Page 27 of 48 FirstFirst ... 1723242526272829303137 ... LastLast

Thread: 2010 Winter Olympics in Vancouver!

Default Japanese snowboarder's style offends the Japanese

Olympic snowboarder's 'street' style offends JapaneseBy Kyung Lah, CNNFebruary 18, 2010 3:41 p.m. EST

Kokubo has been criticized for his 'hip-hop' style.

Kokubo wasn't allowed to participate in the opening ceremonies for not wearing his team uniform properly

STORY HIGHLIGHTS
    -Kazuhiro Kokubo offended many by the way he wore the team-issued uniform
    -21-year-old is member of Japanese team at winter Olympics in Vancouver
    -Kokubo arrived in Vancouver with an untucked shirt, low-hung pants and loosened tie
    -Athlete was banned from opening ceremony as punishment

Tokyo, Japan (CNN) -- Olympic snowboarder Kazuhiro Kokubo is the talk of Japan. Not for his athletic ability -- but for his appearance.

The 21-year-old member of Japan's national team unwittingly caused outrage from cabinet-level government lawmakers to the patrons at the corner pub when he arrived in Vancouver for the winter games.

Kokubo was wearing the team-issued uniform, which consisted of a suit, shirt and tie. But he wasn't wearing it quite right.

Kokubo's shirt was untucked, his pants hung low below his hips, and his tie was loosened revealing an unbuttoned shirt. Kokubo sported dark glasses indoors and double nose piercings. He also wore his hair down, revealing a mane of dreadlocks.

Japan's Minister of Education, Tatsuo Kawabata, was not a fan of the hip hop twist to the national uniform, to say the least.

"It's extremely regrettable that he dressed in a totally unacceptable manner as a representative of Japan's national team," said Kawabata, on the floor of Japan's parliament. "He lacks the awareness that he is participating in the Olympic Games as a representative of our country with everyone's expectations on his shoulders. This should never happen again."

Video: Snowboarder's style under fire:Video - Breaking News Videos from CNN.com

The Japan Ski Association decided to punish Kokubo, along with his snowboard team manager Fumikazu Hagiwara and two coaches, keeping them from attending the Olympic opening ceremony as a show of regret.

But the punishment didn't stop there. Back at home in Japan, multiple viewing parties for Kokubo were cancelled across the city.

Kokubo's arrival in Vancouver was televised again and again on news broadcasts, analyzed by reporters and cultural experts. Kokubo's father even felt compelled to publicly apologize to the nation on behalf of his son's appearance.

In Vancouver, Kokubo held a news conference and apologized for "causing trouble to many people." In post-news conference analysis, television commentators called Kokubo's apology inadequate and his attitude appalling.

"Japan is behind the times," retorts Mika Sunaoka. Sunaoka is a hairdresser at Jambo Beauty Salon in Tokyo, a salon that specializes in black hair fashions. International and Japanese clients get weaves and dreadlocks here. If you're Japanese and you really want to celebrate hip hop culture, you can look the part here.

To Sunaoka, Kokubo is embracing the lifestyle. "Kokubo went to Vancouver to snowboard," she said. "That's what should be evaluated. It's totally wrong to criticize him about his clothes and hair style."

Customer Shu Noda, who is in Sunaoka's chair getting his dreads tightened, believes the flap began because Kokubo was wearing the uniform inappropriately.

"I like street fashion," said Noda. "I think it's cool. But this is the national uniform for the Olympics. We can't blame him if he wears it in his private time, that's his choice. But it was the uniform provided by his country and he should have worn it right. I do think the dreadlocks and nose piercing are just fine, though."

Sunaoka and Noda started bantering back and forth about Kokubo and Japan's rigid social rules. The consensus in the salon is that this is all overblown and Japan does need to loosen up.

Meanwhile at the Olympic games, Kokubo hit the half-pipe and failed to medal. That's just part of tonight's news coverage on Kokubo. The bigger question is how he'll look when he lands back home in Japan.

Olympic snowboarder's 'street' style offends Japanese - CNN.com

A*O

He looks like any other Board Bum to me.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

meh, he can move to BC and he wouldn't look out of place on any slope

the japanese need to take the stick out of their collective asses
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

^^I don't know if either of you saw the video, but the Japanese hairstylist they interviewed has such a ghetto hairstyle, it's hilarious...!

