Page 39 of 48 FirstFirst ... 29353637383940414243 ... LastLast

Thread: 2010 Winter Olympics in Vancouver!

i'm in yer manifesto, correcting your spelling mistakes

^^ I was coached by East Germams when i started gymnastics. They were ALL business in the gym but were fun and funny outside. The head coach was the mother of the star pupil--and she referred to her as Mrs. Goermann during training. In the gym she was coach, all other times she was mom.
    "Hope everyone' shavin a good one!" - Karistiona

Default Dutch bobsledders quit Olympics due to driver's fear of having an accident

Fear prompts bobsledders to quit Olympics
    By Steve Almasy, CNN

STORY HIGHLIGHTS
    -NEW: Coach Tom de la Hunty: "I have to support" the pilot's decision
    -NEW: Teammate: "If you ask me if I want to slide I'd say, 'Yes'. But I don't have to steer"
    --Edwin van Calker, driver of the Dutch four-man bobsled quits the Games citing lack of confidence
    -Van Calker said his decision is unrelated to death of Georgian luger

(CNN) -- Tom de la Hunty took Dutch bobsledder Edwin van Calker to the Whistler Sliding Center track one last time Tuesday and asked his driver if he could do it.

He wasn't asking him to win; he was asking him whether he could compete. The coach and his pilot walked the course, and de la Hunty told van Calker to think about it, giving him an hour to make a decision.

Time offered no healing. Van Calker told his coach he just couldn't drive this track and so on Wednesday the four-man No. 1 sled from the Netherlands pulled out of the Olympics.

Because their driver was terrified.

"I've never seen someone get to a major event and not compete because they're scared. You keep your inner fears to yourself and do it," de la Hunty told reporters at a news conference. "That's why it's such a popular sport in the military. It's that kind of macho sport. You go over the top together."

Van Calker, ranked 11th on the World Cup four-man tour, crashed on his first run during two-man practice on Saturday. That and the memories of other crashes, including one that resulted in two teammates in the hospital, were too much for van Calker.

He never felt comfortable on the track during the two-man competition when he and teammate Sybren Jansma finished 14th. He and the rest of the four-man team were absent from two training runs on Tuesday, as he struggled with what to do. It didn't help that eight sleds crashed on that first day of training.

And so that night, he made the decision to give up.

"I have to look after my boys and can't close my eyes to that," he told reporters. "For me, it's not about performing. It's about surviving."

It was a split decision among the team to quit the games, said de la Hunty, who talked about how he told his driver he was making a choice he would regret forever.

"I've told him that to his face,"de la Hunty said, "but as a coach I have to support it because I'm responsible for him sending his team down the track in the right frame of mind."

For Timothy Beck, who wanted to continue, it was a heart-wrenching outcome to his last Olympics.

The man who carried the Dutch flag in the opening ceremonies said there was no tension on the team, but he wasn't the one looking out for three teammates.

"If you ask me if I want to slide I'd say, 'Yes'. But I don't have to steer; I just get in the back and go down. I don't have the responsibility," said Beck.

But he also said he was upset that he'd come to his third Olympics and would not get a chance to compete.

"This was my last chance to do something special," said the 33-year-old, who competed in the 2002 Winter Olympics and the 2004 Summer Olympics on the track team.

Jansma said he was frustrated because he wanted to show the world the progress the Netherlands has made in bobsled, but safety was paramount.

Arnold van Calker, the fourth member of the team, supported his brother's decision, pointing to the difference in the size of the two- and four-man sleds. The two-man sled is smaller and easier to control. Arnold van Calker, who had his doubts about the safety of the track, worried his brother had lost his nerve and wouldn't be able to steer the big sled through turns 11, 12 and 13.

Not even changes to the track on Tuesday could help reassure the brothers.

"It was a lot better, but for us it was maybe too late," Arnold van Calker said.

De la Hunty pinned some of the blame on Arnold's wife, saying that she had been worried about her husband's safety ever since Georgian luger Nodar Kumaritashvili had crashed and died on the same track during the first day of the games.

"When Arnold is scared and upset, obviously it has influence," he said.

But Arnold van Calker said the death had no influence, and Edwin van Calker agreed that the track was not to blame for his decision.

"It's a challenging and exciting track. You have to deal with it as a pilot. That comes with the job. Sometimes you deal with it less good," he said. "It's nothing to do with the track, just my lack of confidence at the moment."

