Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kobe Bryant appears to direct gay slur toward referee during Lakers-Spurs game

Default Kobe Bryant appears to direct gay slur toward referee during Lakers-Spurs game

(future statement to read, "I'm sorry IF I offended anyone, I have gay friends....")

Kobe Bryant appears to direct gay slur toward referee during Lakers-Spurs game [Updated] | Lakers Blog | Los Angeles Times

After receiving his 15th technical foul of the season, Lakers guard Kobe Bryant sat down on the bench and appeared to direct a gay slur toward referee Bennie Adams.

The TNT telecast captured Bryant's outburst during the Lakers' 102-93 victory Tuesday over the San Antonio Spurs. He hit his seat before sitting, threw a towel and then yelled "Bennie!" before appearing to mutter the homophobic slur. That prompted TNT announcer Steve Kerr to say, "You might want to take the cameras off of him right now, for the children watching from home."

[Updated at 11:02 a.m.: An NBA spokesman said the league would review the incident, which prompted Human Rights Campaign (HRC), the nation’s largest lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender civil rights organization, to release a statement calling on Bryant and the Lakers to publicly address the issue.

"What a disgrace for Kobe Bryant to use such horribly offensive and distasteful language, especially when millions of people are watching," the HRC said in a statement. " Hopefully Mr. Bryant will recognize that as a person with such fame and influence, the use of such language not only offends millions of LGBT people around the world, but also perpetuates a culture of discrimination and hate that all of us, most notably Mr. Bryant, should be working to eradicate. Bryant and the Lakers have a responsibility to speak up on this issue immediately. America is watching.”]

A Lakers spokesman didn't offer any official comment, but said Bryant planned to release a statement soon. Lakers Coach Phil Jackson spoke in general terms regarding Bryant's technical foul after the game.

"I think he's frustrated and it's normal he would be frustrated. He didn't shoot the ball particularly well tonight," Jackson said of Bryant's 27-point effort on eight-of-21 shooting. "He was aggressive and got a foul call he disputed later and was rung up for. Now he's against the edge."

Should Bryant pick up his 16th technical Wednesday in the Lakers' season finale at Sacramento he would be suspended for the first game of the 2011-12 season. Technical counts reset for the playoffs.

i can't stand this douche but this is an athlete who got frustrated during a game and muttered something nasty to the referee and this is news?
    you should hear the things i call my computer at work when it freezes...
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Maybe it would have been more newsworthy if a player had called the ref a nigger.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

I don't think stress and anger excuse being an asshole. Like Grim said, if we were talking about a racial slur, people wouldn't stand for it.

i think people say a lot of crap when they're angry. i mean, i call my computer a motherfucking cocksucker all the time, does that mean i think it's wrong to suck cock or that i'm degrading and offending anyone who's ever sucked one? cause in that case i'm the first one concerned...
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Already hated this asshole and nothing he does surprises me.
    I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

Quote Originally Posted by Laurent View Post
    I don't think stress and anger excuse being an asshole. Like Grim said, if we were talking about a racial slur, people wouldn't stand for it.
    agreed

pretty much what I am thinking as well
    Quote Originally Posted by Kat Scorp View Post
    My fellow 1982 Scorpion! Never occurred to me that penises go into ears until your twitpics
    @NickoMoralesXXX
    @Sexy_Seth_1982 awe sexy! You're just too cute to be true- I can't take my eyes off of you-

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    i think people say a lot of crap when they're angry. i mean, i call my computer a motherfucking cocksucker all the time, does that mean i think it's wrong to suck cock or that i'm degrading and offending anyone who's ever sucked one? cause in that case i'm the first one concerned...
    You're not an idolized sports star playing on national TV when you do it, are you? These guys gotta know better - fans CAN read lips and if they're close enough to the bench, they can hear.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

he was fined 100k by the NBA. and he's appealing it.

i hate Kobe. I don't buy the heat of the moment excuse. How many athletes don't say anything in the heat of the moment. oh, and i also hate the Lakers.
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

Hit By Ban Bus!

Piece of garbage.

Quote Originally Posted by msdeb View Post
    he was fined 100k by the NBA. and he's appealing it.

i hate Kobe. I don't buy the heat of the moment excuse. How many athletes don't say anything in the heat of the moment. oh, and i also hate the Lakers.
    $100K for this guy is chump change.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

He should take the fine without bitching and issue an apology. But he never takes the high road.

Meryl doesn't even try anymore. She just calls Lanvin and asks for curtains with a belt.~Bitter
    Can we interest you in Leann Rimes? She has a nice little cadre of fans you'd probably enjoy.~ Pecan Pie

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    Maybe it would have been more newsworthy if a player had called the ref a nigger.
    Quote Originally Posted by Laurent View Post

Yeah, can you imagine if a white player had called a black ref a nigger? They would have been crucified(and righty so).

I concur. I am done with the Lakers and Kobe..I have lost interest in them and the NBA in general this season anyway, and now they can just go fuck themselves.

*And I cuss out my computer too, but I really don't call it things like nigger or ovendodging kike or any other racial or ethnic slur. The cuss words that come out are just not of that type, ya know?

^^
    yeah i don't call anyone a racial insult but sexual ones come out of my mouth very easily.

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    ^^
    yeah i don't call anyone a racial insult but sexual ones come out of my mouth very easily.
    Hmmm, projection? Come lay down on my couch and let's talk about it.

(And no, that wasn't meant as a come-on, you cocksucking slutbag cuntdonkey). I mean that in the nicest way possible, of course.
    Women ain't gonna let a thing like sense fuck up their argument. - Chris Rock

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information