Page 31 of 48 FirstFirst ... 2127282930313233343541 ... LastLast

Thread: 2010 Winter Olympics in Vancouver!

This really sucks for her. I can't even imagine having to pull it together for something like this.

Rochette's mother dies in Vancouver

VANCOUVER, British Columbia -- The mother of Canadian figure skating star Joannie Rochette died Sunday, two days before Rochette is to begin competition.

Therese Rochette, 55, died Sunday at a hospital in Vancouver, Skate Canada president Benoit Lavoie said. No cause of death was announced. Rochette still plans to compete, Lavoie said, and was at the Olympic village with her father, Normand, who broke the news to his daughter early Sunday.

Joannie Rochette has been in Vancouver since the opening ceremony, and her parents arrived Saturday from their home in Montreal. The women's short program is Tuesday, and the final Thursday.

Rochette has two practices scheduled Sunday, but Lavoie said she won't talk until the competition is complete. Mike Slipchuk, Skate Canada's high performance director, said the rest of the Canadian skating team was told the news before it was announced publicly.

"We'll do our best to manage it, but our first thoughts are with Jo and her family," Slipchuk said. "We'll go step by step."

As the reigning world silver medalist, Rochette is Canada's best chance to win an Olympic medal since Liz Manley won the silver in 1988, the last time the games were in Canada.

"A medal would mean so much to me," the six-time Canadian champion said earlier this week. "But I'm trying not to think too much because I want to be happy in my performance and happy in my career. I don't want to define my life by what happened here."

Copyright 2010 by The Associated Press
    Mother of Canadian figure skater Joannie Rochette dies - ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by Brookie View Post
    Damn, that's harsh. Is anyone saying whether or not she'll skate?
    She'll most likely skate, she said she won't talk to the media until she's done skating.

Talk about a dramatic/emotional moment the world will be watching.

So tragic. She is a medal contender. I hope she does her best but if she pulls out, the whole country is behind her no matter what.

Bless her heart - poor thing.

Team Joannie!
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

Yea I'm gonna need a load of tissues when I see the figure skating competition. Won't be a dry eye in the house.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    I heard the aussie commentators and their homophobic bullshit, and that would so not fly if they were actually in the country. They'd probably be replaced and ejected.

Total lack of class, decorum, and professionalism. Bogan trash.
    Grimmlok, The French Canadian commentators from RDS have also made homophobic comments about Weir. There's a story on the Yahoo homepage
    about it. Fuckers.

Oh, that poor girl. I have no idea how she's going to compete, good luck to her. I hope she does great.

This kind of reminds me of Dan Jansen in Calgary, he didn't do well at all and I was so happy for him when he finally did win that gold in Lillehammer.

Elite Member

OMG - poor Joannie! How do you reconcile coming to the Games to experience the happiest moment of your life with having to plan your mother's funeral? What a nightmare. It takes a lot of strength to still go through with the competition. At least she'll know she has the world behind her.

Thanks Bitter and GaPeach for that bit of background on Ekaterina. I can't say I'm surprised. I've always believed that it was Sergei who'd captured people's hearts. He seemed to be a bit more kind, laid back and approachable than her. She does know how to manipulate the media and the fans. She knows how to get them onside when it's to her benefit and how to cut them off when she wants her space. I'd love to know how it's been for Ilia.

Thanks Bitter and GaPeach for that bit of background on Ekaterina. I can't say I'm surprised. I've always believed that it was Sergei who'd captured people's hearts. He seemed to be a bit more kind, laid back and approachable than her. She does know how to manipulate the media and the fans. She knows how to get them onside when it's to her benefit and how to cut them off when she wants her space. I'd love to know how it's been for Ilia.
    Aren't Gordeeva and Kulik divorced? I know I read they were separated.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by GaPeach View Post
    well I get teased about being a Brangelina looney but in truth it's a farce just because I wanted to take the other side.. I was a Ekaterina looney, so was my sister in Maryland. She saw her in D.C. and I saw her in South Carolina. We both bought the book and the video. We knew all things Ekaterina. I joined the G&G fan site and we all exchanged videos when we saw her skate at a certain venue. Thing is if you read her book you kind of get the feeling it was all about her, Sergei covering up for her bad temper - her going to abort Daria because Sergei wasn't paying attention to her, so she told him she was pregnant and he became attentive and all things went well. His mother accused Ekaterina of brow beating her son to return to skating when he really didn't want to - she said it was Ekaterinas fault her son died.

First of all when I met her at Bi-lo she wasn't as pretty as I thought she would be, she was thin and small with a scowl on her face. It seemed to me she hooked up with Ilia because he's the only one that would put up with her crap. I think she milked Sergei's death for all it was worth - she got a book, a TV special and was loved by everyone.. for a short time. What torked me was she expected everyone to pay special attention to Daria but yet she wasn't nice to the little girls that waited in line to get her autograph. I haven't liked her since. In retrospect when Scot or any of the other skaters who toured with Sergei and Katya talked them it was always fondly about Sergei and sort of "read off of note cards" about Katya. It's really a bummer when you like someone and they turn out to be not such a nice person.

Katya did love us for our money and our freedoms but dogged America and Americans to the Russian press.

Funny thing, I just gave her book to the book exchange, I traded it for a Sookie Stackhouse book. I didn't care. Yet when the book came out I couldn't wait to get it. I still have my program from the Omni when she and Sergei skated and all my videos I ordered from Stars on Ice. phfft different time thats for sure.
    LOL, in some circles she was called The Widow Grinkova. I think she's calculating and mercenary. She and Sergei skated gorgeously together, though. He was a beautiful man.

There was also a rumor that Canadian Kurt Browning got an unwanted vacation from Stars on Ice 'cause he was boffing Ekaterina - and Scott Hamilton wanted her. He found out what was going on and Kurt got the boot or something like that.

Yeah, I don't like her either.

Re: Irina Slutskaya did the same thing - smiling and fake about her "good friendship" with Michelle Kwan and other US ice princesses in the US press, but her interviews in Russia showed her to be a catty, bitter bitch who laughed at Sarah Hughes when she gained weight. Alexei Yagudin is no saint either.

Quote Originally Posted by BITTER View Post
    Re: Irina Slutskaya did the same thing - smiling and fake about her "good friendship" with Michelle Kwan and other US ice princesses in the US press, but her interviews in Russia showed her to be a catty, bitter bitch who laughed at Sarah Hughes when she gained weight.
    Irina always came across bitchy, imo.

There were lots reports that after the medal ceremony at Turin, she pitched an old fashioned bitch fit and tossed her bronze medal in the trash.

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by Brookie View Post
    Aren't Gordeeva and Kulik divorced? I know I read they were separated.
    I can't say I've heard that rumor.

There was also a rumor that Canadian Kurt Browning got an unwanted vacation from Stars on Ice 'cause he was boffing Ekaterina - and Scott Hamilton wanted her. He found out what was going on and Kurt got the boot or something like that.
    Scott Hamilton??? Holy hell! After Sergei, that's a huge drop in standards.

Alexei Yagudin is no saint either.
    That's okay. I can forgive Yags anything.

Anyone else remember Plushenko's "Sex Bomb" routine? One of the funniest, most ridiculous things ever.

A preview:

Or to watch every odd second of it:

YouTube - Evgeni Plushenko- sex bomb

I love that performance. I've watched it a couple of times today. Whiny arrogance aside, it takes some serious balls to put on a performance that bold. Maybe skating wouldn't have ratings issues if more routines were like that!
    "Schadenfreude, hard to spell, easy to feel." ~VenusinFauxFurs

"Scoffing is one of my main hobbies!" ~Trixie

Thread Information