Page 19 of 51 FirstFirst ... 915161718192021222329 ... LastLast

Thread: 2009-2010 NFL Season thread--bring your thoughts/bitches and WTF comments here!

I don't blame the Packers fans for booing Favre. He screwed them over royally. He cried and told them he was retiring, and then used the Jets as a stop-over before he went to play for the Vikings. It was a smack in the face to the loyalty the Green Bay fans have given him for years.

Quote Originally Posted by kingcap72 View Post
    I don't blame the Packers fans for booing Favre. He screwed them over royally. He cried and told them he was retiring, and then used the Jets as a stop-over before he went to play for the Vikings. It was a smack in the face to the loyalty the Green Bay fans have given him for years.
    I do agree with this. From what I recall, he wanted the Vikings last year, but took the Jets. I don't blame the GM of Green Bay for not taking him back. I do feel sort of sorry for the Viking (now second string) quarter back that practiced all spring/summer long, only to have Favre come in and take over.

He's a GREAT quarterback, deserves all the acclaim he gets. I just feel he went about this the wrong way. He could have retired as one of the best QB's out there, staying with one team. I still like the guy, but can't root for the Vikings! Especially today!
    You were lucky to have me. But you know what? I think I already got the best part of you. And she's standing right out there. I don't know... what's left just doesn't look so good anymore. Hope Floats

Quote Originally Posted by Goose View Post
    I do agree with this. From what I recall, he wanted the Vikings last year, but took the Jets. I don't blame the GM of Green Bay for not taking him back. I do feel sort of sorry for the Viking (now second string) quarter back that practiced all spring/summer long, only to have Favre come in and take over.

He's a GREAT quarterback, deserves all the acclaim he gets. I just feel he went about this the wrong way. He could have retired as one of the best QB's out there, staying with one team. I still like the guy, but can't root for the Vikings! Especially today!
    Agreed. Favre is still a great QB, and I don't hate the guy. But what he did to the Packers, and the Jets, was just low. He was treated like a god in Green Bay and he owed the team, and the fans, better treatment.

Agreed. Favre is still a great QB, and I don't hate the guy. But what he did to the Packers, and the Jets, was just low. He was treated like a god in Green Bay and he owed the team, and the fans, better treatment.
    If I could do more than 100% agree, I would. I think it's crap what he has pulled. But of course, you have to love Wisconsin, because they are raking in the dough with this. Waffles (HA! Favre waffling between retiring/not retiring) jerseys, etc. all for free.

My stance has been and will be that if he would have truly retired after the Packers, he'd look a lot better. He had his Hall of Fame nom in the works, he had his back to back mvps...I think he wants one more super bowl.
    You were lucky to have me. But you know what? I think I already got the best part of you. And she's standing right out there. I don't know... what's left just doesn't look so good anymore. Hope Floats

I guess I will play Devil's Advocate again. While I understand what leads to Packer fans being pissed, I am looking at this from the angle of football is a job. Plain and simple.

If someone were with a company for years, near retirement age, and decided to retire, but, after retiring, realizes he still has the skills to do the work and misses it, and there is a company that is willing to give him a fat check to do what he likes doing, why not go back? I've often wondered if there was office politics in the Green Bay office the fans know nothing about. Office politics can suck the morale from any job.

He went to the Jets. They needed a QB and he needed somewhere to hang out for a season. Deal time. I find it hard to believe the Jets were going to build a team around an old QB, even if he is as good as Favre. That was an affair, not a marriage.

The Vikings didn't have to take him. He went knocking and they answered the door. They had something to offer each other. To be playing against your old team's rival is probably icing on the cake.

Yea, the GB fans supported him, loved him, and were loyal to him. Does that means he owes them anything, especially when it means leaving a game that pays him well, he loves to play, and still has the moves to play in? I can't say he does.

The way he went about it might be ethically questionable, but business is business. Boardroom or turf, the logic, tactics, behind the scenes bullshit, etc. are similar.

Btw, I would have chosen to handle things a different way if I were him and could find another way. If there were no other way? Well, I can't say I wouldn't have made similar moves if I could not avoid it. I tend not to be sneaky in what I do, while making sure everything from all sides is in the table. I'm not saying what he did was either right or wrong, but I'm saying when it comes to money and business, the field changes a bit.

Uh, Go Lions! Way to keep up your shitty record. Consistency is something to celebrate.

Quote Originally Posted by Goose View Post
    If I could do more than 100% agree, I would. I think it's crap what he has pulled. But of course, you have to love Wisconsin, because they are raking in the dough with this. Waffles (HA! Favre waffling between retiring/not retiring) jerseys, etc. all for free.