Hit By Ban Bus!

^^isn't he wearing dreads?

The Russians are not happy
    Olympic Medals Prove Elusive for Russia - NYTimes.com

bad humidity - it's all a conspiracy... however Tamara did step up and say her team wasn't ready.

Wow! Sounds like she took it fairly well. Wonder what they'll say if golden boy loses the figure skating gold tonight?
    "Schadenfreude, hard to spell, easy to feel." ~VenusinFauxFurs

"Scoffing is one of my main hobbies!" ~Trixie

A*O

HUGE fuss in Oz because one of our TV commentators dared to hint that Johnny Weir might be a teensy bit homo.

I can't see it myself:

I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

^ LOL. Are you serious? Did this really come as a surprise to anyone?

Sandra Bezic seems like a hideous woman. It's one thing to say a skater isn't in medal contention. It's another to say they're out of their league, not even in the same stratosphere etc etc. She really bugged the crap out of me last night.

Is she the woman that did the announcing with Scott Hamilton? She bugged me too,...she seemed very critical of everyone. Who is she?

Johnny Weir skated well last night,...I liked his program. He looks pretty goth to me,....but he did skate beautifully.

Evan did a nice job last night. Glad he won,...he seems like a nice guy. He sure is tall for an ice skater.

Hit By Ban Bus!

VANCOUVER, British Columbia Shortly after Evan Lysacek regaled the media about how he'd just upset Russian figure skater Evgeni Plushenko on Thursday night to win the men's free skate, Plushenko sauntered into the bowels of the Pacific Coliseum and all but denounced his American vanquisher as an unworthy Olympic champion.

"We need to change the scoring system," Plushenko snorted, "if the Olympic champion can't jump [a] quad."

Well we knew he was going to be ticked.
    Thing is he's right, Oksana Baiul beat out Nancy Kerrigan who had a perfect program while Oksana two footed a jump but she had more jumps so she beat Nancy. In Utah the Canadian pairs lost to the Russians even though the Russians missed a jump because they had more jumps than the Canadians - ended up with both getting a medal. I have never liked the jumping bean contest, I like the artistic part. The nose can jump - even when they are leaning or sloppy he still lands them.. so he thinks thats all thats important. I like the change, doing a quad should count but not if it takes away from the routine by looking sloppy. I remember when Irina Slutskaya didn't win the gold, she refused the silver and when she returned home to Russia they gave her a gold medal. She and Michelle Kwan got Olympic fever - everytime they saw the olympic rings they flaked out.. (they aren't the only ones)

He should be glad things have changed, at least he's not out there tracing figures in the ice like they used to do.

I'm no judge, if I was Johnny Weir would have been placed in 4th

on to ice dancing tonight!! I hope we do well, I really like our team.

Elite Member

Anybody see the article Elvis Stojko wrote about the Judging of the men's event? Basically they killed figure skating and Pluschenko was robbed...which I kind of agree with.

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    HUGE fuss in Oz because one of our TV commentators dared to hint that Johnny Weir might be a teensy bit homo.

I can't see it myself:

I seriously want to punch this guy in the face EVERYTIME that I see him....he just has a look of someone you want to hit
    "My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable and I'm just ferocious. I want your heart. I want to eat your children. Praise be to Allah." TEAM MILEY!!

The woman doing the commentary with Scott Hamilton should be banned from ever doing television again.

Johnny Weir was robbed. Twice. His short program was underscored and so was his long program. Plushenko wasn't robbed imo, Evan was better.

Still nothing comes close to Candeloro's free program in Nagano. Yeah, he wasn't the best technical skater, but damn he was fun to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by scooter View Post
    Anybody see the article Elvis Stojko wrote about the Judging of the men's event? Basically they killed figure skating and Pluschenko was robbed...which I kind of agree with.
    You mean, this article?

The night they killed figure skating - 2010 Olympics - Yahoo! Canada Sports
    Rock the fuck on!

I wish I'd have seen what Plusenko did during the awards ceremony last night. One of the commentators said he jumped up on the gold medal stand at first. It would have been interesting to see if he was kidding or being an ass about it.

The judging didn't seem fair either night but Evan's routine was better than Pluskenko's (quad or no quad).

Please don't tell me Elvis is a jerk. I've loved him since he did his Rocky routine.

ETA: Never mind, read the Elvis article. What a whiner.

Thread Information