Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Olympic Coach Accused Of Sexually Abusing Teen Gymnasts

Default Olympic Coach Accused Of Sexually Abusing Teen Gymnasts

Gymnastics coach Don Peters led the US women's team to eight Olympic medals. But according to a new exposé, he also sexually abused three teenage gymnasts.

The Orange County Register reports on allegations that Peters had sex with three gymnasts he coached in the 1980s. One, Doe Yamashiro, has gone on the record to accuse him of a years-long pattern of abuse. She describes the first time he made advances on her:
    He asked to speak with me in his hotel room and he locked the door behind us. And then he began groping me. And that was the worst; that was really the worst of it because I had never been kissed by a boy, and I wasn't even interested in boys at that point. I didn't have breasts. I was totally pre-pubescent at 16. And, you know, if you spend your life in the gym, you're totally emotionally naive.
    The following year, he had intercourse with her in a parked car:
    I still couldn't say 'no' to him. That incident I had a very strong emotional reaction to. That was a real physical violation and I was disgusted. I was disgusted at him and myself. And that's it. I was in pain and I had just lost my virginity. And then I had to go to workout.
    The age of consent in California is 18, so the alleged 1987 assault would constitute statutory rape — unfortunately, the statute of limitations has passed. Another woman, who did not give her name, told the Register that Peters "fondled" and had sex with her when she was 18. The woman had previously been molested by her father, which Peters knew, and she had already attempted suicide twice. She says, "I would include him in the people who have taken advantage of me. I was vulnerable and he knew that, and he really preys upon that kind of person." Peters's former office-mate Linda McNamara says he also confessed to having sex with a third teenager, this one under 18 — she has not come forward. Says Prof. Charol Shakeshaft,
    There is a special relationship between a coach and an athlete, particularly in an individual event sport like gymnastics, swimming, tennis. The coach is very important to the success of the athlete, and there are no other places to find that support, or at least that's what the athlete believes, usually because the coach has taught the athlete that message: 'Without me, you wouldn't be able to do this.'
    She adds, "they are afraid that if they speak up, they will lose all the good things and additional bad things will happen to them. The coach will hurt them, they will not be believed, they will lose their chances at the Olympics, etc." Other sports have suffered similar allegations in recent years: USA Swimming coaches have been accused of sexually abusing swimmers and secretly taping them while they changed. Yamashiro says the dangerous nature of gymnastics adds another layer of complexity: "you have this thing you're doing daily that is risking your life, and you have this coach who's spotting you and supposedly keeping you alive. So it just gets really twisted, the whole thing, twisted up." Peters is currently under investigation by USA Gymnastics — hopefully his case will draw attention to the need for oversight in the sport, and for alternative sources of support for young athletes who may currently feel they have nowhere to turn.

Olympic Coach Accused Of Sexually Abusing Teen Gymnasts
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

This just makes me sick. We all know all of those girls.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

That is disgusting! No male coach should be allowed any time alone with a child in a motel setting,ever. A chaperone should be present. Especially in a motel! They are dependent on coaches and this creep took full advantage.

ETA- While on trips aways from parents. All the trips in highschool I went on for tournements,etc had at least 4 chaperones. This might have happened anyway, but the girl would have had someone to turn to quickly.
    Last edited by McJag; September 27th, 2011 at 09:59 AM. Reason: clarification.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Quote Originally Posted by McJag View Post
    That is disgusting! No male coach should be allowed any time alone with a child,ever. A chaperone should be present. Especially in a motel! They are dependent on coaches and this creep took full advantage.
    This!
    ...Stopped smoking on March 8, 2011. Was trying to put a fancy ticker in my signature but it didn't work...

