Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast
Like Tree146Likes

Thread: 2014 Sochi Olympics *SPOILER* thread

Silver Member

Someone described Kostner as Big Bird on ice...and how bad was it for Yulia?
    BITTER likes this.

It wasn't awful but you could see the pressure got to her. Fell on her flip, landed forward so it wasn't even all the way around. Her skating looked particularly childish today too. I used to get the gangly thing from Carolina but she's slowly transformed me into a hardcore fangirl these past few seasons.

I keep reading that Mao had a come-apart, but haven't seen it. Whatever it was must've been ugly, because she's in 16th place.
    “What are you looking at, sugar-tits?” - Mel Gibson

Oh it was bad. Triple axel underrotated fall, triple flip underrotated, DOUBLE loop. Ugh.

I feel bad for her. Sounds like all the Japanese ladies are struggling.

I saw upthread where you said you'd put Carolina into first?! Was she that great or has Yuna lost a step? I saw there is just an asshair between her and Adelina. I know they want to keep things close so the free will be interesting, but that's really close. Having not seen it, all the results have me scratching my head. Adelina is the new Russian darling, Yuna barely in first, Carolina in 3rd but maybe should be in first, Mao off in 16th. And most shockingly, all the U.S. ladies are in the top 7. Does not compute.

Honestly, I've never been a huge fan of Yu Na. Her lack of turn out/pointed feet kill it for me a bit, although she's undeniably lovely and an incredible jumper. I can see why she's in first, I'm not arguing against the judging (apart from Adelina's score...) but just in terms of personal preference I'd have given it to Carolina today. Her program moves me in a way Yu Na's doesn't. Carolina's program today was one of the best performances I've seen in this sport ever. It was transcendent.
    Slushie and sparkles like this.

I guess I still have a set idea about Carolina's skating in my head that I haven't let go of yet. If she skated her ass off, good for her. Hope she pulls it out in the long, too.

Was Sotnikova massively overscored after Lipnitskaya wasn't clean to the point it was obvious or is this a legitimate grab for gold?

LOL no, she's just Russia's go to girl for a podium spot after Lipnitskaya crashed. She was good and a solid third, but she should not be essentially tied with Yu Na and Carolina. Especially since she only did a triple toe-triple toe combo. Her program components are basically the same as Yu Na's. Despite not being a Yu Na uber I can still recognize how marvelous she is, she's just not to my taste. Sotnikova is NOT in the same league yet.

Ok, thanks. I just wasn't expecting her to be sitting .28 points behind Yuna. Even knowing they'd want a Russian in the running, I still didn't think about it being her. Like you said Kostner pulled stuff out of her bag of tricks that she hasn't trotted out in over 4 years, I wondered if maybe Sotnikova had been holding her cards close to her chest waiting to strike.

If Lipnitskaya had skated clean I guarantee you Adelina wouldn't have scored quite that high.
    Laurent and C_is_for_Cookie like this.

Yulia looked like a very limber youngster out there today - her program just wasn't very mature, fall or no fall. And she's got great moves, and I agree about Kostner. She skated fabulously today and should be higher. I hate figure skating judging.
    Rusalka and sparkles like this.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

A*O

I am sick to death of the stunt skiers/boarders (sorry, it's not a "sport") whining about the weather, the course, the scoring, the fact it's snowing (Duh), their coaches, the food, on and on. Have you considered that the reason you didn't do very well is that you just weren't good enough?
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Kostner was fabulous. Lovely, high-flighted jumps and gorgeous skating skills, plus she looked so relaxed and confident. I hope she wins silver, and this is coming from somebody who used to dislike her.

I actually don't find Sotnikova's scoring as ridiculous as Lipnitskaya's. Sotnikova has almighty jumps and more developed and less juniorish skills than Lipnitskaya, and her spins were of good quality (which was the only thing that let Kim down), so her score was expected IMO.

What a godawful night for Japan, particularly Mao. I think she'll fuck up the LP too, she just doesn't have the jumps any more.

Polina Edmunds deserves a big clap for performing as well as she did on her senior debut at the Olympics. Well done to her.
    Laurent and Rusalka like this.

Yes - Polina Edwards was wonderful. Imagine doing that on a global scale at 15, not falling, and being able to skate off the ice knowing you did your best.

And USA USA USA! Hockey victory! We play Canada on Friday. Russia is out on their butts.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Rusalka View Post
    If Lipnitskaya had skated clean I guarantee you Adelina wouldn't have scored quite that high.
    She benefited from what a poster on TWOP called "skating while Russian"

I hope that Carolina can keep her shit together and finally get that Olympic medal.
    Brookie likes this.

Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread Information