Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: "I'm a 34-year-old NBA center. I'm black. And I'm gay," says Jason Collins.

Default "I'm a 34-year-old NBA center. I'm black. And I'm gay," says Jason Collins.

NBA player Jason Collins says he is gay - The Magazine - SI.com

Why NBA center Jason Collins is coming out now

This story appears in the May 6, 2013, issue of Sports Illustrated.

I'm a 34-year-old NBA center. I'm black. And I'm gay.

I didn't set out to be the first openly gay athlete playing in a major American team sport. But since I am, I'm happy to start the conversation. I wish I wasn't the kid in the classroom raising his hand and saying, "I'm different." If I had my way, someone else would have already done this. Nobody has, which is why I'm raising my hand.

My journey of self-discovery and self-acknowledgement began in my hometown of Los Angeles and has taken me through two state high school championships, the NCAA Final Four and the Elite Eight, and nine playoffs in 12 NBA seasons.

I've played for six pro teams and have appeared in two NBA Finals. Ever heard of a parlor game called Three Degrees of Jason Collins? If you're in the league, and I haven't been your teammate, I surely have been one of your teammates' teammates. Or one of your teammates' teammates' teammates.

Now I'm a free agent, literally and figuratively. I've reached that enviable state in life in which I can do pretty much what I want. And what I want is to continue to play basketball. I still love the game, and I still have something to offer. My coaches and teammates recognize that. At the same time, I want to be genuine and authentic and truthful.

Jason Collins played with the Celtics and Wizards this season, his 12th in the NBA.
    Andrew D. Bernstein/NBAE via Getty Images

Why am I coming out now? Well, I started thinking about this in 2011 during the NBA player lockout. I'm a creature of routine. When the regular season ends I immediately dedicate myself to getting game ready for the opener of the next campaign in the fall. But the lockout wreaked havoc on my habits and forced me to confront who I really am and what I really want. With the season delayed, I trained and worked out. But I lacked the distraction that basketball had always provided.

The first relative I came out to was my aunt Teri, a superior court judge in San Francisco. Her reaction surprised me. "I've known you were gay for years," she said. From that moment on I was comfortable in my own skin. In her presence I ignored my censor button for the first time.

She gave me support. The relief I felt was a sweet release. Imagine you're in the oven, baking. Some of us know and accept our sexuality right away and some need more time to cook. I should know -- I baked for 33 years.

When I was younger I dated women. I even got engaged. I thought I had to live a certain way. I thought I needed to marry a woman and raise kids with her. I kept telling myself the sky was red, but I always knew it was blue.

I realized I needed to go public when Joe Kennedy, my old roommate at Stanford and now a Massachusetts congressman, told me he had just marched in Boston's 2012 Gay Pride Parade. I'm seldom jealous of others, but hearing what Joe had done filled me with envy. I was proud of him for participating but angry that as a closeted gay man I couldn't even cheer my straight friend on as a spectator. If I'd been questioned, I would have concocted half truths. What a shame to have to lie at a celebration of pride. I want to do the right thing and not hide anymore. I want to march for tolerance, acceptance and understanding. I want to take a stand and say, "Me, too."

Imagine you're in the oven, baking. Some of us know and accept our sexuality right away and some need more time to cook. I should know - I baked for 33 years.

The recent Boston Marathon bombing reinforced the notion that I shouldn't wait for the circumstances of my coming out to be perfect. Things can change in an instant, so why not live truthfully? When I told Joe a few weeks ago that I was gay, he was grateful that I trusted him. He asked me to join him in 2013. We'll be marching on June 8.

No one wants to live in fear. I've always been scared of saying the wrong thing. I don't sleep well. I never have. But each time I tell another person, I feel stronger and sleep a little more soundly. It takes an enormous amount of energy to guard such a big secret. I've endured years of misery and gone to enormous lengths to live a lie. I was certain that my world would fall apart if anyone knew. And yet when I acknowledged my sexuality I felt whole for the first time. I still had the same sense of humor, I still had the same mannerisms and my friends still had my back.

