Like Tree5Likes
  • 3 Post By Sarzy
  • 2 Post By MohandasKGanja

Thread: Saudi Arabia Allows A Token Female Olympian, So Get Off Their Backs Already

Default Saudi Arabia Allows A Token Female Olympian, So Get Off Their Backs Already

After 40 years of sending teams to the Olympics, Saudi Arabia has finally agreed that women should be allowed to participate. That manifests itself as one single athlete, born in America and raised in Europe, who will represent the Kingdom in equestrian events and thus be covered head to toe. And they're only doing it so they don't get banned from the Olympics. This is progress, but it is not much progress.

"The kingdom of Saudi Arabia is looking forward to full participation," said the country in a statement yesterday. "Full participation" is expected to entail only Dalma Rushdi Malhas, the Ohio-born show-jumper who won bronze in the 2010 Youth Olympics. The move comes amidst growing calls to exclude Saudi Arabia and two other nations who have never sent women to the Games. (The other two, Brunei and Qatar, are both expected to integrate at London, in Qatar's case as a virtual requirement for its bid to host the 2020 Olympics.)

It's an episode that doesn't reflect kindly on Saudi Arabia or the IOC, which has pretty much violated its own charter that calls for full equality in participation. South Africa was banned for nearly 30 years under apartheid, while Saudi Arabia has been practicing medieval gender apartheid with nary a peep. The Saudi Olympic Committee has promised to "oversee participation of female competitors who qualify," but implicit in that wording is a promise that things aren't going to change any more than they have to to avoid a ban. As detailed in a massive report from Human Rights Watch in February, female participation in sports in Saudi Arabia is barely theoretical. There are no state-sponsored athletics for girls in schools, and the small number of private sports clubs are routinely denied licenses and shut down by the religious-minded governing body for sport.
    Muhammad al-Munajid, a member of the Council of Senior Scholars, revealed the basic attitude of the religious establishment when he gave a television interview in 2009. "It is best for a Muslim woman to stay at home," he said. "My advice to a man is not to allow his daughter, and a husband not to allow his wife, or to allow his sister to enter such a club."

Sheikh Abdullah al-Maneea, another leading cleric, argued that the excessive "movement and jumping" in many sports might cause girls to tear their hymens and lose their virginity.
    In a country where women can't drive and can't vote and can't really do anything without a male "guardian," access to sports is pretty low on the list of priorities. So even if Saudi female athletes still have to compete covered up, and even if the country has been getting away with sending single-sex Olympic teams since the same year Title IX passed in the U.S., should this be a victory for women in sports everywhere? Nah. It's a victory for Dalma Rushdi Malhas, who was wealthy enough to pursue her own training, and lucky enough never to have to live in Saudi Arabia. And it's a victory for tokenism, and doing the bare minimum to satisfy a toothless IOC.

Saudi Arabia Allows A Token Female Olympian, So Get Off Their Backs Already
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Default Bad News, Olympics Fans: No Saudi Women Made the Cut

After Saudi Arabia felt some international pressure to send at least some female athletes to London this summer, the pan-Arab daily paper Al-Sharq al-Awsa has reported that not a single Saudi woman has qualified for the Olympics.

The AP cited a Sunday report in Al-Sharq al-Awsa (apparently a nifty tool for Saudi rulers) that announced there would be no "female team taking part in the three fields" that Saudi men have qualified for track, equestrian events, and weightlifting. Saudi Arabia could still face sanctions from the International Olympics Committee after the London Games if women are excluded from the country's Olympic team. Two weeks ago, the Saudi Embassy in London said that women who qualified for the Olympics would get to compete, and just a week ago, IOC President Jacques Rogge expressed some premature optimism that Saudi Arabia would send women to the Olympics for the first time ever. Guess we have to wait another four interminable years for the Saudi women to get their shot on the international stage (Rio's probably way more fun than London anyway no offense, English people).

Bad News, Olympics Fans: No Saudi Women Made the Cut
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

They should just ban Saudi Arabia from competing.

The Saudis just aren't going to change with any kind of immediacy or urgency - it's just not going to happen. I think every Saudi woman would have to participate in a national uprising for that to happen. It would be all kinds of awesome to witness, but I'd be surprised.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Sarzy View Post
    They should just ban Saudi Arabia from competing.
    I agree!
    I've been saying this for ages: Saudi Arabia should be banned for being against the Olympic spirit - even though I am aware that the Committee couldn't care less of the Olympic spirit: it's all business and money.

If they kick out Saudi Arabia, who do you guys think will take the gold this year in Synchronized Wife Disciplining?

Hard to participate in sports wearing a burqua.

Quote Originally Posted by Quazar View Post
    Hard to participate in sports wearing a burqua.
    Especially the swimming.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    If they kick out Saudi Arabia, who do you guys think will take the gold this year in Synchronized Wife Disciplining?
    Judging by the way they treat women i'm guessing the country with the biggest stones.

Saudi Arabia Caves to International Pressure, Will Send Two Women Athletes to Olympics

On Monday, it looked like there wouldn't be any Saudi women headed to the London Olympics.

But maybe their government was just fucking with us (delayed gratification: it works!), because the IOC announced today that Saudi Arabia will actually send judo athlete Wodjan Ali Seraj Abdulrahim Shahrkhani and 800-meter runner Sarah Attar to compete in the Games.

"This is very positive news and we will be delighted to welcome these two athletes in London in a few weeks time," IOC President Jacques Rogge said in a statement. "The IOC has been striving to ensure a greater gender balance at the Olympic Games, and today's news can be seen as an encouraging evolution."

Saudi Arabia received intense international pressure to send women athletes to the Olympics, but it wasn't the only country debating the issue — Qatar and Brunei are also including women on their teams in an unprecedented move. This means that every single country will be represented by female athletes for the first time ever.

History in the making!

Saudi Arabia Caves to International Pressure, Will Send Two Women Athletes to Olympics

Maybe-just maybe-the Saudis will realize they had better start training some female athletes. They could have some of the greatest athletes ever and we would never know-nor would they.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Thread Information