Page 32 of 48 FirstFirst ... 2228293031323334353642 ... LastLast

Thread: 2010 Winter Olympics in Vancouver!

Quote Originally Posted by Laurent View Post
    Irina always came across bitchy, imo.

There were lots reports that after the medal ceremony at Turin, she pitched an old fashioned bitch fit and tossed her bronze medal in the trash.
    HA! She gave that freeskate away, with that fall and those ugly crossovers. Alexei Mishin, Plushenko's coach, the mean old coot said that Russian women weren't meant to be ice princesses, but that they'd make good truck drivers . Her two World titles were gifts - the first was 'cause Michelle Kwan wasn't up to snuff (personally, I think she was devastated by her own bronze in Salt Lake City), and the second was because Sasha Cohen, once again, could not pull together two clean programs. Slute was good in the beginning, with springy jumps and fast crossovers, but she stagnated artistically.

Hit By Ban Bus!

^^blast Sasha Cohen, the best skater that never could. My gosh no one could do a spiral like her. I was always on the edge of my seat wondering OK which will she crash and burn - the long or the short?

I think I sort of made up this romance between Ekaterina and Sergei because when I first saw them I thought they looked silly, he was huge and much older and she looked like a preteen.. they grew on me. Next olympics I was cheering for them. She turned into a diva.
    I know Ilia likes to stay in America where as Ekaterina spends a lot of time in Russia. Daria goes to school here but she said she wants to live in Russia so I wouldn't be surprised if she didn't move there.

I've never been able to understand mens figure skating - they encourage fluffy shirts and skin tight pants these days, you didn't see Dick Button wearing spandex and feathers so of course people are going to assume that the male skaters are gay so why the double standards? I could be wrong but I think Johnny Weir acts out because of the way he's been treated.

Way to go Body Miller!!!

A*O

Meanwhile, in the ice hockey..........
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Quote Originally Posted by GaPeach View Post
    ^^blast Sasha Cohen, the best skater that never could. My gosh no one could do a spiral like her. I was always on the edge of my seat wondering OK which will she crash and burn - the long or the short?
    There has always been a lack of confidence in her skating. Maybe because she's crashed and burned so many times, I don't know, but she seems to skate on top of her blades, like her edges are not deep enough or something. She always looks as if she is gonna tip over.

I think I sort of made up this romance between Ekaterina and Sergei because when I first saw them I thought they looked silly, he was huge and much older and she looked like a preteen.. they grew on me. Next olympics I was cheering for them. She turned into a diva.
    I know Ilia likes to stay in America where as Ekaterina spends a lot of time in Russia. Daria goes to school here but she said she wants to live in Russia so I wouldn't be surprised if she didn't move there.
    Are they divorced or just living apart? I'd rather see Daria go to school in Russia too; her bitch of a mother could use the company!

I've never been able to understand mens figure skating - they encourage fluffy shirts and skin tight pants these days, you didn't see Dick Button wearing spandex and feathers so of course people are going to assume that the male skaters are gay so why the double standards? I could be wrong but I think Johnny Weir acts out because of the way he's been treated.

Way to go Body Miller!!!
    I prefer men's skating, especially this past season, 'cause the field is so damned deep and diverse. The US ladies are sucking eggs. Rachel Flatt is so goddamned homely and has the artistic abilities of a stop sign. There will be no American presence on the ladies podium IMO in Vancouver. They will be lucky to make the top ten.

So glad Bode finally got a gold - he finally lived up to his potential at the GAMES, baby!!! He seems so much more mature now.

Quote Originally Posted by BITTER View Post
    The US ladies are sucking eggs. Rachel Flatt is so goddamned homely and has the artistic abilities of a stop sign. There will be no American presence on the ladies podium IMO in Vancouver. They will be lucky to make the top ten.
    I don't think Rachael Flatt and Mirai Nagasu are going to get us within a mile of the podium, either. Nagasu always looks like she's seconds from a meltdown. Flatt seems consistent, but she may pull a Jeremy Abbott and come apart at the seams in front of an Olympics crowd.

Not that Sasha Cohen was much better when it came down to it. She had stunning positions, but did she EVER skate two clean programs? She was classic Sasha at the U.S. Nationals with her firey short and lame-ass long. Hell, Kwan was another one that couldn't deliver when it came to an Oly crowd.

I thought he was dating some ice dancer...sorry if this is posted already.

Evan Lysacek & Nastia Liukin Are Dating

By Lorenzo Benet
    Monday February 22, 2010 07:30 AM EST
    Evan Lysacek and Nastia Liukin
    Kevork Djansezian/Getty

On his way to becoming the first U.S. man to win figure skating gold in 22 years, Evan Lysacek had a little help from another Olympic gold medalist gymnast Nastia Liukin.

The couple who met in October 2008 in Rapid City, S.D., while performing on the NBC special Skating & Gymnastics Spectacular confirm to PEOPLE exclusively that they've been dating since last summer.

"We became good friends and have become really close since then," says Lysacek. The two attended the ESPYs together last July and the relationship picked up steam after that, they say.

In August, Lysacek went to Dallas to cheer on Liukin during her gymnastics comeback at the U.S. Nationals. "It was cool but nerve-racking watching her compete to be on the balance beam like that? For me, it's easier to do it then watch it," says Lysacek, 24.

The couple switched roles this week when Liukin, 20, traveled to Vancouver to root for Lysacek. "To see his dreams come true was amazing," Liukin says. "Even though we're not in the same sport, we got to connect at the same level because there's nothing like the Olympics. It was nice to be on other side of things and be the support system, but I was nervous."

