Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast
Like Tree146Likes

Thread: 2014 Sochi Olympics *SPOILER* thread

A*O

Just saw Iitititch/Katspawovah. Very smooth. Then the Brits. The "music"!!! Very scrappy.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Quote Originally Posted by stella blue View Post
    Well, I'd take that as a compliment considering Americans are probably viewed as all riding our scooters around Walmart.
    Nope, they're/we're not. It's probably because most of the Dutch are well traveled and know more about countries other than their own. And sadly, not just for economic reasons but also because of a lack of interest in anything that is not related to us, many Americans travels indeed start and stop at the local Walmart.
    Warren Beatty: actor, director, writer, producer.

***** celeb

Quote Originally Posted by Rusalka View Post
    Now who predicted a Russian team in third? I bet you're all shocked right?
    I thought it would be Bobrova and Soloviev, though they proved to be even more awful than their usual.

If you want to see ice dancing perfection - catch Davis and White later on prime time. They just took the gold medal with 5 points to spare over the Canadians. I am speechless, and that rarely happens.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

The top 5 free dances (Weaver and Poje's being the fifth best, not that Bobrova and Soloviev garbage) were all incredible. Really excellent viewing.

I enjoyed the US couple that skated to Michael Jackson. It was nice hearing more current music for a performance.

Silver Member

Rosie DiManno of the Toronto Star is throwing a fit over Davis/White beating Virtue/Moir:

Virtue-Moir suspicious second after Olympic ice dance short: DiManno | Toronto Star

Best use of music of the night goes to that 3rd place Russian pair who did that lift at the very start of their Swan Lake program where he lifts her and she just arches her back right on time. OH THE DELICIOUS DRAMA!
    Laurent likes this.

Such perfection! All of them wre at their personal bests and the score showed that. Wonderful!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Quote Originally Posted by Fairy View Post
    Rosie DiManno of the Toronto Star is throwing a fit over Davis/White beating Virtue/Moir:

Virtue-Moir suspicious second after Olympic ice dance short: DiManno | Toronto Star
    what an overwritten pool of saliva.
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

Jeremy Abbott Gives His Detractors Da' FINGAH!!

SOCHI, Russia -- Teenager Jason Brown of the USA was pleased and smiling Friday night after a ninth-place finish in Olympic figure skating debut. But for his veteran teammate, Jeremy Abbott, one question struck a nerve after he placed 12th. Abbott flipped, sort of.
    Abbot is a four-time U.S. champion. He placed ninth at the 2010 Olympics. After battling through his free skate with a hip injury sustained on a fall the night before, he basically was asked what he would say to people who say he has a pattern of falling apart at big international events. He also fell in the team competition last week.
    "You know I just want to put my middle finger in the air and say a big, 'F-U,' to everyone who's ever said that to me," Abbott told media gathered in the interview area, according to a tape recording of the exchange.
    "Because they've never stood in my shoes, and they've never had to do what I had to do. Nobody has to stand center ice in front of a million people and put an entire career on the line for eight minutes of their life when they've been doing it for 20 some years.
    "And it you think that's not hard then you're a damn idiot. So some people can handle it better than others, but everyone has that mental struggle. And everyone goes through the same doubt and the same thing. I'm not alone, and everyone has their highs and their lows and they just come at different moments. Some people have their moment at the Olympics, and some people a have theirs at national championships."
    Abbott, 28, skated a clean program in the free skate, despite a hip injury sustained the night before when he crashed into the padded wall after falling on an attempted quadruple jump in the short program to place 15th. In the free skate, he made a split second decision to go for a triple instead of the opening quad and posted a score of 160.12 and 232.70 overall.
    When I woke up this morning, I had a lot more pain than there was last night," said Abbott. "Basically, I'm bruised from my hips to my ribs and the muscles and in my right glute (backside) and my hip, all the way up to my ribs to my shoulder were all seized up."
    SKATING: Hanyu wins gold
    OLYMPICS: U.S. tied for medal lead
    His said first instinct was to go out and try the opening quad "even if I fell down." But before he went out to skate, he got some words from his coaches, Yuka Sato and Jason Dungjen.
    "Yuka and Jason said, 'Just be smart, do what you can do, and do it well.' ''
    He said followed that plan just before he launched his first jump.
    "In that literal split second, I was like, 'Alright, the quad is not going to happen. Just stay smart, stay on your feet,' and that's what I did." said Abbott.
    Abbott also dialed back some other jumps, including a planned triple loop that became a double axel. But he stayed upright.
    "I am good enough to be on the podium here," said Abbott. "I won't be, but I truly believed coming in that I had a chance to do it if I could give myself that opportunity to do a clean skate. And so I put a little too much pressure on myself to have to skate that clean program because I just wanted it so bad."