My stance has been and will be that if he would have truly retired after the Packers, he'd look a lot better. He had his Hall of Fame nom in the works, he had his back to back mvps...I think he wants one more super bowl.
    Agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by RevellingInSane View Post
    I guess I will play Devil's Advocate again. While I understand what leads to Packer fans being pissed, I am looking at this from the angle of football is a job. Plain and simple.

If someone were with a company for years, near retirement age, and decided to retire, but, after retiring, realizes he still has the skills to do the work and misses it, and there is a company that is willing to give him a fat check to do what he likes doing, why not go back? I've often wondered if there was office politics in the Green Bay office the fans know nothing about. Office politics can suck the morale from any job.

He went to the Jets. They needed a QB and he needed somewhere to hang out for a season. Deal time. I find it hard to believe the Jets were going to build a team around an old QB, even if he is as good as Favre. That was an affair, not a marriage.

The Vikings didn't have to take him. He went knocking and they answered the door. They had something to offer each other. To be playing against your old team's rival is probably icing on the cake.

Yea, the GB fans supported him, loved him, and were loyal to him. Does that means he owes them anything, especially when it means leaving a game that pays him well, he loves to play, and still has the moves to play in? I can't say he does.

The way he went about it might be ethically questionable, but business is business. Boardroom or turf, the logic, tactics, behind the scenes bullshit, etc. are similar.

Btw, I would have chosen to handle things a different way if I were him and could find another way. If there were no other way? Well, I can't say I wouldn't have made similar moves if I could not avoid it. I tend not to be sneaky in what I do, while making sure everything from all sides is in the table. I'm not saying what he did was either right or wrong, but I'm saying when it comes to money and business, the field changes a bit.
    I get what you're saying. But in sports, if you leave your team to go play for a rival team you're going to be villified by the fans. If Favre had just stayed with the Jets, I doubt the fans would've cared that much.

But he went to their rival, the Vikings. And even if Favre had handled the situation better, he would still get villified in Green Bay. For example, if Peyton Manning decided to jump ship and play for the Patriots, he would get ripped the second he stepped into Indy wearing a Patriots uniform.

And let's switch to baseball, Johnny Damon played for the Red Sox, but jumped ship to play for the Yankees. The Red Sox fans ripped him the second he stepped foot into Fenway wearing Yankee pinstripes. Now, Pedro Martinez left Boston and went to play for the Mets, but Red Sox fans didn't hate him for it because the Mets weren't their hated rivals.

Favre knew he would get villified in Green Bay the second he went to the Vikings. Favre made it clear he wanted to play for the Vikings before he went to the Jets, but Green Bay was blocking him from going to the Vikings. And he hasn't shown any remorse about the way he screwed over Green Bay, so that just makes it worse for the Packer fans.

I get what you're saying. But in sports, if you leave your team to go play for a rival team you're going to be villified by the fans. If Favre had just stayed with the Jets, I doubt the fans would've cared that much.

But he went to their rival, the Vikings. And even if Favre had handled the situation better, he would still get villified in Green Bay. For example, if Peyton Manning decided to jump ship and play for the Patriots, he would get ripped the second he stepped into Indy wearing a Patriots uniform.

And let's switch to baseball, Johnny Damon played for the Red Sox, but jumped ship to play for the Yankees. The Red Sox fans ripped him the second he stepped foot into Fenway wearing Yankee pinstripes. Now, Pedro Martinez left Boston and went to play for the Mets, but Red Sox fans didn't hate him for it because the Mets weren't their hated rivals.

Favre knew he would get villified in Green Bay the second he went to the Vikings. Favre made it clear he wanted to play for the Vikings before he went to the Jets, but Green Bay was blocking him from going to the Vikings. And he hasn't shown any remorse about the way he screwed over Green Bay, so that just makes it worse for the Packer fans.
    If Peyton played for those bastards in NE, I would burn my Colts jersey and dare anyone to ever turn on any game he is playing in unless he is getting his ass kicked. Of course, I am a Colts fan and never was a Packers fan. I pretty much despise everything Patriots automatically because I have hated that team since I could hold a football.

I see exactly where you are coming from and even agree.

