Page 29 of 48 FirstFirst ... 1925262728293031323339 ... LastLast

Thread: 2010 Winter Olympics in Vancouver!

Hit By Ban Bus!

Quote Originally Posted by greysfang View Post
    No, it was Kristi Yamaguchi he started out with. Michelle Kwan is way too young for him.
    yep your right....... for the love........ it's been a long day - sorry

He and Kristi had been friends and wasn't it her decision to do singles leaving him without a partner? He's so tiny I can't imagine him flinging her up in the air.

Brooke I own the book The Inside Edge guess I need to crack it open again. I knew it was Kristi but blew it because I was thinking about Michelle and Irina. I have quite a few books about skating back in the day I was into it, I lost interest a few years ago.. no reason I just got bored. No wait I remember I lost interest because I liked the Native American pairs skater who teamed up with the Russian guy, then she quit to go to college. Can't believe I remember that.. OK now I have to go find out their names

I"m thoroughly disgusted at the Russians bitching about Lysecek winning the gold, saying that Plushenko should have taken it blah blah.

I doubt that Evan would have done the same thing.

ETA:
    VANCOUVER (Reuters) - Olympic figure skating champion Evan Lysacek hit out at Russian Yevgeny Plushenkoon Friday for discrediting his rivals and tainting the American's gold medal moment with a bitter rant.
    Silver medallist Plushenko said the American was "not a true champion" as he had won without performing a difficult quadruple jump, which requires great height and pace to make at least four mid-air rotations. The Russian did two in Vancouver. Even Russian Prime Minister Vladimir Putin has weighed in on the subject, saying his silver was worth gold after Plushenko blasted the sport for being like "dancing" rather than figure skating.
    "I guess I was a little disappointed that someone who was my role model would take a hit at me in probably one of the most special moments of my life that I'll never forget, regardless of what anyone said there," Lysacek told a news conference.
    "For him to discredit the field is not right, it's probably the strongest field there has ever been."
    Lysacek, who said he had not yet been to sleep or taken off his medal, was diplomatic about the debacle which has raised questions about the fairness of the judging system.
    "It's tough to lose, especially when you think that no matter what you are going to win," said the American, caressing his gleaming medal.
    "It's a really tough pill to swallow and I'm sure he said stuff in the heat of the moment that maybe he doesn't mean so we'll just try to not take it out of context and give him the benefit of the doubt.
    "Congratulations to him on a third Olympic medal."

SHAKEN HANDS
    While Plushenko, the 2006 champion who also won silver in 2002, avoided publicly congratulating his rival after Thursday's free skate, Lysacek said they had shaken hands and the Russian had spoken to him in private.
    The debate over the quad has split the skaters at these Games, with many like bronze medallist Daisuke Takahashi agreeing with Plushenko that it was a vital part of the sport.
    Owing to figure skating's very subjective nature, athletes have often said it is hard to know what judges are actually looking for but Thursday's result suggested it might be an all-round performance rather than one show-stopping moment. "Different countries sometimes interpret the rules differently," said Lysacek.
    "In the U.S. we get some sort of unwritten rules that are explained to us from judges ... and maybe he (Plushenko) got different information than I got."
    Lysacek said he had no plans to retire, although he has not decided whether he will defend his world title next month, but joked that he might not be the most welcome competitor when Russia hosts the next winter Games in Sochi in 2014.
    "I don't think they would love to see me there to be honest, if I could somehow get a visa into that country," he smiled.

Lysacek fights back | NBC Olympics
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

Quote Originally Posted by C_is_for_Cookie View Post
    Johnny Weir was robbed. Twice. His short program was underscored and so was his long program.
    Totally agree. In fact, I would've given him the bronze ahead of Takahashi. He handled himself with a lot of class and he has every reason to be proud of himself.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellatheball View Post
    I wish I'd have seen what Plusenko did during the awards ceremony last night. One of the commentators said he jumped up on the gold medal stand at first. It would have been interesting to see if he was kidding or being an ass about it.
    I heard the commentators say that and heard the crowd laugh, so my impression is that he was (kinda) joking.

I think I'm in the minority in that I don't dislike Plushenko and do enjoy watching him skate. He can power through jumps and stick unstickable landings and it's amazing to watch sometimes. I can appreciate his point about the quad, but overall, I do think Evan outskated him last night and deserved the win. I'm not surprised Plushy is acting assy about it, though - the Russians take figure skating VERY seriously and are not circumspect about voicing their opinions, especially when they get beaten.

Elite Member

My daughter is in a completely russian figure skating program and has been from day one. Her coaches are of the 40ish age where half thier career was for USSR and half for Ukraine/Siberia. It's interesting to watch Johnny Weir because Galina Zmaievskaya was my kid's coaches coach when he won the Ukraine National CHampionships 4 times....if that made any sense.

