Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 27

Thread: Ben & Jerry's pull Jeremy Lin "Lin-Sanity" flavor due to racist claims

  1. #1
    Elite Member Mr. Authority's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Royal Oak,MI
    Posts
    4,631

    Default Ben & Jerry's pull Jeremy Lin "Lin-Sanity" flavor due to racist claims

    Ben & Jerry’s replaces fortune cookies in ‘Lin-Sanity’ flavor after controversy
    By Chris Chase | Ball Don't Lie – 8 hours ago

    Ben & Jerry's will take fortune cookies out of its new Jeremy Lin-inspired ice cream flavor after hearing complaints that the ingredient was racist.


    The limited-edition flavor, "Taste the Lin-Sanity," originally featured vanilla frozen yogurt, honey swirls and bits of fortune cookies, the latter ingredient serving as an obvious nod to Lin's heritage. After the backlash, the company pulled the cookies from the mix and replaced them with waffle cone pieces that will be served on the side.

    "There seemed to be a bit of an initial backlash about it, but we obviously weren't looking to offend anybody and the majority of the feedback about it has been positive," Ryan Midden, the general manager of the Ben & Jerry's in Cambridge, Ma., told the Boston Globe.

    And that quote right there encapsulates the politically correct culture in which we live. Most people liked it, Midden said. But because a few people didn't, Ben & Jerry's caved.

    The company says the main reason for removing the fortune cookies was because they got soggy inside the batch. If you believe that, I have a bridge made of Cherry Garcia to sell you.

    The move comes days after the Asian American Journalists Association released media guidelines about how to cover Lin. "Is there a compelling reason to draw a connection between Lin and fortune cookies, takeout boxes or similar imagery?," they wrote. "In the majority of news coverage, the answer will be no."

    Notice how the AAJA specifically mentions news coverage. There's never a compelling reason to run a graphic of Lin standing on a takeout box. But a tongue-in-cheek ice cream product being sold in Harvard Square is not news coverage.

    How else should they have honored him? He plays in the Big Apple, but apples aren't a good ice cream fruit. He played for the Harvard Crimson. That color doesn't go well with frozen yogurt. He grew up in Palo Alto, Calif., attending high school in the shadow of Stanford's football stadium. Adding bits of cardinal would have upset bird lovers.

    There's a difference between being color/race blind and completely ignoring a person's heritage. The über-PC police got all worked up about the inclusion of fortune cookies but surely their anger was misplaced. Lin's family is of Chinese descent. Fortune cookies are associated with Chinese food. A liberal ice-cream company no one ever associates with racism, hate or unfairness decided to have some fun with the connection. That's all.
    Ben & Jerry

    Torn about this because although I think this is "PC gone amok", it is kind of ignorant to reduce Lin's heritage to Fortune Cookies (if I remember right, fortune cookies aren't even from China/Taiwan).

  2. #2
    Gold Member memebot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Where the Wild Things Are
    Posts
    1,082

    Default

    I don't see in the quoted article where the ice cream company said it is pulling the product in response to the AAJA guidelines, as the indignant opinion article writer seems to suggest, but rather in response to customer complaints. Terrible writer needs to lick some Schweddy Balls and chill the fuck out.

  3. #3
    Elite Member pinkbunnyslippers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    99 miles from NYC
    Posts
    3,884

    Default

    I heard on the news that people thought it was racist to have to fortune cookies in it. Nothing racist about that. Now if the name would have been something like "Ching Chong" then that would be bad.
    "Fashion is an art, but individuality is the key"

  4. #4
    Gold Member memebot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Where the Wild Things Are
    Posts
    1,082

    Default

    Fortune cookies are not Chinese. And Lin is of Taiwanese descent. Maybe not exactly racist, but quite stupid IMO. Durr.

  5. #5
    Elite Member yanna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    9,398

    Default

    Fortune cookies taste like crap. I am sure they aren't much better in an ice cream...
    What if Superman is psychotic and everyone can see that he's Clark Kent but they just play along not to set him off?

  6. #6
    Super Moderator twitchy2.0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Milliways
    Posts
    53,580

    Default

    Equating Asians to fortune cookies IS racial stereotyping. Damn right they should have pulled it. It's 2012 for crying out loud. This shouldn't still be happening.

    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

    -- Stephen Hawking

  7. #7
    Elite Member Karistiona's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Alba
    Posts
    12,628

    Default

    I agree Twitchy, I really don't think this is ok.

    The remade one with the waffle cone sounds tasty
    I smile because I have no idea what's going on

  8. #8
    Elite Member SillyME54's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    3,787

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by twitchy2.0 View Post
    Equating Asians to fortune cookies IS racial stereotyping. Damn right they should have pulled it. It's 2012 for crying out loud. This shouldn't still be happening.
    Thank you! I am Asian and I totally agree! I hate how people equate Asians with shitty westernized Chinese food. How can people not see something wrong with it? Are Asians known for nothing else but cheap takeout? It's like making a flavor for lebron James and putting in fried chicken. And like someone else posted, fortune cookies aren't even Chinese. It's a completely American invention.

