha.

He failed to qualify for the Australian Open and five other ATP events, while his best Challenger result was a run to the final in Sarajevo. In five of the 14 tournaments he has entered, Brown won no prize money.

Wimbledon preparations were supposed to take place in Nottingham, but he was beaten in round two of qualifying for the Aegon Trophy and round one of qualifying for the Aegon Challenge - both as top seed.

Yet Brown won five matches to reach the singles and doubles main draws at Wimbledon before dispatching Guillermo Garcia-Lopez and Hewitt.
    Dustin Brown's 2013

• $25,781 won in prize money prior to Wimbledon
    • Had played just one match in the main draw of an ATP World Tour event - and lost it
    • Hasn't won any prize money at five of the events he has played in this season
    • Lost in the first round of qualifying for the Aegon Challenge to Great Britain's Dan Cox, whose world ranking is 513
    • Has played in six continents and 12 different countries.

"It's a pretty big pay cheque up to now," he said of his 63,000 earnings for reaching the third round, having previously pocketed just 17,000 in 2013.

"When I came here, I looked at the pay cheque [for the first round of qualifying] and it said 3,000. Great. I didn't look at the main draw, I just wanted to go round by round. The more matches I won, I got more confident."

Next up is Adrian Mannarino, a player ranked at 111 who made it through after John Isner retired because of injury.

"He's very flashy," Hewitt said of Brown, who hit 21 aces, 74 winners and won 48 points at the net. "He has a different style. I wouldn't say he's orthodox and on this surface he's dangerous."

Brown reached round two of the 2010 US Open - going out to Britain's Andy Murray - but had lost each of his other four Grand Slam matches.

Talking of Britain, he could have been representing the host nation at Wimbledon had circumstances worked out differently.

Brown's paternal grandmother is British and after falling out with Tennis Jamaica in 2010, he declared an interest in switching allegiances. But the LTA did not show an interest, so he turned to Germany.

"The train has passed," he conceded. "I have two passports. I have a German passport and Jamaican passport. I'm playing for Germany now.

"There's no looking to change anything. I'm proud to be Jamaican and I'm proud to be German."

Brown heads off with music in his ears, his dreadlocked hair nestling in that rasta hat and luminous shoelaces lighting up a darkened room as befitting one of the stars of Wimbledon 2013.
    Last edited by HWBL; June 26th, 2013 at 04:13 PM.
    Warren Beatty: actor, director, writer, producer.

***** celeb

I saw the Federer and Tsonga matches..the Federer match was INCREDIBLE

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread Information