Page 48 of 48 FirstFirst ... 384445464748

Thread: 2010 Winter Olympics in Vancouver!

Hit By Ban Bus!

Russia's Olympic 'humiliation'

By Rupert Wingfield-Hayes
    BBC News, Moscow

In a country that spends half the year shrouded in snow the Winter Olympics is a very big deal indeed. Russians expect great things of their Winter Olympians, and in the past they have not been disappointed.

Canada stun Russia in men's ice hockey

From the 1950s to the 1980s the Soviet Union led the medals table at seven Winter Games.
    The Soviet ice hockey team won virtually every Olympic and World Championship for four decades. And in figure skating a Soviet or Russian pair has won gold at every Olympics since 1964.
    But this week in Vancouver Russia has watched as its team heads for Olympic humiliation.
    When Russia's figure skating super star Evgeni Plushchenko failed to win gold he, and many Russians, refused to accept the result.
    "Unfair marking" by the judges had stolen victory from him, he said.
    Russia's Prime Minister Vladmir Putin agreed, sending a telegram calling him a "true champion".
    But on Thursday night there was no questioning the result. Russia's ice hockey stars were comprehensively defeated by Canada by a resounding 7-3.
    Losing at figure skating is one thing. But ice hockey is a Russian national obsession.
    "We didn't just lose, we lost tremendously, historically," wrote Russian TV presenter Vladmir Solovyov on his blog.
    "Russia was thrashed by Canada," wrote another commentator on the popular website Gazeta.ru. "We have completely failed in Vancouver."
    Olympic 'tourists'
    Mr Putin is a fanatical sportsman. He has vowed repeatedly to rebuild Russia's sporting prowess.

Russian sports officials thought they had created a secret formula. Spend millions on PR, and promise athletes top dollars for winning. It turns out it takes more than this to win medals

Russian commentator

Over the past 10 years his government has spent millions of dollars on new training programmes. Now people are starting to ask why there is nothing to show for it.
    "Before the games the government propaganda machine convinced Russians that they should expect triumph in Vancouver," wrote another commentator on Gazeta.ru.
    "Russian sports officials thought they had created a secret formula. Spend millions on PR, and promise athletes top dollars for winning. It turns out it takes more than this to win medals"
    Meanwhile, Mr Solovyov has turned his ire on the multitude of Russian sports officials attending the Olympics in Vancouver.
    "Our sportsmen are forced to hasten home, as there is no money for an extra night in a hotel," he writes.
    "Instead high-ranking 'tourists' arrive. How many of these 'people's servants', their wives and lovers are at the games?" he asks. "And who is paying for all of this?"
    None of this bodes particularly well for the next winter Olympics in 2014.
    On Sunday the Olympic torch will be passed on from Vancouver to the city of Sochi. For the first time ever the Winter Olympics is coming to Russia.
    But with three days to go, its athletes have won just three gold medals, only one more than very unwintry Australia.

"Russian sports officials thought they had created a secret formula. Spend millions on PR, and promise athletes top dollars for winning. It turns out it takes more than this to win medals"
    Talent helps too, not just promises.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

Here's my confusion on the McKeever situation. Was he an alternate or was he an athlete who qualified to participate in his race? If he was an alternate, then I get it. If he qualified, then they should have let him participate, no matter how they thought he would perform - that's the whole point of the olympics.
    If i hear one more personal attack, i will type while drunk, then you can cry! - Bugdoll
    (716): I'd call her a cunt, but she doesn't seem to have the depth or warmth
    Quote Originally Posted by shedevilang View Post
    (Replying to MontanaMama) This is some of the smartest shit I ever read

Quote Originally Posted by MontanaMama View Post
    Here's my confusion on the McKeever situation. Was he an alternate or was he an athlete who qualified to participate in his race? If he was an alternate, then I get it. If he qualified, then they should have let him participate, no matter how they thought he would perform - that's the whole point of the olympics.

They do their team sports differently in Canada. Apparently you just qualify for the team and then the coach decides who participates, unlike the U.S. where you earn your spot or earn being an alternate and only get to play if someone gets hurt. Here in the U.S., if he had qualified in 1st place (like he did in fact do) then he would definitely be the guy competing.

This whole story is pure discrimination against the disabled and it sucks out loud.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

WHISTLER, B.C. -- It was a story that everyone gravitated to, a story that was impossible to resist. The final chapter was supposed to be written on Sunday morning when Brian McKeever, a legally blind and impossibly brave Canadian cross country skier, would have become the first Paralympian to race among able-bodied athletes at an Olympic Games.
    Nothing much to add except, wasn't there a woman that was an amputee with a prosthetic leg that swam for South Africa (I think) at one of the recent summer Olympics?

Wonder who the cameraman had a crush on?

Quote Originally Posted by WhoAmI View Post
    Wonder who the cameraman had a crush on?

I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

i'm in yer manifesto, correcting your spelling mistakes

Quote Originally Posted by L1049 View Post
    Nothing much to add except, wasn't there a woman that was an amputee with a prosthetic leg that swam for South Africa (I think) at one of the recent summer Olympics?
    Yes, i think it was the Beijing Olympics and it was some kind of endurance swim in the ocean (?).

I'll have to do some research about the McKeever situation. I don't think there was one official Trials competition per se. So to say that he qualified first might not be accurate. I think they had several competitions to meet the qualification standard. So, even if he won the last qualifying meet, his time might have been the worst out of the 5 who made the team. Does that make sense? This is my understanding of how athletes make the Olympics.
    "Hope everyone' shavin a good one!" - Karistiona

LMAO, watching Colbert right now and they're doing a spoof on how the Olympic commentators are really the ones who should be up for medals since they never showed any actual sporting events.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Fuck Russia.

Quote Originally Posted by L1049 View Post
    Natalie du Toit is who you're thinking of:
    Natalie du Toit OIS (born January 29, 1984) is a South African swimmer. She is best known for the gold medals she won at the 2004 Paralympic Games as well as the Commonwealth Games. She was one of two Paralympians to compete at the 2008 Summer Olympics in Beijing; the other being table tennis player Natalia Partyka.[1] Du Toit became the first amputee ever to qualify for the Olympics, where she placed 16th in the 10K, "Marathon", swim.[2][3]
    Natalie du Toit - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    "Oh! I've been looking for a red suede pump!"
    - Marie (Carrie Fisher), When Harry Met Sally

Quote Originally Posted by McJag View Post
    Well he got over it in 2 hours, your turn now!
    Ya he did some serious flip-flopping!
    "My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable and I'm just ferocious. I want your heart. I want to eat your children. Praise be to Allah." TEAM MILEY!!

Page 48 of 48 FirstFirst ... 384445464748

Thread Information