  9. #9
    Elite Member darksithbunny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    14,058

    Default

    Please please please ben and jerrys make a white cracker vanilla with the saltines and everything.

  10. #10
    Elite Member pinkbunnyslippers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    99 miles from NYC
    Posts
    3,884

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SillyME54 View Post
    Thank you! I am Asian and I totally agree! I hate how people equate Asians with shitty westernized Chinese food. How can people not see something wrong with it? Are Asians known for nothing else but cheap takeout? It's like making a flavor for lebron James and putting in fried chicken. And like someone else posted, fortune cookies aren't even Chinese. It's a completely American invention.
    I didn't know that fortune cookies were invented in America. Interesting. I can see your point. Although, I wouldn't be offended about Lebron and fried chicken.
    "Fashion is an art, but individuality is the key"

  11. #11
    Elite Member witchcurlgirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Acerbia
    Posts
    32,426

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by memebot View Post
    Fortune cookies are not Chinese. And Lin is of Taiwanese descent. Maybe not exactly racist, but quite stupid IMO. Durr.

    Have to be pedantic here. Taiwanese people are mainly Chinese. Almost everyone in Taiwan is of Chinese ethnicity. Hardly any aboriginal Taiwanese exist.
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.


    If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

  12. #12
    Elite Member KrisNine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Sleepy night night land
    Posts
    22,157

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    Have to be pedantic here. Taiwanese people are mainly Chinese. Almost everyone in Taiwan is of Chinese ethnicity. Hardly any aboriginal Taiwanese exist.
    Really? That is very interesting. I never knew that.

  13. #13
    Elite Member Brookie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    In the "D"
    Posts
    20,814

    Default

    What's next? Closing Irish bars because equating drinking with Ireland is offensive?
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

    - Mark Twain

  14. #14
    Elite Member Kathie_Moffett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    just another freak in the freak kingdom
    Posts
    6,956

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Authority View Post
    Ben & Jerry

    Torn about this because although I think this is "PC gone amok", it is kind of ignorant to reduce Lin's heritage to Fortune Cookies (if I remember right, fortune cookies aren't even from China/Taiwan).
    Agree. Yeah it's tacky and actually it sounds yucky.

    It probably WAS meant humorously...

    Given that the only way a lot of people can deal with touchy, uncomfortable, painful or shocking subject matter is to find a way to laugh at it, sanitizing humor has always seemed a questionable practice. Like the article pointed out, Ben and Jerry ARE fuzzy hippies ffs.

    They probably used fortune cookies because they are one of the few (the only? lol) pop culture items that connotes "Chinese" which you can actually put in ice cream.
    The whole idea seems dumb anyway. An ice cream that reminds you of a major sports figure? What should it taste like, sweaty jock straps?

    Quote Originally Posted by Brookie View Post
    What's next? Closing Irish bars because equating drinking with Ireland is offensive?
    Oh but that's *different*.

    Seriously though. If you were gonna make a weird jokey ice cream that connotes "China" what would you put in it? I can't think of anything except flavor ideas like green tea or something...bamboo shoots? uh. rice? ooh, that might be yummy if it were like rice pudding.
    Did you know that every time a parent gives in to their kid's whines and buys them candy at the checkout lane, a kitten gets diabetes?-Dlisted
    I dislike groups of people, but I love individuals. Every person you look at, you can see the universe in their eyes, if you're really looking.
    -George Carlin

  15. #15
    Elite Member Brookie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    In the "D"
    Posts
    20,814

    Default

    They probably used fortune cookies because they are one of the few (the only? lol) pop culture items that connotes "Chinese" which you can actually put in ice cream.
    The whole idea seems dumb anyway. An ice cream that reminds you of a major sports figure? What should it taste like, sweaty jock straps?
    I dunno, everybody seems to be looking for a fight these days. You can read racism into practically anything, including ice cream and innocuous comments made by sports commentators. Give me a break.

    I notice B&J's haven't been sued by Jerry Garcia's estate because Jerry didn't taste like cherries while he was alive.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

    - Mark Twain

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 23
    Last Post: January 20th, 2011, 11:05 AM
  2. Replies: 33
    Last Post: July 28th, 2010, 11:20 PM
  3. Replies: 2
    Last Post: June 4th, 2010, 10:47 AM
  4. Replies: 27
    Last Post: January 19th, 2009, 08:00 AM
  5. I need HELP!!! Ben and Jerry's flavor search
    By burnt_toast in forum Food and Cuisine
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: June 11th, 2007, 11:02 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •