Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
Like Tree146Likes

Thread: 2014 Sochi Olympics *SPOILER* thread

I love watching the dutch speed skaters, they're great. And for some reason the bright orange outfits makes me happy.

I loved the Dutch royals clapping madly!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Quote Originally Posted by Rusalka View Post
    I love watching the dutch speed skaters, they're great. And for some reason the bright orange outfits makes me happy.
    The Dutch King & Queen sure were proud and happy!

Last edited by HWBL; February 8th, 2014 at 05:42 PM.
    Laurent likes this.
    Warren Beatty: actor, director, writer, producer.

***** celeb

Those are some happy Royals!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

The U.S. won a gold and a bronze today. Sage Kotsenburg won gold in the men's snowboard slopestyle and Hannah Kearney won bronze in ladies' freestyle skiing.

Current medal count:

Norway: 2 Gold, 1 Silver, 1 Bronze
    Canada: 1 Gold, 1 Silver, 1 Bronze
    Netherlands: 1 Gold, 1 Silver, 1 Bronze
    U.S.: 1 Gold, 1 Bronze
    Austria: 1 Silver
    Sweden: 1 Silver
    Czech Republic: 1 Bronze
    “What are you looking at, sugar-tits?” - Mel Gibson

Norway is starting off big! I like them,too.

The five countries qualified for the figure skating team final are Russia, Canada, USA, Japan, and Italy. Carolina Kostner of Italy skated a beautiful short porgram to Ave Maria, I thought she should have been in first. Yulia Lipnitskaya is too immature for my tastes; her skating is small and childish.

Ashley Wagner redeems herself taking Team USA to the final

Photo by Streeter Lecka/Getty Images

February 8, 2014

Ashley Wagner began her path of redemption today, February 8, proving to herself and the world that she is worthy to be on the Olympic Team. The pressure was on for her as her performance would determine if Team USA would make the figure skating team event final, and she came through.

Ashley skated a strong performance that included a triple flip-triple toe combination, but it was considered under rotated. Even still it was a step in the right direction as she delivered a solid performance landing her in fourth place and giving Team USA another seven points.

"I'm really pleased at what I was able to accomplish out there," Ashley told the media,"The entire program was about redemption for me."
    When asked about her score she responded, "I know what I'm capable of and what this program is capable of. I don't agree with the marks, but that's what the individual event is for. I will just have to take a look at protocols."

Ashley's performance puts Team USA into third place going into the finals where the free skates will be performed in each of the disciplines. The pairs free skate will continue today.

Team Russia is currently in the lead after a brilliant performance by Julia Lipnitskaia. Only 15-years-old this young skater was absolutely fabulous and will be a definite contender in the individual event.

Keeping Team Italy in the running, was a stunning skate by Carolina Kostner who came in second place with a dazzling performance to Ava Maria.
    Japan's Mao Asada attempted her triple axel and under rotated the jump and fell, putting Asada into a surprising third place. The miss on the triple axel really hurt her, but Team Japan is still in the running for the final.

It should be an exciting event to the finish as the first team figure skating medals will be awarded tomorrow after the free skates. The pairs free skate begins today with the ice dance, mens and ladies free skate set for tomorrow. So stay tuned as the drama continues to unfold.

Team Event: Ladies short programs standings
    1. Julia Lipnitskaia RUS - 72.90
    2. Carolina Kostner ITA - 70.84
    3. Mao Asada JPN - 64.07
    4. Ashley Wagner USA - 63.10
    5. Kaetlyn Osmond CAN - 62.54
    6. Mae Berenice Meite FRA - 55.45
    7. Kexin Zhang CHN - 54.58
    8. Natalia Popova UKR - 53.44
    9. Nathalie Weinzierl GER - 52.16
    10. Jenna McCorkell GBR - 50.09
    Overall Team Standings after the ladies short:
    1. Russia - 37
    2. Canada - 32
    3. United States - 27
    4. Japan - 24
    5. Italy - 23
    6. France - 22
    7. China - 20
    8. Germany - 17
    9. Ukraine - 10
    10. Great Britain - 8

http://www.examiner.com/article/ashl...a-to-the-final

a stunning skate by Carolina Kostner
    There's something I've never read much.
    Fly_On_TheWall likes this.

Usually it's stunning in the opposite sense, her previous Olympics skates have certainly left me stunned...
    Laurent likes this.

I read it and thought of you, Rusalka.

