Page 30 of 48 FirstFirst ... 2026272829303132333440 ... LastLast

Thread: 2010 Winter Olympics in Vancouver!

Quote Originally Posted by Wiseguy View Post
    I agree. Lysacek's performance was flawless and he deservedly won the gold medal. Plushenko's performance was excellent, but he lacks the grace and artistry that Lysacek has in spades.
    I wouldn't call his skating excellent even. He had a lot of flaws in his skating. And those suggestive hip thrusts? Totally inappropriate for Olympic level skating IMO. He should keep that shit in those cornball ice shows. And there was one ugly spin near the end that harmed my eyes majorly.

And France's Brian Joubert complained to the Canadian press that the judging system is geared toward "effeminate North American" skaters. I used to think that he was a hot sexy guy, but I am so through with him and don't feel too bad about his shitty skating at this Winter Games. The article also alludes to some unfortunate comments made by Australian, French and French-Canadian sportswriters about the perceived lack of masculinity in men's skating:

So it's not only the Aussies who are lacking tact and humanity. One of our own, RDS Olympic morning host Claude Mailhot, was even more offensive in ridiculing men's figure skating with analyst Alain Goldberg Wednesday. Goldberg said beruffled American skater Johnny Weir should take a test to make sure he's man, to which Mailhot jocularly replied: "He did that to help the commentators predict what would happen with (Canadian skater) Joanie Rochette and the other (women), because maybe he should be in competition with them." Har, har. Goldberg has been in the sport his entire life, and this is hardly new territory. Yet he's never spoken up until now.

Non-apology

Mailhot "apologized" Friday after gay rights groups called for action. Well, it was a 21st-century apology; he didn't actually say he was wrong, just that he was sorry it happened. "It seems that when we talked about the clothes it upset certain people, and it certainly wasn't our goal to upset anyone," Mailhot said. "If you felt criticized, we apologize."

A French thing

Maybe the French-born Goldberg hopped on the bandwagon because of comments made by countryman Brian Joubert before the Games. "It was the Canadians who created the (new scoring system) to favour the North Americans for Vancouver," Joubert said. "You have to know that their skaters, often homosexuals, specialize in effeminate skating. In a flash, they went from 10th place to the podium." Joubert is a skater who can jump, and that's about all he can do. This week, he didn't even do that and finished 16th.
    Ignorance without borders

Hit By Ban Bus!

^^ I believe Janet Lynn (1972) was the last to do figures, because I don't think Dorothy Hamil did them in the 1976 Olympics? Anyone know?

Quote Originally Posted by GaPeach View Post
    ^^ I believe Janet Lynn (1972) was the last to do figures, because I don't think Dorothy Hamil did them in the 1976 Olympics? Anyone know?
    I thought figures were eliminated after the 1988 Calgary games.

I heard the aussie commentators and their homophobic bullshit, and that would so not fly if they were actually in the country. They'd probably be replaced and ejected.

Total lack of class, decorum, and professionalism. Bogan trash.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Hit By Ban Bus!

Quote Originally Posted by BITTER View Post
    I thought figures were eliminated after the 1988 Calgary games.
    really?

hey remember

Gwendal Peizerat
    he has a facebook page....... he's the reason I got interested in ice dancing in the first place. He's straight..... who knew - and for some reason that puts a smile on my face.

A*O

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    I heard the aussie commentators and their homophobic bullshit, and that would so not fly if they were actually in the country. They'd probably be replaced and ejected.

Total lack of class, decorum, and professionalism. Bogan trash.
    Eddie McGuire, one of the dills involved, isn't a professisonal sports commentator at all. He's a former Aussie rules footballer who "made good" and is now the head of Channel 9 here (one of the big 3 TV stations) and he also hosts various footy shows and also the Aussie version of Who Wants To Be A Millionaire. And guess which channel is showing the Olympics? He's a very smart media operator - nickname "Eddie Everywhere" but his bogan homophobic roots come shining through sometimes. He's been frantically backpeddling about his remarks and plans to roll out the Channel 9 red carpet for Johnny Weir anytime he wants to visit Oz.

Meanwhile the Aussie freestyle skiers are whinging about unfair judges. This country may be obsessed with sports but we have the most UNsportsmanlike attitudes and behavour of them all. Completely ungracious in defeat and even worse when they win.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

really?

hey remember

Gwendal Peizerat
    he has a facebook page....... he's the reason I got interested in ice dancing in the first place. He's straight..... who knew - and for some reason that puts a smile on my face.
    He is straight I've been told. I was surprised at first, but now, not so much. Scott Hamilton said in his book and in some interviews that skating is dominated by women - coaches, choreographers and the skaters themselves, that it's only natural that even the straight guys pick up some of the mannerisms. Now, a lot of skaters are gay - mainly singles skaters, but most of the pairs and ice dance men tend to be hetero.

Elite Member

I didn't want to say it but after meeting Ekaterina I noticed most of the Russians were arrogant, it was hard to be a fan after that.
    I'd love to hear more about this encounter, GaPeach if you don't mind sharing. I know everyone adores her, but I never, ever got a warm and fuzzy vibe from her at all.

Brian Joubert's final placement really surprised me. Since Yags retired, I haven't followed men's skating closely. The last time I followed it, Joubert was near the top (maybe even at the top). And doesn't he have Browning as a coach? A 16th place finish - what the hell happened? Talk about a fall from the throne!!