Believe it or not, my family has had bigger shocks. Strange as it seems today, my parents expected only one child in 1978. Me. When I came out (for the first time) the doctors congratulated my mother on her healthy, seven-pound, one-ounce baby boy. "Wait!" said a nurse. "Here comes another one!" The other one, who arrived eight minutes later and three ounces heavier, was Jarron. He's followed me ever since, to Stanford and to the NBA, and as the ever-so-slightly older brother I've looked out for him.

I had a happy childhood in the suburbs of L.A. My parents instilled in us an appreciation of history, art and, most important, Motown. Jarron and I weren't allowed to listen to rap until we were 12. After our birthday I dashed to Target and bought DJ Quik's album Quik Is the Name. I memorized every line. It was around this time that I began noticing subtle differences between Jarron and me. Our twinness was no longer synchronized. I couldn't identify with his attraction to girls.

I feel blessed that I recognized my own attractions. Though I resisted my impulses through high school, I knew that when I was ready I had someone to turn to: my uncle Mark in New York. I knew we could talk without judgment, and we did last summer. Uncle Mark is gay. He and his partner have been in a stable relationship forever. For a confused young boy, I can think of no better role model of love and compassion.

I didn't come out to my brother until last summer. His reaction to my breakfast revelation was radically different from Aunt Teri's. He was downright astounded. He never suspected. So much for twin telepathy. But by dinner that night, he was full of brotherly love. For the first time in our lives, he wanted to step in and protect me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kat Scorp View Post
    My fellow 1982 Scorpion! Never occurred to me that penises go into ears until your twitpics
    @NickoMoralesXXX
    @Sexy_Seth_1982 awe sexy! You're just too cute to be true- I can't take my eyes off of you-

Wow.
    Good luck getting a cat to do anything let alone join in on your sexcapades. - Air Quotes

Good for him.

I hope he receives more positive than negative reaction for this. I think its a good time to come out because our society is becoming more more accepting in general, but it will still be hard to be openly gay in the sports world, I think.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Yay! Maybe it'll open the gates for others to do the same.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

I'm am crying here. This was so beautifully written.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

Go Jason!!!!!
    I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

Gold Member

Good for him for having the courage to come out. I am impressed by his eloquent words.

Sadly, though, SI had to disable comments on the website version of this story because too many assholes were leaving dickish comments. Of course everyone is much braver when they are hiding behind a keyboard, doubt any of those degenerates have the balls to say those nasty comments to Collins' face.

Nice looking kid, and I am glad that he was able to be open and honest about his life. I am sure that was especially hard being in the sports world. If people don't like it,...then just stfu!! I don't see why people have to make comments or make it hard for others if they don't agree. Fine,..don't agree. But move on with your own life and leave others to theirs!!

I didn't realize he was a twin.

I never knew Hustle played basketball.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

But by dinner that night, he was full of brotherly love. For the first time in our lives, he wanted to step in and protect me.

^^^
    As a parent of two boys, this is the part that got to me. Don't every parent wish to see their kids show such love? I adore this and I am so glad for Mr. Collins. I wish him well and continued success. *thumbs up*
    shedevilang likes this.

That was lovely, he seems like a really great guy.
    I smile because I have no idea what's going on

Absolutely wonderfully written. Congratulations to Jason for having the biggest stones on the block, it takes guts to break down those barriers.
    Brookie and Seth82 like this.
    If i hear one more personal attack, i will type while drunk, then you can cry! - Bugdoll
    (716): I'd call her a cunt, but she doesn't seem to have the depth or warmth
    Quote Originally Posted by shedevilang View Post
    (Replying to MontanaMama) This is some of the smartest shit I ever read

Bronze Member

Fantastic!

I read on twitter that the comments in the article at si are really bad. That really pisses me off, this was a wonderful story and people still have to be evil bitter assholes. Good for him for having the guts to do this.
    See, Whores, we are good for something. Love, Florida
    #fingersinthebootyassbitch

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information