"She been so helpful to me," adds Lysacek. "She has been through it herself. If I'm having a bad day, she tells me to have faith and to keep going. Sometimes your support system has more faith in you than yourself. And when she tells me things are going to be fine, I really believe it."

Handling Controversy

This week was no exception. After Lysacek's victory, the Russian delegation complained that silver medalist Evgeni Plushenko should have won because he completed a quadruple jump and Lysacek did not, even though the Olympic judges' scores revealed that Lysacek had the better all-around long program and superior jumps, spins and footwork to Plushenko.

"I think he's handling the controversy well," says Liukin, who lives in Dallas and travels to L.A. to visit Lysacek and work on business projects. "You work your hardest all year and when have something like that happen to you, it crushes you a little bit. Evan was a little upset, and I told him, 'You have worked your entire life and you have achieved the biggest reward in your sport, so enjoy every aspect of it.' "

After Lysacek's win, they did. When they're together in L.A., says Liukin, "We hang out, go to dinner and movies, and lay low. We have similar personalities we're both laid back."

In Vancouver, however, the couple have been going non-stop since Thursday night, when the celebration started at the USA House with friends, family and members of the USOC. On Saturday, they helped host a small gathering at the Procter and Gamble Family Home in Vancouver, which put on a birthday party for Lysacek's father, Don, and his uncle, Tate, who are twins.
    Evan Lysacek & Nastia Liukin Are Dating - Couples, Winter Olympics 2010, Evan Lysacek, Nastia Liukin : People.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Celestial View Post
    I also choose to believe the rumors because I am, when it is all said and done, a dirty gossip.

^^ Am I the only one not totally believing this??

Quote Originally Posted by Laxmobster View Post
    I thought he was dating some ice dancer...sorry if this is posted already.
    He used to (allegedly) date ice dancer Tanith Belbin.

I had no idea Nastia Liukin was his newest.

For me, it's easier to do it then watch it," says Lysacek, 24.
    Do the people who write for PEOPLE have no damn idea about the difference between "then" and "than"???????

I don't think Rachael Flatt and Mirai Nagasu are going to get us within a mile of the podium, either. Nagasu always looks like she's seconds from a meltdown. Flatt seems consistent, but she may pull a Jeremy Abbott and come apart at the seams in front of an Olympics crowd.
    When you lack artistry like Flatt, you'd better bring your A-game. If you don't, they will rip your skating apart. I don't know what it is about her. She does at least attempt the triple-triple jumps. IMO, ladies have stagnated technically. The Code of Points have downgraded so many ladie's 3/3 combos that most of them have given up. Except for Yu-Na Kim and Mao Asada. Nagasu is a cipher to me; her National title was a fluke.

Not that Sasha Cohen was much better when it came down to it. She had stunning positions, but did she EVER skate two clean programs? She was classic Sasha at the U.S. Nationals with her firey short and lame-ass long. Hell, Kwan was another one that couldn't deliver when it came to an Oly crowd.
    No, and if she were a shitty skater it would not have bothered people so much. But Sasha let her nerves ruin her; she's given up so many leads after being first in the short program. I remember watching her at Turin getting ready for her freeskate; she looked absolutely terrified, so uptight. Then she proceeded to fall apart. Silver was truly a gift IMO; I'd have bronzed her just for pissing me the fuck off with those dumb mistakes she made.

Count me as a Kwan fan in Nagano; I would have given her the gold because her artistic abilities were superior to Tara Lipinski's. I hated that little dwarf and her skating, but she skated faster and with more energy. Kwan was too conservative and didn't let loose. Salt Lake City was a disaster; I cannot even explain what happened there. Had that troglodyte Slutskaya not outskated her, Hughes would have been given silver and Kwan would have been the ladies' champ. But Kwan behaved in a classy manner and admitted that both times she was not at her best.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellatheball View Post
    He used to (allegedly) date ice dancer Tanith Belbin.

I had no idea Nastia Liukin was his newest.
    Does anyone think Evan is attractive? I am on the fence. He's way too thin for me.

He is not as hot as Tanith's first boyfriend, Fedor Andreev. Not only was Fedor a skater, he was also an Abercrombie & Fitch model. He is beautiful. Allegedly Tanith caught him with a male ice dancer and she sought comfort in Evan's bony arms. Fedor races cars now and skates for some obscure European country, whose name leaves me. Tanith is a beautiful girl too.

Nope. I'm not buying any of it.

I too enjoy the men's figure skating more than the women's and have for as long as I've been following figure skating. For some reason I don't like watching the girl who falls down the least win.

Quote Originally Posted by BITTER View Post
    Does anyone think Evan is attractive? I am on the fence. He's way too thin for me.
    He's not unattractive, but I can't say that I find him particularly hot. His voice is a lot of what kills it for me. He's got a nasal-y, superior way of speaking that just rubs me the wrong way. Plus, he always looks like he applied bronzer in a dark room.

C, you could argue the same thing this time with the guys too. I think everyone fell but Evan and Plushekno, right?

Evan's good looking sometimes and greasy looking at others.

C, you could argue the same thing this time with the guys too. I think everyone fell but Evan and Plushekno, right?

Johnny didn't fall and look where that got him *is still bitter*, but point taken.

Evan is hit or miss for me.

It was weird, when he was skating his freestyle the other night, he looked all patchily bronzed and not that good, but he looked much better after when he was waiting for the scores. I think it might be the hair being slicked back when he skates that makes him look worse.

^I noticed the same thing. I wonder if he had some powder bronzer on and it came off when he wiped the sweat away. He looked way better when it was gone.

Thread Information