Login to remove the ads!

Thread: Pat Summit, Legendary Women's Basketball Coach, Diagnosed with Dementia

fgg

Default Pat Summit, Legendary Women's Basketball Coach, Diagnosed with Dementia

Pat Summit, Legendary Women's Basketball Coach, Diagnosed with Dementia

Pat Summit, one of the most successful basketball coaches in college history, announced she was diagnosed with early onset dementia linked to Alzheimer's disease.

Summit, 59, who has led the University of Tennessee women's team to eight national championships, says she'll continue to serve as head coach of the Lady Vols while undergoing treatment that includes medication and mental exercises.

"Obviously, I realize I may have some limitations with this condition since there will be some good days and some bad days," she says in a video message. "For that reason I will be relying on my outstanding coaching staff like never before."

Summit says that after last season she "addressed some ongoing concerns regarding my health" and received the diagnosis earlier this summer at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn.

She initially reacted with anger and denial, she tells the Knoxville News Sentinel, to news she would be facing a progressive condition that could impair memory, thinking, language, judgment and behavior.

But she is now determined to move forward.

"There's not going to be any pity party," she tells the News Sentinel, "and I'll make sure of that."

Dementia: Pat Summit, Tennessee Coach, Diagnosed : People.com

i don't know anything about her bc i don't follow women's basketball but wow. i feel awful for her because my grandmother was diagnosed with onset in her mid-50s and it has not been pretty.
    can't post pics because my computer's broken and i'm stupid

Wow this is sad. So young and she is a damn fine coach.
    I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

I wonder what sent her in to the clinic.

FGG, very sad about your Grandmother. Do you mind saying how she was diagnosed so early?

That is such a cruel diagnosis for anyone. Not even 60 yet. They showed her on NBC news. She seemed such a great coach and person. Sad,sad.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

fgg

my grandfather was dying of cancer so when she started acting strangely (forgetting things, etc.) we thought it was the stress. after he died and she was on her own, we saw it more and more and she would try to cover things up. my mom and i spent a lot of time with her as we lived close and you could tell something wasn't right. my mom and aunts got her to go to the doctor without really telling her why and we found out. she's lived with it for about 20 years now but it's just beyond heartbreaking to see.

one of my biggest fears is that it will happen to me in my mid-50s as well or earlier. i've heard of it happening as early as 30s.
    can't post pics because my computer's broken and i'm stupid

Quote Originally Posted by fgg View Post
    my grandfather was dying of cancer so when she started acting strangely (forgetting things, etc.) we thought it was the stress. after he died and she was on her own, we saw it more and more and she would try to cover things up. my mom and i spent a lot of time with her as we lived close and you could tell something wasn't right. my mom and aunts got her to go to the doctor without really telling her why and we found out. she's lived with it for about 20 years now but it's just beyond heartbreaking to see.

one of my biggest fears is that it will happen to me in my mid-50s as well or earlier. i've heard of it happening as early as 30s.
    Thank you for sharing that.
    And don't waste any time worrying, just remember there are already many slow-it-down drugs already and by the time you get to your 50's, I think they will have an answer. Right now, that new ALS finding is so great. They will be working hard and fast on that. Maybe soon enough to save this Coach. You were born at the right time!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/1146310-post12.html

The neighbor I talked about died in 2009 in a home, I think, at the age of 77. By then she was totally unable to communicate.
    Warren Beatty: actor, director, writer, producer.

***** celeb

Both my grandmothers had dementia, it's absolutely horrible.

I found this that explains why she went in for tests. I also find this so sad, her son is just 20.

Summitt has been bothered for a while by rheumatoid arthritis. Tennessee athletics director Joan Cronan said that the coach initially chalked up her memory problems to side effects from medicine she was taking to treat it.
    The coach first consulted local doctors, who recommended she undergo a more extensive evaluation. In May, she traveled to the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn., where doctors performed a spinal tap and other tests that eventually produced the diagnosis.

From AP

This effects so many of this on here, my Mother has dementia also.
    I am so,so hopeful those new ALS findings will result in a fast cure for this.

Thread Information