Lay off Chan, he is the best, says Sale

By Pritha Sarkar

SOCHI, Russia Sat Feb 8, 2014 2:44pm GMT

Patrick Chan of Canada competes during the Team Men Short Program at the Sochi 2014 Winter Olympics, February 6, 2014.
    REUTERS/Brian Snyder
    Credit: Reuters/Brian Snyder

(Reuters) - Perfection is something every skater strives for but for Patrick Chan, producing a flawless skate at a major global meet has proved to be his Achilles - or Axel - heel.

He has won three world titles and is on the cusp of ending Canada's century-long wait for a men's Olympic champion.

But time and again he is reminded more about his flaws than his triumphs and 2002 Olympic pairs champion Jamie Sale said her fellow Canadian should be applauded for what he produces rather than being blamed for exploiting the scoring system.

"Patrick has a lot of wonderful top quality attributes about his skating and that is why he wins. It's not about landing a quad and skating perfect," Sale told Reuters in a telephone interview from her home in Edmonton.

"I have never seen anybody with edge quality like him. To me that is figure skating. It's amazing to do a quad but they are all doing it now.

"Patrick has amazing skating qualities... his edge work, his spins, his gracefulness and his effortlessness - that also accounts for a lot. That is why somebody wins without skating perfectly.

"When he does his footwork, I'm in awe. He's unbelievable."

Unfortunately for Chan, what most people find unbelievable is that he can pick up three world championship golds while staggering through his programmes.

At the 2011 worlds in Moscow, he stumbled out of a triple Axel during his free skate and 12 months later in Nice, his win was greeted with deafening boos and whistles after he crash- landed on his bottom following a relatively simple double Axel.

If that was bad, his shell-shocked face turned the same shade as Canada's Maple Leaf flag after he hit the ice twice during an error-riddled long programme in front of his home fans in London, Ontario, at the 2013 worlds.

HIGH MARKS

It was a performance that left him banging his head in frustration and mouthing the word 'sorry' to everyone as soon as his high marks flashed up.

His win last year led to former champions attacking the result while one incensed critic started collecting signatures to petition the governing body to overturn the result,

"Even people who know skating, it's kind of weird and frustrating to see someone not skate cleanly and winning," admitted Sale, who won gold with her former husband David Pelletier after being a victim of the Salt Lake City judging scandal that led to the scoring system being revamped to its current accumulative points format.

"Someone like my mom, who's been a skating mother all her life will watch and (say) ‘I don't understand that. I loved his skating but he just fell three times. How did he win?'

"It's because when he's skating, he's racking up the points with the other stuff he's doing. That's how the scoring system works."

Sale, however, admitted that for the sake of Chan's legacy, she hopes the 23-year-old has saved his best skate for the Sochi Olympics.

He has already had one failed attempt, when he botched his triple Axel - yet again - on the opening day of competition on Thursday.

But luckily for the Canadian, he will have another shot at perfection as 'Take 1' was during the team competition which is making its Olympic debut this year.

"He should have a really great skate, and know he was solid and that he really deserved to win that competition because he was fabulous," Sale said.

"You want to feel really proud about it. You don't want to go home and hear left, right and centre that you fell three times!"

(Editing by Ed Osmond)
    Lay off Chan, he is the best, says Sale | Reuters
    Rusalka likes this.

Well since Jamie Sale likes him I guess I'll have to change my mind... She is the paradigm of good taste.

A*O

Hahahahaha sports mad Aussies HATE the Winter Olympics because apart from a couple of snowboarders or aerial skiers (a "sport" apparently) we don't stand a snowball in hell's chance of a medal in anything. Pun intended. But we might see another freakish accidental gold like Steve Bradbury speed skating after everyone else crashed on the last corner and he cruised over the finish lime.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Maybe there's still hope for your motherland. How's GB's chances look in the games?

Kramer is a legend.

Considering GB puts almost no time or money into winter sports, our opportunities at these games aren't too terrible. Shelley Rudman (women's skeleton) is our best shot at a medal, and a couple of the short track speed skaters and our women's curling team could be an outside shot.
    Laurent likes this.

Wagner needs to dial the obnoxious hair flipping all the way down. How are two-footed jumps counted? Are they given credit as fully rotated triples that just don't get a positive grade of execution or are they downgraded to doubles?

And watching that lead-in piece on AW from the segment where they showed her announcement to the team, I get the feeling that Gracie was giving her a full side-eye for being named in place of Mirai. Or maybe she just doesn't like her.

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread Information