Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: United States leads China in ‘real’ medal count

mjw
    Elite Member

Default United States leads China in ‘real’ medal count

United States leads China in ‘real’ medal count
    By Chris Chase

Through 11 days of the Olympics, China leads the United States in the official IOC medal count. But in Fourth-Place Medal's "real" medal count, a tally that ignores judged activities masquerading as sports, Team USA has a commanding lead over its Asian counterparts.

Our real medal count ignores Olympic disciplines like gymnastics and diving and instead focuses on sports where winners are determined on the field of play. When Usain Bolt or Michael Phelps wins a race, the result is objective and undeniable. Gabby Douglas winning the women's all-around was one of the most memorable moments of the first week. But why did she win a gold over Victoria Komova? Because some judges said she was 0.259 better? It wouldn't be so insulting if we weren't the rubes who accept it like it's real. Gymnastics wins aren't victories, they're subjective decisions based on objective-sounding rules.

So factor all of that out when talking about medal counts. China isn't ahead, the United States is. When you factor out all the judging nonsense in gymnastics, diving, trampoline and judo, Team USA is the decisive leader.

The bulk of the difference comes from diving and a trampoline. Chinese divers won five golds and six overall medals in London (compared to zero and three for Americans) and four overall medals in trampoline (Americans earned a goose egg).

We've heard the arguments: Tennis has chair umpires and basketball has referees. A bunch of judges peer at the target after every arching round to see whether an arrow is on or over the line. Every sport on the Olympic slate has some judge or official making decisions that can affect the final outcome. But except in very rare occasions -- like a gold-medal basketball game in Munich -- they don't pick the winner. Like rubes, we mindlessly accept that Jordyn Weiber was somehow determined to be 0.232 worse than Douglas in the gymnastics all-around qualification. When diving judges give a 9.0 instead of an 8.5, it's treated like Missy Franklin touching the wall first.

No more! The real medal count cuts through the nonsense and politics. Winning a competition on the field of play is the only way to get to our medal stand.
    United States leads China in

Idiot

Some people are really desperate. Does China beating the US (so far) really hurt that bad to some people? Lol. It's not that serious.
    *DIVA! and McJag like this.

Chris Chase (writer) is an epic asshole. Every single article of his that I've stumbled across on Yahoo's coverage is ridiculous biased and moronic. Take anything that jerk says with a grain of salt.
    Sarzy, *DIVA! and McJag like this.
    "Schadenfreude, hard to spell, easy to feel." ~VenusinFauxFurs

"Scoffing is one of my main hobbies!" ~Trixie

I do want to make one observation. It seems kind of strange that a country that is so high in the overall medal count has had so little presence in track and field. I barey saw any Chinese competitors on these events, either on tv or the medal counts listed for track and field the last two days.

what the fuck is this bullshit? 'real' medals? eat shit and die you fucking retard. so what if china's got more medals? get the fuck over it.
    *DIVA! likes this.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

I bet the author of that piece cheats at Solitaire.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

-- Stephen Hawking

Solitaire is a "real" sport becausejudges don't pick the winner.

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    I do want to make one observation. It seems kind of strange that a country that is so high in the overall medal count has had so little presence in track and field. I barey saw any Chinese competitors on these events, either on tv or the medal counts listed for track and field the last two days.
    Asians aren't good at track and field. We excel more at sports which require discipline and skill. But give us time and soon you'll see us out there giving countries like u.s. and Jamaica a run for their money (literally). Just like a few Olympics ago there were hardly any Asian swimmers but this London Olympics the chinese, Japanese , and even Koreans have had some pretty amazing swimmers.
    There is one Chinese hurdler, Liu Xiang who won gold in Athens but had to pull out in Beijing due to injury, who was favored to win in London but failed because his injury started bothering him again. There's a heartbreaking video of this race if you want to watch it, I'd suggest you google it.
    heart_leigh and tealbeal like this.

@ Mohandas - They might feel that they can't do as well in those events so focus on the others. You can't win everything, although I wouldn't put it past them!

China has had more than enough time to get its act together in track and field. Maybe they aren't standing on enough little kids' legs.

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    China has had more than enough time to get its act together in track and field. Maybe they aren't standing on enough little kids' legs.
    Lol Mo!
    I think it would be very hard for anyone to beat the black men in the sprint races. I just looked it up and the 100m was last won by a white man in 1980!

Come on we got to beat China at something!!!
    I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

This is bullshit!!
    Baltimore O's ​Fan!

I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

The real one we are all pulling for? Great Britain! They are doing terrific.
    levitt likes this.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Know what? If you make your countries Olympic team in any 'sport', you fuckin deserve a metal. Period.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information