Oh, let us relive Candeloro's D'Artagnan! I think it's my favorite men's figure skating performance ever. An utterly enchanting performance. I wish more of them were like this. [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMIVJmhCzOI[/youtube]YouTube - Philippe Candeloro at the 1998 Olympics in Nagano
    "Oh! I've been looking for a red suede pump!"
    - Marie (Carrie Fisher), When Harry Met Sally

Just popping back in here for a question to Canadians or Americans who happen to get CTV.
    There was an short TV spot that has aired a lot at the beginning of the games, but I haven't seen it in a while.
    The ad was CGI, and showed a Team Canada flag on a holder that looked like a cross made of hockey sticks on a snowy mountain.
    I'm looking for this ad, and can't find it anywhere. I've looked at more CTV/TSN/Sportsnet ads on youtube than I can take, and can't find it again. I'm trying to remember if it was another sponsor like Coca-cola, purlator, etc and not a CTV ad, but either way I'm having no luck

Hit By Ban Bus!

Quote Originally Posted by Laurent View Post

I think I'm in the minority in that I don't dislike Plushenko and do enjoy watching him skate. He can power through jumps and stick unstickable landings and it's amazing to watch sometimes. I can appreciate his point about the quad, but overall, I do think Evan outskated him last night and deserved the win. I'm not surprised Plushy is acting assy about it, though - the Russians take figure skating VERY seriously and are not circumspect about voicing their opinions, especially when they get beaten.
    He used to do a Bealman (sp) spin, he has crazy flexibility. What I don't like about him or even Irina is they can jump but it's not pretty. Like I said the first time I saw him I thought he looked like a grasshopper, we had our own grasshopper Timothy Gables or was it Gobles anyway he could jump and that was it.

He just rubs me the wrong way, he always has - I used to cheer for his fellow team mates against him.

I have a new found respect for Evan, he hasn't said one bad thing against the nose. AND Evan isn't all that bad looking with a smile on his face and his hair not slicked back.

I remember back in the day when he first came on the scene, that the only thing that made Plushenko stand out was that he was one of the very few males that could do the Biellman spin. "Plushenko, oh the young Russian kid who can do the Biellmann." I was team Yagudin all the way.

I'd forgotten that he used to do a Biellmann! This was from the 2002 Olympics:

Okay, wtf is up with all the rounds of curling?? It's worse than freaking March Madness or the MLB playoffs.
    Did you know that an anagram for "Conscious Uncoupling" is "Iconic Uncool Pus Guns"? - MohandasKGanja

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by C_is_for_Cookie View Post
    I remember back in the day when he first came on the scene, that the only thing that made Plushenko stand out was that he was one of the very few males that could do the Biellman spin. "Plushenko, oh the young Russian kid who can do the Biellmann." I was team Yagudin all the way.
    I loved the rivalry between Yagudin and Plushenko. It always made for some great entertainment. Plushenko was always criticizing Yags in the media. Yags would keep his mouth shut and then just go out and own it. Sure he could be cocky too; he just never felt the need to slight his competitors in order to make himself appear better. Classy guy!

On a totally superficial level, I'd much rather watch Yags' body at work..err...body of work, than Plushenko's anyday. Hot!

Plushenko KNOWS he was outskated. He's just now in defensive mode, gathering sympathy from the Russkis at home, the government, everybody. Fucking whiner. Shut up!
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

I'm so happy that Plushenko didn't win! I am not a big fan of Evan Lysacek (met him at Skate America a few years back - meh), but he designed his freeskate around the judging system - the CURRENT judging system - a couple of his jumps were added past the halfway mark, which adds 10%, and his spins and footwork were far, far superior to anything Plush put down that night. Plush has always been an ugly skater to my eyes - physically and artistically. And he's arrogant as hell - something Russian skaters all seem to be. His spin positions were HIDEOUS! The judging was fair, and he should get over it.

Quote Originally Posted by BITTER View Post
    I'm so happy that Plushenko didn't win! I am not a big fan of Evan Lysacek (met him at Skate America a few years back - meh), but he designed his freeskate around the judging system - the CURRENT judging system - a couple of his jumps were added past the halfway mark, which adds 10%, and his spins and footwork were far, far superior to anything Plush put down that night. Plush has always been an ugly skater to my eyes - physically and artistically. And he's arrogant as hell - something Russian skaters all seem to be. His spin positions were HIDEOUS! The judging was fair, and he should get over it.
    I agree. Lysacek's performance was flawless and he deservedly won the gold medal. Plushenko's performance was excellent, but he lacks the grace and artistry that Lysacek has in spades.

Hit By Ban Bus!

Quote Originally Posted by BITTER View Post
    And he's arrogant as hell - something Russian skaters all seem to be. His spin positions were HIDEOUS! The judging was fair, and he should get over it.
    I didn't want to say it but after meeting Ekaterina I noticed most of the Russians were arrogant, it was hard to be a fan after that.

I was a fan Yag too, he way out classed the Nose on and off the ice.

Well now on to ice dancing, my favorite part of figure skating - since they no longer do the figure part in figure skating maybe they should just call it skating. I wonder how todays skaters would do up against some of the skaters of the 50's and 60's? Sure they have the jumps today but back then they actually had figures, they skated outside on uneven ice. I can remember watching they actually etch figures in the ice in front of a judge. My gosh when was that? Did Peggy Flemming have to do figures? I think she was the first skater I ever watched in an Olympics.......geez

Thread Information