Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tennis pro David Ferrer lobs ball into stands in direction of crying child

Default Tennis pro David Ferrer lobs ball into stands in direction of crying child

Video: Ferrer lobs ball into stands in direction of crying child - Busted Racquet - Tennis*Blog - Yahoo! Sports

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDe7pXksxmk[/YOUTUBE]

David Ferrer was preparing to serve in his quarterfinal match against American Mardy Fish when the sound of a bawling child filled stadium court. The sixth-ranked Spaniard briefly paused, but decided to play through the noise.
    Ferrer lost the point. Then he lost his composure. Looking in the general direction of the crying baby, Ferrer lobbed a ball into the crowd in frustration. He went on to lose the next point and four straight games capping a complete second-set meltdown.

Given how bad Ferrer's groundstrokes were in the second set, it's no surprise that the ball didn't come close to hitting the baby. (Rimshot!)
    Ferrer's actions were reckless and immature. It was a bully move borne out of frustration. He hit a ball in anger toward the crowd, which is never acceptable, particularly when it's at a defenseless child. He's lucky he didn't get a warning or a fine. He's even more lucky the ball didn't come close to hitting anybody.

Is all that out of the way? Good. Because while I believe everything in the previous paragraph, there's another big issue at hand: Who brings a baby to a tennis match?

There are two places babies don't belong: bars and any place where silence is greatly valued. Find a babysitter. Leave the child outside the stadium with your wife. Or, better yet, watch the match on TV. (But not in a bar.) Ferrer was wrong for overreacting, but the father is equally wrong for putting his child in that situation.

Fish defended Ferrer after the match. "He'd probably take that one back if he could," he said. "He's a very nice guy. Obviously flustered."
    For his part, Ferrer didn't blame the baby for his meltdown, saying a bout of indigestion is what caused the collapse of his game. "[The crying baby] was in one moment of the match, but nothing special," he said. "It was not the problem."

No, the problem was Ferrer's boorish behavior, which was caused just as much by his decision to play through the noise than it was from the noise itself. The instant Ferrer thought he shouldn't serve, he should have backed away from the baseline to collect himself. When he lost the point, he seemed more frustrated at himself for playing rather than the child.
    His warning shot worked, by the way. The child stopped crying after Ferrer launched the ball into the stands.

here's another big issue at hand: Who brings a baby to a tennis match?
    BUT PRECIOUS SNOWFLAKE CAN DO NO WRONGGGGGGGGGGG
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

my hero.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Ferrer really is one of the nicest guys on the ATP tour,and I can understand his frustrations about this. I don't know how many times I have heard a kid crying loudly from the stands so far during this tournie. It's distracting to me watching from home so you know it's got to be even more distracting to a player about to serve or make a shot.

That must have been so annoying for him

Quote Originally Posted by celeb_2006 View Post
    Leave the child outside the stadium with your wife.
    Nice random bit of sexism.
    Santa is an elitist mother fucker -- giving expensive shit to rich kids and nothing to poor kids.

I think he was a twat for doing that. He could have hit someone.

He should have lobbed the ball at the parents and hit them.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

Who brings a baby to an event like that?
    (276): Michelle Duggar likes to fuuuuck
    OK, I can't sing, I can't act, I'm dumb, I'm a hillbilly, but I can twerk, so whatever.-Miley Cyrus

Probably the same people who brought their baby to my evening wedding.
    Santa is an elitist mother fucker -- giving expensive shit to rich kids and nothing to poor kids.

Quote Originally Posted by ManxMouse View Post
    Probably the same people who brought their baby to my evening wedding.
    I hope you lobbed a tennis ball at them! Oh, wait...
    (276): Michelle Duggar likes to fuuuuck
    OK, I can't sing, I can't act, I'm dumb, I'm a hillbilly, but I can twerk, so whatever.-Miley Cyrus

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

I completely agree that a tennis match is no place to take a baby (along with the cinema/theatre/anywhere else where it is considered good manners to STFU) but sending a ball into the crowd is also unacceptable. Being hit with a tennis ball thrown by a non-professional can hurt, so just imagine how it'd feel if you were hit by one that was sent on its way by a pro player?
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

How big would a T-Rex wang be?! - Karistiona

^Perhaps the parents would then learn their lesson.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Sarzy View Post
    I think he was a twat for doing that. He could have hit someone.

So what? It's a tennis ball, not a brick. It will hurt but it's not going to do any damage.

I agree with both sides of this story, it was wrong to bring a baby to a tennis match, but Ferrer was a jackass for lobbing a ball at him.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

There should be a rule that crying babies are removed immediately. That one did keep on & on and her dad should have taken her out quickly. Why bring an infant anyway?
    It would have brought applause if he had just stopped and shouted "Get that baby out!"
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information