Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Haters Need to Shut the Hell Up About Gabby Douglas’ Hair

Default Haters Need to Shut the Hell Up About Gabby Douglas’ Hair

16-year-old Gabby Douglas is officially an Olympic gold medalist. But some people watching her compete weren't focusing on her floor exercise — they were distracted by her hair.

Monisha Randolph, who runs a blog called Sporty Afros, has been dismayed with what she's seen:
    So what's the big deal about Gabby's hair? From what I am reading on Facebook and Twitter, many African American women who are SITTING and WATCHING Gabby compete believe her hair is not "kept."

She needs some gel and a brush…

Someone needs to give her a hair intervention…

She has to "represent"…

And indeed, if you search "Gabby Douglas hair" on Twitter, you get quite a few results. A tragic amount, to be honest. As Randolph writes:
    Have we forgotten that Gabby is competing at Olympics XXX? This is not America's Next Top Model that we're watching. These ladies are participating in a global athletic competition. And the last time I checked when you play a sport, you sweat. I know I do. And when a Black woman who has chosen to wear her hair straight begins to sweat, her hair will (not might) begin to revert back to its natural coily, curly, or kinky state. Does Gabby need to stop every five minutes to check her hair? No. When one experiences back-to-back intense workouts, that person learns what works best on their hair.
    Full size

Randolph also points out: "A large number of Black women do not work out because of their beloved hairstyle. This is so sad and this is why Sporty Afros was created. We are here to help women with their workout hair care solutions and crush excuses such as 'I can't workout because of my hair.'"

Recently, a New York magazine writer called investing in the Naturally Curly website a "dumb" idea. This sparked a backlash; and as the blogger behind Black Girl With Long Hair writes, "I think there are people both within and outside of the black community who are still ignorant about the increasing influence of textured/natural hair on media, business and culture." There have also been controversies surrounding the hairstyles of First Lady Michelle Obama and her daughters. (Even a Photoshopped mock-up of Michelle Obama with natural hair sparked a shitstorm of controversy.)

The point is that hair — black hair, especially — remains a hot-button issue. Hair is political, laden with subtext and meaning. Curly, textured hair — the kind a lot of black people have — is often called "wild." Straight hair — the kind a lot of white people have — is considered "polished" and "professional." We live in a culture where white people think it's okay to touch black people's hair. (It's not, FYI.) But for an athlete, the best hairstyle is the kind that lets you accomplish your goals. Even if she never won anything, her life is about her strength, flexibility and tumbling ability — not to mention dedication and focus. What's in her head, not what grows out of it. But since Gabby Douglas's hair did not stand in the way of a gold medal, it should be a non-issue.

Luckily, those critiquing Douglas's hair have drawn out voices of reason. There's a backlash, with many on Twitter defending the gymnast and scolding detractors:
    A Black woman slandered Gabby Douglas, claiming 'she needs to get a perm first'. A 16 yr old repping THE COUNTRY & your focus is her hair?
    Talking about Gabby Douglas' hair? At least it's hers. You got yours from one of Britain's Equestrian horses.
    Gabby Douglas can fix her hair. Some of yall can fix yourselves and your lack of aspirations/accomplishments at 20 something.
    Gabby Douglas is competing on a Gold Winning Team not a hair show. #KnockItOff
    Gabby Douglas got real hair and real Olympic. All y'all got is weaves and envy.

Haters Need to Shut the Hell Up About Gabby Douglas' Hair
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

I honestly don't see anything wrong with her hair. Maybe they don't like it because it's not a blonde bouncy ponytail?
    MsChiff likes this.
    I smile because I have no idea what's going on

^I agree.

I like this: Gabby Douglas got real hair and real Olympic. All y'all got is weaves and envy.

and Gabby Douglas is competing on a Gold Winning Team not a hair show. #KnockItOff lol

This girl is absolutely adorable. That smile is electric and I see big things on her future. And there is ZERO wrong with her hair!!!!

It looks like the way everyone else's hair is pulled back into a pony and then half pulled through again with a bunch of snap barrettes to keep the flyaways out of her eyes. Looks like they all do that.
    Bellatheball likes this.
    “What are you looking at, sugar-tits?” - Mel Gibson

fgg

her hair doesn't look any different than her teammates. jordyn is the only one who wears it in an actual ponytail.
    Bellatheball likes this.
    can't post pics because my computer's broken and i'm stupid

Is she supposed to wear it down? And not like every other girl on the team? Can someone explain this to me?

I didn't even think about her hair when I watched her. As far as appearance goes, I don't know how you can notice anything other than her million watt smile. When she was performing, I just watched her. Her hair is done the same way others on her team do their hair, it's practical for what she's doing. Ugh.
    MsChiff, McJag and rockchick like this.
    Gross, put it away. You could dress beautifully but you gotta be Miss Granny Panty Whore.
    ~Manx Mouse

Life is a hell of a thing to happen to a person.

People who are so bothered about her hair need to get lives.
    MsChiff, McJag and hustle4alivin like this.

I paid no attention to her hair during the Olympics. I can't believe that's what some people were focusing on. From what I read elsewhere, it seems that most of these comments are from the black community. It's sad when a young girl was able to break down barriers and be the first African American gymnast to win an individual gold medal and some people are more concerned with something as trivial as her hair!!!! They should be proud and celebrating her achievements not knocking her down cause of her hair - something I'm sure most other people didn't even notice. Wtf?!?
    Sarzy and rockchick like this.

As a black woman, I am offended by bullshit like this. I got some hell coming up because I was an athlete and didn't always have perfect hair. hell, to this day I don't go all out with my hair everyday. I wear a bun or ponytail to work about once a week or so. They seriously need to STFU and GTFO. Bitches.
    McJag, Brookie, chartreuse and 2 others like this.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Maybe it's because I have no experience with black hair but I don't actually understand what the criticism is, her hair looks pretty straight to me? Although I admit I'm not loving the sloppy bun the American girls have been sporting lately. The worst was Nastia Liukin at the Olympic Trials. But in the end, this is a ridiculous thing to focus on.

I don't think she can win really. If she had competed wearing a Cherokee weave on her head (which I doubt would've happened anyway) then people would be be complaining about her looking "video" or some shit.

Quote Originally Posted by SillyME54 View Post
    I paid no attention to her hair during the Olympics. I can't believe that's what some people were focusing on. From what I read elsewhere, it seems that most of these comments are from the black community. It's sad when a young girl was able to break down barriers and be the first African American gymnast to win an individual gold medal and some people are more concerned with something as trivial as her hair!!!! They should be proud and celebrating her achievements not knocking her down cause of her hair - something I'm sure most other people didn't even notice. Wtf?!?
    I completely agree with all of this.
    Quote Originally Posted by greysfang View Post
    As a black woman, I am offended by bullshit like this. I got some hell coming up because I was an athlete and didn't always have perfect hair. hell, to this day I don't go all out with my hair everyday. I wear a bun or ponytail to work about once a week or so. They seriously need to STFU and GTFO. Bitches.
    That sucks greys. I'm not understanding what having nice hair has to do with being and athlete.
    See, Whores, we are good for something. Love, Florida
    #fingersinthebootyassbitch

Black women never sweat because it messes up their perfect hair and it takes black women a lot longer to do their hair than it does other races. If you go out without perfect hair all the time you're "not right" and get lots of side-eye. Which is also kind of stupid because i have enough mixed blood that my hair isn't all that "black/ethnic" anyway, but I'm still supposed to at least attempt to be and look blacker than I actually am. **rolls eyes**
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information