That is disgusting! No male coach should be allowed any time alone with a child,ever. A chaperone should be present. Especially in a motel! They are dependent on coaches and this creep took full advantage.
    I wouldn't say all that. The vast majority of men are perfectly safe, even beneficial, for children. No need to punish them all for a relatively small percentage of sick ass criminals.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Quote Originally Posted by greysfang View Post
    I wouldn't say all that. The vast majority of men are perfectly safe, even beneficial, for children. No need to punish them all for a relatively small percentage of sick ass criminals.
    Look what happened. A chaperone is not a bad thing and protects both. Parents can't be there full time,after all.
    Yes, the majority of men are quite safe.
    This one coached little girls and was not safe at all.
    I am talking about male grown coaches traveling with underage girls. I think there may be more than one pervert in that group.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Like a female coach would never abuse your kid... Parents just need to be alert and try to be close to their kids without hysterics. Most coaches I know, male and female are wonderful people and for the kid the relationship is as beneficial as another parent figure in their life.

Quote Originally Posted by yanna View Post
    Like a female coach would never abuse your kid... Parents just need to be alert and try to be close to their kids without hysterics. Most coaches I know, male and female are wonderful people and for the kid the relationship is as beneficial as another parent figure in their life.
    You are preaching to the choir. Of course it could be a female. In this case it was not. And we are talking about this case.
    This is not hysteria. It happened. A chaperone if a parent is not available would work.
    You are also missing the he said/she said. Just as easy for an accusation to be made against an innocent coach. With a chaperone present, both parties are safe.
    They travel. Parents cannot always go.

You are also missing the he said/she said. Just as easy for an accusation to be made against an innocent coach. With a chaperone present, both parties are safe.
    I'm with you there. A lot of teenagers develop feelings and things can get very dicey for the coaches, esp. those guilty of possessing a penis. Because you might say that you were referring to this case only but this statement:

No male coach should be allowed any time alone with a child,ever.
    looks pretty general to me. People shouldn't be ready to dismiss women and think that they are so much safer. Sure, they can't get your kid pregnant but plenty of women have sexualy abused children and teens.

^ It's less likely to be a woman though.
    Anyway this is sick.

Dunno Sarzy, I think it is almost as likely but it will be in a different way and it is totally underreported. It's not like all men will sexually abuse, it's a sick percentage of both sexes.

No male coach should be allowed any time alone with a child,ever. A chaperone should be present. Especially in a motel! They are dependent on coaches and this creep took full advantage.
    I understand the upset here, but I can't agree with the statement that no male coach should be alone with a child. That paints with a very broad brush, and how far should we go with it? That no man should ever be alone with any children ever because they could molest them?

As far as a minor traveling with an adult of the opposite sex, I can see where a chaperone would be appropriate there. But I just can't get on board with saying that no man can be alone with a child because they might be sex offenders underneath.

Quote Originally Posted by Laurent View Post
    I understand the upset here, but I can't agree with the statement that no male coach should be alone with a child. That paints with a very broad brush, and how far should we go with it? That no man should ever be alone with any children ever because they could molest them?

As far as a minor traveling with an adult of the opposite sex, I can see where a chaperone would be appropriate there. But I just can't get on board with saying that no man can be alone with a child because they might be sex offenders underneath.
    You are probably right, I just posted a gut reaction to this one article.

Still, I meant alone, while on a trip, in a motel setting.
    I was referring directly to this story and his easy access to his prey.

I never intended to suggest all men, all the time and have already corrected that impression, I thought!

Can we get over the political correctness a little, of course male coaches are far more likely to sexually abuse these young girls than women are. Why can't we be real about that?
    Santa is an elitist mother fucker -- giving expensive shit to rich kids and nothing to poor kids.

Quote Originally Posted by ManxMouse View Post
    Can we get over the political correctness a little, of course male coaches are far more likely to sexually abuse these young girls than women are. Why can't we be real about that?
    This, again...
    And when do we start to recognize that prevention is a viable course of action? We need to step up and try and prevent these things from occuring. There is nothing wrong with taking proper steps beforehand. Lots of pedos go into these positions simply because they have access to little girls, boys, etc. and if some roadblocks are put up they wouldn't have the easy opportunity.
    ...Stopped smoking on March 8, 2011. Was trying to put a fancy ticker in my signature but it didn't work...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information