Page 47 of 48 FirstFirst ... 37434445464748 LastLast

Thread: 2010 Winter Olympics in Vancouver!

pretty much
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Why didn't the Canadian athletes respect a blind man who had beaten them in the time trials and step aside when TPTB made the decision to put them in the race above the one who earned the spot? Is that the Olympic spirit or just greed?
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

it wasn't up to them?
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

How is it not up to them? Did someone hold a gun to their head to make them race? They probably would have finished better if someone had.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

don't they have the paralympics for anyone with a disability? i didn't even know they could compete in the regular olympics.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Yes, he was in the paralympics.

Here's another take on the issue:

WHISTLER, B.C. -- It was a story that everyone gravitated to, a story that was impossible to resist. The final chapter was supposed to be written on Sunday morning when Brian McKeever, a legally blind and impossibly brave Canadian cross country skier, would have become the first Paralympian to race among able-bodied athletes at an Olympic Games.

That was the ending everyone wanted. It was a happy ending we had come to expect. On Friday night the story took a heartbreaking twist. The Canadian team announced its four-man lineup for the 50-kilometre marathon ski and McKeever had failed to make the cut.

"I am not happy," McKeever said. "I am very, very crushed by the decision. But I understand the decision. Our boys are racing so fast and they have deserved everything they have got. I stand behind them 100%."

McKeever's Olympic dream got crunched in the numbers game. He was always the fifth Beatle on the men's team, and the four other guys in the band -- Alex Harvey, George Grey, Devon Kershaw and Ivan Babikov -- have spent the past two weeks performing blowing away expectations. Every one has notched a top 10 finish. All four men were among the top 16 in the 30km race.

Dave Wood, one of the Canadian coaches, described the talent gap between McKeever and his top four guns as "significant." Wood wanted McKeever to race. Hell, everybody did. But how could he ask a healthy athlete performing at his peak to step aside? It is just not how the game works.

"All the time we race the best people and everybody is ranked, and Brian is our No. 5 guy," Wood says. "When he qualified for the Olympics, he qualified like any other athlete, and so why should he be treated any different than anybody else?"

Inge Braten, another Canadian coach, broke the bad news to McKeever. Braten has been in the business for 44 years. He says it was the toughest thing he has ever had to do.

"He was weeping," Braten says. "And I can tell you I was also weeping when I have to tell him that. I am really sorry for Brian."

For McKeever, the disappointment was painted with anger, and tears. He respects his coaches' decision, but he is not happy about it. This was something he wanted, badly, and worked for years to get.

The Canadians may have a chance to win a medal in the 50km. More likely they don't. Some would argue McKeever's participation in the event would resonate more than any medal -- or personal bests -- ever could. McKeever was poised to make history. And he missed it by that much.

"It is a hard one to swallow," McKeever says, his voice breaking. "But I hope at least we have raised the profile of the Paralympic Games. The qualification [for the Olympics] itself was a big victory. It didn't end up the way I wanted."

The 30-year-old Calgary native was not sure whether he would be sticking around to watch Sunday's race. The weather has been soggy in Whistler, and not ideal for training, and McKeever has another Games to get ready for.

He has won seven Paralympic medals, four of them gold, and he will be back in Whistler on March 9 looking to win some more.

"As much as it's hard now, we've got something to focus on at the Paralympics," McKeever said. "I'll get fired up to race in those events. Hopefully, I'll be around in another four years.

And maybe things will be different four years from now. Maybe McKeever will be among the big guns and have a chance to add another chapter to the story, and give us the happy ending we were hoping for.

Vancouver Now - Brian McKeever's Olympic dream over - Joe O'Connor

Quote Originally Posted by Bellatheball View Post
    Cheering for Canada feels a bit like cheering for your brother (the one you like, not the crazy one). How could you ever root against them?
    While I felt that way about every other event...I had no problem cheering AGAINST Sidney Crosby! LOL he is a Penguin afterall!

I am a little worried about the Caps playing Ryan Miller and the Sabres tomorrow...

I'm gonna miss the Olympics!
    Quote Originally Posted by Celestial View Post
    I also choose to believe the rumors because I am, when it is all said and done, a dirty gossip.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    Yes, he was in the paralympics.

Here's another take on the issue:

I call BS. His specialty is the 50 and he beats the rest of the Candian team at 50. Goof for the other guys for doing well in their events, but the best member was NOT fielded in that particular race.

The coaches apparently felt differently

So they're the blind ones now? They didn't see him beat the rest of the team at the time trials? Strange.

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    don't they have the paralympics for anyone with a disability? i didn't even know they could compete in the regular olympics.
    Sure they can, as long as they qualify themselves for the Olympics.

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    i'm glad canada won gold medal for hockey. it seems fitting since they were hosting the olympics and i think it's the sport they care the most about.
    I think all of us were happy for the Canadian team. We gave them a serious scare, and that was one fantastic game! I was really excited for them AND the number of golds they won. The Canadians went all out for the games,heart and soul. Everyone here in US has been raving about them and a whole new & tiny generation is insprired. Thank you,Canada!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Quote Originally Posted by McJag View Post
    I think all of us were happy for the Canadian team. We gave them a serious scare, and that was one fantastic game! I was really excited for them AND the number of golds they won. The Canadians went all out for the games,heart and soul. Everyone here in US has been raving about them and a whole new & tiny generation is insprired. Thank you,Canada!
    Nope...I'm with Ryan Kesler on this one.
    "My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable and I'm just ferocious. I want your heart. I want to eat your children. Praise be to Allah." TEAM MILEY!!

Quote Originally Posted by TheONe View Post
    Nope...I'm with Ryan Kesler on this one.
    Well he got over it in 2 hours, your turn now!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Quote Originally Posted by greysfang View Post
    I call BS. His specialty is the 50 and he beats the rest of the Candian team at 50. Goof for the other guys for doing well in their events, but the best member was NOT fielded in that particular race.
    I don't know how McKeever ranked against his teammates, but the Babikov guy almost won a bronze medal. And probably would've won it if he didn't fall down on the last curve entering the stadium. He finished fifth.

After watching that race, I highly doubt any of the Canadians could've won the gold in the 50K; Northug's sprint at the end was too strong.
    "Oh! I've been looking for a red suede pump!"
    - Marie (Carrie Fisher), When Harry Met Sally

Thread Information