Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast
Like Tree146Likes

Thread: 2014 Sochi Olympics *SPOILER* thread

Plushenko would've most likely won today had his body held together another day and everyone skated the way they did, imo.

USA Today wrote a snippy piece about how for once the judges refused to bail out Patrick Chan.

Japan's Hanyu wins men's figure skating gold; Brown ninth

Nancy Armour, USA TODAY Sports 4:09 p.m. EST February 14, 2014

SOCHI, Russia -- Yuzuru Hanyu stayed crouched in his final pose, head bowed, certain the Olympic gold medal was gone.

But three-time world champion Patrick Chan, skating right after the Japanese teenager, faltered even worse and, for once, the judges refused to bail the Canadian out.

Hanyu became Japan's first Olympic champion in men's figure skating Friday night, winning the gold medal in one of the sport's stunning finishes. Even with two falls early in his program, Hanyu edged Chan in the free skate and, coupled with his win in the short program, finished almost five points ahead.

Chan, who skated right after Hanyu, was stunned when he saw the big No. 2 next to his name. He sat in Kiss and Cry for several minutes to compose himself, not moving even after a Canadian skating official came over to reassure him. Chan has become used to winning with errors, including at last year's world championship.

But it was not to be on this night, as Canada's Olympic curse continued. The Canadians have never won a gold medal in men's figure skating, with Brian Orser, Kurt Browning and Elvis Stojko all falling short.

"I had that gold medal around my neck and I didn't grasp it." Chan admitted. "At the end of the day, I have two heavy medals around my neck, and they're silver. Unfortunately it wasn't the gold, but I'm not going to let that affect my whole career."

Denis Ten of Kazakhstan, the silver medalist at last year's world championships, was third.

Jason Brown of the United States, sixth after the short program, fell to ninth. Jeremy Abbott finished 12th, though he skated without a fall for the first time in three appearances here.

Hanyu said he was "not happy with my program" and did not think about whether he had won the gold when he finished.

"No, I was so tired," he said. "I was so tired. I was just so tired."

Then Orser came up and gave him a pat on the back. Hanyu broke into a big smile.

"Oh my," he told his coach.

Orser told him, "A win is a win is a win. I know you're tired. Are you happy?"

"I'm happy," he said.

Added Orser: "It's gonna sink in. This is history, all right. ... Enjoy."

Orser may never have won gold on the ice, but he now has two straight behind the boards. He led Yuna Kim to her majestic victory four years ago in Vancouver, and now has taken Hanyu to the top of the podium.

Just 19, Hanyu established himself as a contender for gold with a victory at the Grand Prix final in December. If he was feeling the weight of the expectations, he sure didn't look it with dazzling performances in the short programs of the team competition and men's event.

But as Chan said after the short program, the target is much bigger at the Olympics.

Hanyu popped several jumps in warm-ups and looked unsettled, a far cry from the cool kid he'd been all Olympics. He still looked nervous when he took the ice for his skate, weaving in and out of the sweepers who were trying to gather up all the bouquets that had been thrown for Daisuke Takahashi, who'd skated before Hanyu.

After his name was announced, Hanyu blew out his breath several times and glanced at the scoreboard.

He crashed hard to the ice on his opening jump, a quadruple salchow. He came right back with a lovely quad toe, only to fall on a triple flip. But he regrouped to finish the rest of his program in style.

Though Hanyu usually has better hops than a kangaroo, it's his elegance and performance quality that are most remarkable. Skating to Romeo and Juliet, his edge quality was so magnificent Sochi organizers could cut up the ice and sell the carvings from his blades. His spins are tight, quick and perfectly centered, and he does them in such unique positions it looks as if he's got rubber for bones.

But judges have made a habit of propping up Chan – he won last year's world title despite several major errors in his free skate – and he was still to come.

Chan opened with a gorgeous quad toe loop –triple toe loop combination, done with such speed and flow he looked as if he was flying. But he slipped on the landing of his second quad, another toe, and had to put his hands to the ice to keep from falling.

He stumbled out of the landing of his triple axel, and did the same on a double axel at the end of the program. He also doubled a planned triple salchow.

