Page 38 of 48 FirstFirst ... 28343536373839404142 ... LastLast

Thread: 2010 Winter Olympics in Vancouver!

It was just shitty skating. After 2006, there were no really excellent skaters waiting in the wings for some reason. The Russian Federation didn't see fit to nurture anyone else....and even if they had, once again, no guarantees, no promises....

Hit By Ban Bus!

Quote Originally Posted by Moongirl View Post
    Posted: Feb 24, 5:01p ET | Updated: Feb 24, 6:07p ET
    Legend blames Russian officials for skating flop
    Irina Rodnina, 3-time Olympic champion, launches a scathing attack

MOSCOW (AFP) Triple Olympic champion Irina Rodnina has launched a scathing attack on the head of the Russian figure skating federation, Valentin Piseyev, blaming him for his team's dismal performance at Vancouver.
    When Russia under went it's transformation and opened up it's doors most of it's top coaches went to other countries to train. Tamara came to the U.S. she even coached Ina and Zimmerman. We had to put up with their nasty remarks as well as share ice time with them. It became a real problem for U.S. skaters. Russia didn't have any funds for their athletic programs, I remember seeing ice rinks in need of serious repair. I thught since Tamara went back to Russia things must be getting better but maybe not because they don't seem to have a good team or a back up team for the future.

Elite Member

There was also the problem that they closed Mosvvina's Lubleiny Palace Ice Rink for renovations for several years. It was at that time that the real problem started. BTW, a piece of trivia for fellow figure skating buffs....did you know that back in the day Moskvina and Mischin were pairs partners? Since then they are the two winningest coaches in the world.

Hit By Ban Bus!

Quote Originally Posted by scooter View Post
    There was also the problem that they closed Mosvvina's Lubleiny Palace Ice Rink for renovations for several years. It was at that time that the real problem started. BTW, a piece of trivia for fellow figure skating buffs....did you know that back in the day Moskvina and Mischin were pairs partners? Since then they are the two winningest coaches in the world.
    Ekaterina accused him of sleeping with girls on the team.

I liked Tamara when she was here, they put her up on some pedestal because of who she was and darned if Ina and Zimmerman didn't get a lot better with her as a coach... it's just Ina crashed and burned.

You know maybe it's just me but The Russian Federation sounds so cold and anti-personal and I can almost hear the storm troopers marching in the back ground.

Hit By Ban Bus!

oh dear---

In the wake of Canada's dominating 7-3 win against Russia on Wednesday night, NBC analysts Mike Milbury and Jeremy Roenick were discussing the beat-down, as well as a controversial play involving Canadian defenseman Dan Boyle and Russian forward Alexander Semin.

Not only was Milbury glowing in his praise of Boyle for responding to Semin's hit with a dangerous slew-foot, he topped it off by saying of the Russian team, "I was really disappointed that these guys came with their Eurotrash game."

Now, Russia certainly deserves plenty of criticism for laying a massive egg in what was supposed to be one of the best matchups of the tournament. But Eurotrash?

Roenick looked stunned, while Bill Patrick, the third member of the panel, asked, almost in awe, "Did you really just say Eurotrash?"

ROFL, seems wikipedia has already been updated:

Eurotrash is a derogatory term used chiefly in North America for Europeans, especially those who perceived to be young, wealthy, and resident in the United States.[1]
    Among the earliest printed uses of the term was in the early 1980s, when Taki Theodoracopulos, a wealthy Greek living in New York, wrote the "Eurotrash" column in The East Side Express.[2] In a similar bent, in writing a 1983 article for Rolling Stone, Anthony Haden-Guest described "those decadent European rich so numerous in Manhattan nowadays - 'International White Trash', as the uncharitable put it..."[3]

On television, at the conclusion of the men's ice hockey quarter-final game played between Canada and Russia during the 2010 Winter Olympics, NBC sportscaster Mike Milbury referred to the Russian team effort as "their eurotrash game."
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

This is so cute-from Yahoo news:
    Video: Norway's Alpine skiing team dances to 'Beat It'

By Trey Kerby
    This is a video of the Norwegian Alpine ski team dancing to "Beat It" by Michael Jackson. It's four guys alone on a snow-covered mountain dancing their hearts out. It's amazing.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

eh whatever...my biggest surprise was that Evan Lysacek actually has a girlfriend!!! I didn't think that he played for the same team that I did.
    "My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable and I'm just ferocious. I want your heart. I want to eat your children. Praise be to Allah." TEAM MILEY!!

Quote Originally Posted by TheONe View Post
    eh whatever...my biggest surprise was that Evan Lysacek actually has a girlfriend!!! I didn't think that he played for the same team that I did.
    i'm not convinced that Nastia is his girlfriend. beard maybe.
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

Quote Originally Posted by GaPeach View Post
    Ekaterina accused him of sleeping with girls on the team.

I liked Tamara when she was here, they put her up on some pedestal because of who she was and darned if Ina and Zimmerman didn't get a lot better with her as a coach... it's just Ina crashed and burned.

You know maybe it's just me but The Russian Federation sounds so cold and anti-personal and I can almost hear the storm troopers marching in the back ground.
    Those Russian women coaches scare me, with their big fur coats and prison matron coifs. I hear they smoke unfiltered ciggies and carry flasks of vodka in their coats.

Tatiana Tarasova's coat looks like it hasn't been washed in years...

i'm in yer manifesto, correcting your spelling mistakes

Quote Originally Posted by McJag View Post
    This is so cute-from Yahoo news:
    Video: Norway's Alpine skiing team dances to 'Beat It'

By Trey Kerby
    This is a video of the Norwegian Alpine ski team dancing to "Beat It" by Michael Jackson. It's four guys alone on a snow-covered mountain dancing their hearts out. It's amazing.
    I love it!!!
    "Hope everyone' shavin a good one!" - Karistiona

Quote Originally Posted by TheONe View Post
    He is gay as the day is long.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------

I want Joannie R. to get a medal so bad I can't stand it. *yeah I cried when she broke down after skating.. was hard not too. *
    Last edited by Sojiita; February 25th, 2010 at 01:47 PM.
    Don't slap me, cause I'm not in the mood!

Hit By Ban Bus!

Quote Originally Posted by BITTER View Post
    Those Russian women coaches scare me, with their big fur coats and prison matron coifs. I hear they smoke unfiltered ciggies and carry flasks of vodka in their coats.

Tatiana Tarasova's coat looks like it hasn't been washed in years...
    you nailed that one!
    The athletes are in spandex and warm ups and the Russian coaches are in these huge fur coats. Maybe it makes them feel rich or something but they have to be sweating like stuck pigs.

Quote Originally Posted by Sojiita View Post
    He is gay as the day is long.
    stop wishing!

^^ I wish he wasn't-pretentious unattractive geeky-looking too much tanner flamey twink most likely!

Why can't some of the hunks on the hockey teams come out of the closet or something..then we would be talking!
    Don't slap me, cause I'm not in the mood!

Elite Member

Being in a Russian skating program is totally different experience than an American coach. First off, you think they are totally serious and stern, but once you figure out that it's a cultural thing that they dont smile to be pleasant, but only if they are amused about something it doesn't bother you. That being said, while they have been serious about advancing my daughter's skill level, they have also had great affinity for teaching a small child. We have been in a Russian program since the child was 3 and she loves it. It must be working, because she's 7 and just whipped a group of 12 year olds at last weekend's competition for 1st place.

Thread Information