Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast
Like Tree146Likes

Thread: 2014 Sochi Olympics *SPOILER* thread

Oh, who cut Florent's hair? He looks like the Heat Miser. Plus he's got way too much foundation on.
    The little Swedish guy, Alexander Mejorov, is cute, with a really nice butt.
    Good luck getting a cat to do anything let alone join in on your sexcapades. - Air Quotes

Quote Originally Posted by Laurent View Post
    Well, crap. I thought they'd be doing some primetime stuff, too. I was looking forward to La Weir.
    I just watched the men's short program 'on demand', Tara and Johnny were commenting. I don't mind them as they are a change from listening to Sandra and Scott---but DAMN I miss Dick Button. AND FYI "on-demand" is the full 3 hour coverage - love it!!!! h

Have they presented any lists of required elements for the short programs? I have not followed skating closely in years and do not have a grasp on the sp or the scoring system. I'm not sure they are doing any good explaining of how the events are scored - unless I am dozing off when they are speaking!

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by BITTER View Post
    Yags makes some good points...well, no, not really. I think he is just bitter.
    Why would Yags be bitter?

Quote Originally Posted by Fairy View Post
    Why would Yags be bitter?
    Because he and Plush never really liked each other.
    Good luck getting a cat to do anything let alone join in on your sexcapades. - Air Quotes

I never really took sides in that Yags/Plush thing, but it's trčs tacky for AY to call someone with screws in their lumbar spine a bitch for not getting out there and paralyzing themselves in the SP. Besides, Yags withdrew from events in his day due to his knee.
    “What are you looking at, sugar-tits?” - Mel Gibson

Wow, the Dutch women are also quite good at speed skating: places 1 through 4 are all Dutch in the 1.5k race, so gold, silver, bronze and one who's left empty handed, but who does contribute to a unique milestone.

Dutch 1-2-3 in women's 1,500m speed skating - Sochi 2014 Olympics

Dutch 1-2-3 in women's 1,500m speed skating

Dutch athlete Jorien ter Mors smashed the Olympic record to take women's 1,500m gold as the Netherlands swept the medals, tightening their grip on the speed skating competition in Sochi.

Ter Mors -- racing in the ninth pair -- went almost 4.5sec quicker than then race leader Olga Fatkulina of Russia, setting a mark of 1min 53.51sec that not even her Dutch rivals could match.

Defending champion Ireen Wust, who has already won the 3,000m and taken silver in the 1,000m, came second, 0.58sec behind ter Mors while Lotte van Beek (1:54.54) took bronze.
    Sochi 2014 - CBC Sports - Netherlands’ speed skating women complete sweep in 1,500 m

Apparently some idiot US newspaper wrote that the Dutch domination of the speed skating sport lies in the fact that every Dutch family has skates and that each winter the Dutch travel to their relatives by skates over the canals. Jesus Christ, and my family and myself as Americans are confronted with such ignorance and have to explain how embarrassingly simple minded the US can be at times. That they don't have to fear that all Americans think they all walk in wooden shoes, live in windmills and grow tulips in their backyard. Man, where are the days of good investigative journalism before something is written down and published, ugh.
    Warren Beatty: actor, director, writer, producer.

***** celeb

Haha, that's hilarious. I never even owned skates and haven't been on skates since I was a kid. We're a modern country dammit, we use bicycles for transportation!

I think it's time for thee US speed skating team to stop putting all blame on the suits and start looking at the rest of the season. They did well at the beginning of the skate year, which means imo that they simply peaked too early.

Davis and White Short Program. You take it from there.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

^The top three were incredible tonight.
    Brookie and C_is_for_Cookie like this.

Elite Member

Well, I'd take that as a compliment considering Americans are probably viewed as all riding our scooters around Walmart.

Now who predicted a Russian team in third? I bet you're all shocked right?

In all seriousness, I'm curious as to your thoughts regarding Tessa Virtue/Scott Moir and Meryl Davis/Charlie white.

I'll comment on programs as soon as NBC shows them in a bit. I have had trouble seeing streaming online, so I'm just watching at night.

As far as how I feel about them in general, I'm not that jazzed about V/M in general, so I want D/W to win for that reason alone. I actually like D/W more than I liked B/A . . . or the Belbin half, anyway. <== Unpopular opinion. Seeing all the fluff on D/W, I am noticing that Meryl's voice has gotten higher as she's gotten older. She sounded much less squeaky when she was in her early teens. Odd.
    “What are you looking at, sugar-tits?” - Mel Gibson

I adored Belbin and Agosto even when others did not. Yes, I know she had bad leg lines, but she and Ben were so fast and technically proficient and had loads of charm. Meryl is odd-looking. Can't get into ANY of the other current ice dancers and have gone back to not watching. I only wanted to see the men, mainly because they are more diverse to me. Plus they land quads.

Quote Originally Posted by Brookie View Post
    Davis and White Short Program. You take it from there.
    man i love Ice Dancing so much! Personally i think Davis and White skated WAY better than the 2nd and 3rd place couples.
    McJag likes this.
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

I'm actually surprised ice dancing is still around. I'm not knocking the physicalness of it at all, it's insane how hard it is. Yet another former skater here, and ice dancing was a joke until it wasn't, bwahaha. But from a spectator point of view, ice dancing is kinda ridiculous. At least with the other 3 events, even if you're not overly knowledgeable about skating, you can tell that dude in the sparkly pants landed his jump while dude with the fluttery wings didn't. Ice dance is a bit snobbish in that you need to have some sort of background and even then, when you're as good as the top teams, the judges can't help but be subjective whether it's based on personal favourites, politics, history, etc. I think it's just human nature and whether or not "a fix" is in, the odds of anything changing from even the Grand Prix to the Olympics is pretty slim. Basically, I think the Americans can eff up a twizzle and be off time, and they will still win as they have a cushion now. The Canadians can have the skate of their life (which apparently they already did?) and it won't ever be enough. And the Russians will get the 3rd place and all 3 teams will have enough of a margin between them that it won't be that close.

I mean I could definitely be wrong, but as a huge figure skating fan, ice dancing is just too brain numbing for me to figure out beyond that every Olympics seems to have a new team pre-destined to be the top team. I was chatting with a casual skating fan today and they just straight up ignore ice dancing and the reason is always it's boring or the judging is whack. I know when I was watching some aerials, there was bizarre judging and there at least it should have been more straight forward.

On another note - I saw a Harding/Kerrigan documentary and they said the '94 figure skating Olympics had the best ratings. And there was Oksana and Surya.....Man I miss those bitches.
    BITTER likes this.

Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread Information