Find this article at:
    Fear prompts bobsledders to quit Olympics - CNN.com

Quote Originally Posted by Sojiita View Post
    He is gay as the day is long.
    Hmmm, I wonder. I doubt it 'cause I haven't heard anything concrete. All of the other skaters I know are gay I've either seen/met in person or heard from extremely reliable sources. I've only heard gay rumors about Evan whenever he talked like it was his JOB to "butch up" men's skating.

I want Joannie R. to get a medal so bad I can't stand it. *yeah I cried when she broke down after skating.. was hard not too. *
    That would be a classic story, but I don't think she's got the technical prowess that Kim has...

Quote Originally Posted by GaPeach View Post
    you nailed that one!
    The athletes are in spandex and warm ups and the Russian coaches are in these huge fur coats. Maybe it makes them feel rich or something but they have to be sweating like stuck pigs.
    And you know it's real fur too - no fake shit for these Russian divas. They probably killed the bears themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Sojiita View Post
    Why can't some of the hunks on the hockey teams come out of the closet or something..then we would be talking!
    What about Eric Lindros? The gay rumors have been chasing him for years. He is still single too. He was so gorgeous it wasn't funny.

Ladies figure skating is on. For those on the west coast (or anywhere for that matter) here is a link to watch it live:

Watch Live Figure Skating Online Video Vancouver 2010 Winter Olympics - Other
    Did you know that an anagram for "Conscious Uncoupling" is "Iconic Uncool Pus Guns"? - MohandasKGanja

Quote Originally Posted by BITTER View Post
    That would be a classic story, but I don't think she's got the technical prowess that Kim has...
    I would love to see Joannie medal just for the sentamental factor, but really I think of her much like I do Carolina Kostner - always good enough to get to international competitions, rarely great enough to win them. And I hate to say that, because I do like Joannie and am not a fan of Kostner at all, but her frees are always nailbiters.

Hmmm, I wonder. I doubt it 'cause I haven't heard anything concrete. All of the other skaters I know are gay I've either seen/met in person or heard from extremely reliable sources. I've only heard gay rumors about Evan whenever he talked like it was his JOB to "butch up" men's skating.

And you know it's real fur too - no fake shit for these Russian divas. They probably killed the bears themselves.

What about Eric Lindros? The gay rumors have been chasing him for years. He is still single too. He was so gorgeous it wasn't funny.
    Oh how I loved me some Eric Lindros back in the day. I HATED what he did to the Nordiques (love love love Quebec City) but I was willing to overlook it for the goregeousness.

Quote Originally Posted by angelais View Post
    Ladies figure skating is on. For those on the west coast (or anywhere for that matter) here is a link to watch it live:

Watch Live Figure Skating Online Video Vancouver 2010 Winter Olympics - Other
    thanks for the link!
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

Quote Originally Posted by McJag View Post
    This is so cute-from Yahoo news:
    Video: Norway's Alpine skiing team dances to 'Beat It'

By Trey Kerby
    This is a video of the Norwegian Alpine ski team dancing to "Beat It" by Michael Jackson. It's four guys alone on a snow-covered mountain dancing their hearts out. It's amazing.

So so adorable. I love Norwegians.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Lindros was such a bust! I honestly liked John LeClair alot more on "The Legion of Doom"! Lindros just ended up being the poster child for concussions.
    "My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable and I'm just ferocious. I want your heart. I want to eat your children. Praise be to Allah." TEAM MILEY!!

^^ Yes. But he was hot. What else were we discussing?

Quote Originally Posted by Bellatheball View Post
    ^^ Yes. But he was hot. What else were we discussing?
    Sorry!
    "My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable and I'm just ferocious. I want your heart. I want to eat your children. Praise be to Allah." TEAM MILEY!!

Hit By Ban Bus!

McJag I can't believe even the coach was in on it!

Quote Originally Posted by GaPeach View Post
    McJag I can't believe even the coach was in on it!
    I know! He was the one out of step!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Quote Originally Posted by Laurent View Post
    I would love to see Joannie medal just for the sentamental factor, but really I think of her much like I do Carolina Kostner - always good enough to get to international competitions, rarely great enough to win them. And I hate to say that, because I do like Joannie and am not a fan of Kostner at all, but her frees are always nailbiters.
    I am not a Kostner fan. I think she has the wrong body type for skating.

Delighted that Joannie made the podium. Great girl!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bellatheball View Post
    Oh how I loved me some Eric Lindros back in the day. I HATED what he did to the Nordiques (love love love Quebec City) but I was willing to overlook it for the goregeousness.
    He's still foxy, albeit a little heavier. But aren't we all?

HAven't seen him lately. I heard he's bald and I want the 20 year old image of him seared into my head.

Thread Information