His footwork was superb, as always, his blades whispering across the ice. But his performance lacked its usual emotional power.

Contributing: Gary Mihoces
    Japan's Hanyu wins men's figure skating gold; Brown ninth
    “What are you looking at, sugar-tits?” - Mel Gibson

I was on the whole unimpressed today with the performances. Jeremy didn't fall and really nailed his routine, but he was out of it before he took the ice. Everybody else, including the medalists, was just meh. Their short programs were much more entertaining and polished.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

I actually feel bad for Plushy, much more than I do for Chan.
    Laurent likes this.
    Good luck getting a cat to do anything let alone join in on your sexcapades. - Air Quotes

Me, too. Except that I don't feel bad for Chan at all. I don't wish bad things on him - or any skater - but I'm no fan of him and his big mouth and I don't mind that he wasn't gifted for a change.
    BITTER likes this.

And now he's calling the so-called Canadian Curse "ridiculous" and now how it's all about "WE" have medals from world, international and Oly comps and "WE" are not cursed. Shut up Patrick.
    Laurent and sparkles like this.
    Good luck getting a cat to do anything let alone join in on your sexcapades. - Air Quotes

Lysacek's win doesn't look so bad now.
    Laurent and Rusalka like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Slushie View Post
    Lysacek's win doesn't look so bad now.
    Seriously. And this is from someone who's long been of the wildly unpopular opinion that Plushenko's platinum medal should've been gold.
    Rusalka likes this.

Also, for all the (deserved) complaining about Chanflation, Hanyu's current and likely future overscoring is hardly a better alternative.
    Rusalka, Brookie and stella blue like this.

Silver Member

I like the different choices of music. It's nice to hear something other than classical music. Has anyone seen Misha Ge's outfit?

Weren't Johnny and Tara supposed to be commentating some of these FS events? Not that I don't love listening to Scott's 10,000th "GOR-geous" and Sandra's know-it-all-ness.

They are on NBCSN (sports network) during the day, commentating live on the performances. They're very good actually; Weir's a hoot.
    card likes this.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

Well, crap. I thought they'd be doing some primetime stuff, too. I was looking forward to La Weir.

That Chan fluff was predictable. And did he basically say that no one was doing more than one quad in programs before he was? Someone should let Joubert know that.

He gave an awesome interview where he said he still think's he's the best in the world... Such a humble young man.

As much as I love Johnny, I swear he isn't designing costumes for Hanyu so much as just recycling his own on him.

In other news, Yags is side-eyeing Plush.

Olympic Skater Rival Yagudin Criticizes Plushenko for Pulling Out
    RIA Novosti
    Feb. 14 2014 16:03
    Last edited 16:04

Russian figure skating star Yevgeny Plushenko's decision to pull out of the Olympic men's competition and hang up his skates, blaming injury, was criticized Friday by his old rival and former gold medalist Alexei Yagudin.

Plushenko, 31, pulled out of the men's short program in Sochi on Thursday, blaming a back injury he said he had suffered during the warm-up. Yagudin, who beat Plushenko to gold at the 2002 Olympics, said it would have been better for him to compete anyway.

"I support people who go to the end," Yagudin said. "We were expecting a bitter fight by Zhenya Plushenko with other strong skaters, but we didn't get it."

"I think [he] will understand my words: We always competed through the pain."

Plushenko helped Russia to gold in the inaugural team event Sunday, but his ability to compete in the men's event had long been in question, given that the injury-plagued skater would have to perform four programs in eight days.

Long troubled by back and knee problems, Plushenko said he has had 12 operations since winning silver at the 2010 Olympics.
    http://www.themoscowtimes.com/sochi2...lling-Out.html
    Last edited by Laurent; February 14th, 2014 at 10:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Laurent View Post
    As much as I love Johnny, I swear he isn't designing costumes for Hanyu so much as just recycling his own on him.

In other news, Yags is side-eyeing Plush.

Olympic Skater Rival Yagudin Criticizes Plushenko for Pulling Out | The Moscow Times
    Yags makes some good points...well, no, not really. I think he is just bitter.

Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread Information