I just put the business view out there in my prior post. I completely understand that someone leaving for a team is not the same as someone leaving for the rival team or even someone who was worthless or a dick when he played for a team I liked, then went on to play well for another and act all cheery when he meets the former team in a game. Yea, Ricky Williams I am talking about you, you dick! (Interesting comments during the Saints/Dolphins game last week. That's all I'm saying. )

When it comes to this situation, the fan part of me feels like he did this for revenge and flipped the finger to his fans, while the business side of me feels he made a move that has proved to be a marketing and monetary success so far. As a fan, I would see him as an asshole who doesn't give a damn about his fans. As a businesswoman, I would see it as a chance to do something great for my business, in this case, himself, and stick it to the ones who stuck it to me even if it meant pissing off people who had nothing to do with any of it.

He had to know his Packer fans would be angry as all hell, but without knowing what went down between him and management, there is a chance pissing off the fans to get back at GB was worth it, to him, to go through with the Vikings.

*shrugs* Unless I know the exact situation, including what went on behind the scenes, I can't really say what I would have or have not done. I understand the fans feeling hurt and him going to the rival.

If Peyton played for those bastards in NE, I would burn my Colts jersey and dare anyone to ever turn on any game he is playing in unless he is getting his ass kicked. Of course, I am a Colts fan and never was a Packers fan. I pretty much despise everything Patriots automatically because I have hated that team since I could hold a football.

I see exactly where you are coming from and even agree.

I just put the business view out there in my prior post. I completely understand that someone leaving for a team is not the same as someone leaving for the rival team or even someone who was worthless or a dick when he played for a team I liked, then went on to play well for another and act all cheery when he meets the former team in a game. Yea, Ricky Williams I am talking about you, you dick! (Interesting comments during the Saints/Dolphins game last week. That's all I'm saying. )

When it comes to this situation, the fan part of me feels like he did this for revenge and flipped the finger to his fans, while the business side of me feels he made a move that has proved to be a marketing and monetary success so far. As a fan, I would see him as an asshole who doesn't give a damn about his fans. As a businesswoman, I would see it as a chance to do something great for my business, in this case, himself, and stick it to the ones who stuck it to me even if it meant pissing off people who had nothing to do with any of it.

He had to know his Packer fans would be angry as all hell, but without knowing what went down between him and management, there is a chance pissing off the fans to get back at GB was worth it, to him, to go through with the Vikings.

*shrugs* Unless I know the exact situation, including what went on behind the scenes, I can't really say what I would have or have not done. I understand the fans feeling hurt and him going to the rival.
    Even if Green Bay told Favre that he was too old and they wanted to get rid of him, he would still get villified by the Green Bay fans for going to the Vikings. I don't blame Favre for going to another team, that's his right, but when you purposely screw over the fans that supported you for years, with no explanation/remorse, then you have to take the heat for it.

Of course at this point, if Eli left the Giants to play for anybody, rival or not, the fans wouldn't care. We'd pack his damn bags and send him on his way.

Even if Green Bay told Favre that he was too old and they wanted to get rid of him, he would still get villified by the Green Bay fans for going to the Vikings. I don't blame Favre for going to another team, that's his right, but when you purposely screw over the fans that supported you for years, with no explanation/remorse, then you have to take the heat for it.

Of course at this point, if Eli left the Giants to play for anybody, rival or not, the fans wouldn't care. We'd pack his damn bags and send him on his way.
    Sorry KC, but considering the money the team has sunk into flycatcher (Does he ever close his mouth? It's annoying!), I have a feeling you are stuck with him for a long time, barring a team giving up some serious money and draft picks or Manning tripping over his own feet and hurting himself seriously.

Awesome game for the Vikings! Loved seeing them kick GB's ass!!!

And how cool was that one catch by Percy Harvin??? The three Packers collided with each other and fell to the ground,...clearing the path for Percy!! Awesome!!!

I couldn't believe the Eagles whomped NY like that,...I was like,....wtf??? Poor Eli! But at least Peyton won!

I am not a Packers fan, but even I think what Favre did was pretty shitty. And I can't stand him.
    Baltimore O's ​Fan!

I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

Sorry KC, but considering the money the team has sunk into flycatcher (Does he ever close his mouth? It's annoying!), I have a feeling you are stuck with him for a long time, barring a team giving up some serious money and draft picks or Manning tripping over his own feet and hurting himself seriously.
    You're right. Eli's not going anywhere anytime soon. So, as a Giants fan, I'm just going to have to keep the faith that he'll get out of this slump soon.

Awww, have you finally given up on Mr. Potato Head? I told you that pussy motherfucker wasn't no good. Now here you are with your heart broke. Maybe next time you'll listen to me.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Quote Originally Posted by greysfang View Post
    Awww, have you finally given up on Mr. Potato Head? I told you that pussy motherfucker wasn't no good. Now here you are with your heart broke. Maybe next time you'll listen to me.

Thread Information