Plushenko was interviewed on CTV last night and he was still defending his statements about Evan's win. Surprisingly though, he can come off as likeable. He does have some charm. Too it's not genuine.
    Last edited by Elisa; February 21st, 2010 at 08:47 AM.

Ekaterina, after the death of her precious Sergei, would say one thing to the American press about how much she loved him and how much she appreciated the fans' support of her during that difficult time, but in the Russian (and European) press, she'd say she didn't understand why Americans were so "prying" about her personal affairs. I've read at a couple of skating boards translations of some of these articles. Yet she had no problem writing a book about her and Sergei that made her rich, or becoming a spokesperson for Target, or skating in America, where they pay skaters better than in Russia. She has a right to earn a living, of course, but it all comes off as two-faced to me. Irina Slutskaya is another two-face when it comes to speaking to the US and Euro media.

Well, hellllooooo there. Oh my.
    "We know who we are, we like talking smack about strangers, and we're not gonna stop!" -- GR's Kalirga

heh.. slutskaya
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Hit By Ban Bus!

Quote Originally Posted by Elisa View Post
    I'd love to hear more about this encounter, GaPeach if you don't mind sharing. I know everyone adores her, but I never, ever got a warm and fuzzy vibe from her at all.

Brian Joubert's final placement really surprised me. Since Yags retired, I haven't followed men's skating closely. The last time I followed it, Joubert was near the top (maybe even at the top). And doesn't he have Browning as a coach? A 16th place finish - what the hell happened? Talk about a fall from the throne!!

Plushenko was interviewed on CTV last night and he was still defending his statements about Evan's win. Surprisingly though, he can come off as likeable. He does have some charm. Too it's not genuine.
    Quote Originally Posted by BITTER View Post
    Ekaterina, after the death of her precious Sergei, would say one thing to the American press about how much she loved him and how much she appreciated the fans' support of her during that difficult time, but in the Russian (and European) press, she'd say she didn't understand why Americans were so "prying" about her personal affairs. I've read at a couple of skating boards translations of some of these articles. Yet she had no problem writing a book about her and Sergei that made her rich, or becoming a spokesperson for Target, or skating in America, where they pay skaters better than in Russia. She has a right to earn a living, of course, but it all comes off as two-faced to me. Irina Slutskaya is another two-face when it comes to speaking to the US and Euro media.

well I get teased about being a Brangelina looney but in truth it's a farce just because I wanted to take the other side.. I was a Ekaterina looney, so was my sister in Maryland. She saw her in D.C. and I saw her in South Carolina. We both bought the book and the video. We knew all things Ekaterina. I joined the G&G fan site and we all exchanged videos when we saw her skate at a certain venue. Thing is if you read her book you kind of get the feeling it was all about her, Sergei covering up for her bad temper - her going to abort Daria because Sergei wasn't paying attention to her, so she told him she was pregnant and he became attentive and all things went well. His mother accused Ekaterina of brow beating her son to return to skating when he really didn't want to - she said it was Ekaterinas fault her son died.

First of all when I met her at Bi-lo she wasn't as pretty as I thought she would be, she was thin and small with a scowl on her face. It seemed to me she hooked up with Ilia because he's the only one that would put up with her crap. I think she milked Sergei's death for all it was worth - she got a book, a TV special and was loved by everyone.. for a short time. What torked me was she expected everyone to pay special attention to Daria but yet she wasn't nice to the little girls that waited in line to get her autograph. I haven't liked her since. In retrospect when Scot or any of the other skaters who toured with Sergei and Katya talked them it was always fondly about Sergei and sort of "read off of note cards" about Katya. It's really a bummer when you like someone and they turn out to be not such a nice person.

Katya did love us for our money and our freedoms but dogged America and Americans to the Russian press.

Funny thing, I just gave her book to the book exchange, I traded it for a Sookie Stackhouse book. I didn't care. Yet when the book came out I couldn't wait to get it. I still have my program from the Omni when she and Sergei skated and all my videos I ordered from Stars on Ice. phfft different time thats for sure.

i'm in yer manifesto, correcting your spelling mistakes

JFC--Canada's 6 time National Figure Skating champ and medal hope Joannie Rochette's mom died this morning. Can it get worse? She had just arrived in Vancouver, had a heart attack and died. She was only 55.
    "Hope everyone' shavin a good one!" - Karistiona

Damn, that's harsh. Is anyone saying whether or not she'll skate?
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

VANCOUVER (AP) Canadian Olympic Committee officials say the mother of Canadian figure skating star Joannie Rochette has died.
    They say Therese Rochette, 55, died Sunday at a hospital in Vancouver. The officials say the cause of death has not been determined. She and her husband, Normand, arrived in Vancouver on Saturday after flying in from Montreal.
    Officials add that Rochette was with her father Sunday morning but the six-time Canadian champion still intends to compete.
    Rochette is a world silver medalist and is Canada's best hope to win a medal in women's figure skating since Liz Manley won the silver in 1988 the last time the games were in Canada. The women's event begins Tuesday with the short program. Rochette has a practice Sunday afternoon.
    Joannie Rochette dealt devastating news | NBC Olympics
    what a shame
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

Thread Information