The performances of Abbott and Brown combined to give the USA its worst men's figure skating Olympics since 1936.
    Brown, 19, of Highland Park, Ill., doesn't yet have a quad. But he was sixth in the short program and within striking distance of a bronze.
    In his free skate, he was marked down on a triple axel/triple toe combo. He lost points on a triple axel when he touched down with his hand. His scores were 152.37 in the free and 238.37 overall.
    "I went out there and I had fun and I performed, and that was my main goal," said Brown. "I've worked hard so hard all year, and I just wanted to perform this program.
    "I definitely had a few slips, as you may have seen, but you the performance was there, and I just wanted to perform."
    Brown skated the Riverdance music of Reel Around the Sun by Bill Whelan.
    Any nerves?
    "No, I was really relaxed. There are nerves at every event that you do," said Brown. "I've worked so hard to like calm those nerves. And I felt really calm out there."
    Skating last, he finished behind a collection of quad jumpers. The skaters ahead of him went down one after another on their quads. But they still piled up points.
    "It (the quad) is definitely something that is really important," said Brown. "I'm working on it every day. When I do land it, it will be in that program."
    Abbott, meanwhile, plans to retire after this season. Sato, his coach, said Abbott plans to compete at the world championships in March in Japan. He finished eighth at the 2012 worlds.
    "I'm proud to be standing here," said Abbott. "I'm a four-time national champion. I'm a two-time Olympian, and no one can take that away from me."

But he's ignoring that one small fact, and that is he has choked when it counted. I'm not one of those people who was inspired by him at Sochi. I think he lacks accountability. You don't have to be a skater in his shoes or standing where he's "at" to see that.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...ating/5480137/
    Laurent likes this.
    Good luck getting a cat to do anything let alone join in on your sexcapades. - Air Quotes

Personally, I think ALL figure skating scoring is suspicious as hell. It's all subjective to begin with, and it doesn't help much that NOBODY understands how it's done anymore. Having said that, Davis and White skated nearly perfectly from what I know of the sport and were together on moves they were supposed to be together on. Virtue and Moir were fabulous too, and it's weird that they were a full 5 points behind D/W.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

Silver Member

Congratulations to Viktor Ahn for winnng the gold in the 1000m in short track. His first gold competing under Russia since he became a citizen.

I see the Russian fed picked a new girl to push onto the podium after Yulia imploded. Carolina Kostner from Italy was astounding. She elevated the entire sport with that perfromance. And she randomly pulled out that triple flip-triple toe combination out of nowhere, she hasn't done that since before Vancouver. I am stunned. I'd have her in first actually. Sotnikova should have been in third by a few points.
    ETA: I'm convinced Ashley Wagner had a Mao voodoo doll backstage. Ashley just barely squeaked into the top six and therefore the final warm up for the long thanks to Mao. Ouch, that was seriously bad. Poor girl.

If they have ice skating in the Winter Olympics, I thinks they should have roller derby in the summer Olympics.
    That would be fun to watch! Hell, they have enough other worthless sports tossed in there.
    Did you know that an anagram for "Conscious Uncoupling" is "Iconic Uncool Pus Guns"? - MohandasKGanja

Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread Information