Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 108-3 girls basketball rout raises questions

Default 108-3 girls basketball rout raises questions

108-3 girls basketball rout raises questions - Prep Rally - High School* - Yahoo! Sports

It's been called unsportsmanlike. It's been called ugly. The question now is whether Christian Heritage (Utah) High, which routed West Ridge (Utah) Academy, 108-3, in a girls basketball game last week, actually did anything wrong by blowing out an overwhelmed opponent.

The stunning scoreline -- from a varsity game in which Christian Heritage reportedly never used a full-court press -- nearly defies belief. As reported in the Deseret News and Salt Lake Tribune, Christian Heritage scored 28 points per quarter for the first three periods and 24 in the fourth, providing a consistent average of nearly two baskets per minute across the entire game. The Crusaders shut out West Ridge (pictured above running on to the court for the team's game following the rout) for the first three quarters, and Christian Heritage starter Josi Rydin even racked up a unique triple-double, with exactly 10 points, 10 rebounds and 10 steals.

"I don’t know why the score was that high, or what the point was," Jamie Keefer, West Ridge’s athletic director and a coach for the girls’ team, told the Salt Lake Tribune. "I don’t think it would’ve happened that way if it were the other way around."

Yet while Christian Heritage is a clear and obvious target for criticism, Crusaders coach Rob McGill has argued that he had little choice. According to ABC 4 News out of Salt Lake City, the program had just nine players available for both the varsity and junior varsity games against West Ridge, leaving the coach with little option when considering whether to pull out his starters early in the game.

And with his starters still in the game, McGill decided it would be more disrespectful to slow the ball down and pass around the perimeter than continuing to run the team's offense.

"I have been on the other side of this equation," McGill told ABC 4. "It was very insulting when teams slowed the ball down and just passed it around. That's why I'd rather have a team play me straight up, and that's why I played them straight up. Because I didn't want to taunt them, I didn't want to embarrass them, I didn't want them to think we could do whatever we want."

While Christian Heritage has already apologized for the lopsided scoreline and administrators at West Ridge have said the school harbors no ill will and has moved on from the incident, there are still lingering concerns about what could happen when the teams play again. The two are scheduled to play Feb. 3 for the second half of the schools' home-and-home league meetings.

Much of that concern comes from McGill's personal philosophy. The coach said he refuses to force his players to back down just because they have all but assured a victory, citing a desire to promote values that he feels are limited by contemporary culture.

"Too many people in the world right now allow the youth to not be as good as they can be, allow them to be lazy," said McGill. "Here, I'm giving them an opportunity to live up to the best of their abilities and be proud of what they're able to accomplish. If that's what I'm being blamed for, then OK, I accept it."
    That "commitment to excellence" comes at a cost. In this case, it was the ego of teenage girls that was affected by the effective implementation of McGill's personal philosophy. Given that West Ridge is a school for at-risk youth, those egos in question may be even more fragile than most.

Of course, Christian Heritage is hardly the first school to come under fire for running up a huge scoreline against an overwhelmed opponent. Last year, Yates (Texas) High was roundly criticized for a 170-35 rout during its undefeated, 34-0 national title campaign. Like McGill, Yates coach Greg Wise has routinely been attacked for his penchant for pushing his team to score as many points as possible, regardless of the foe, a contention which was raised again this year when an opponent intentionally stopped trying to score just to keep Yates from scoring 100 points.

Christian Heritage certainly isn't being seen in that light ... yet. And now that the game is over and in the past, McGill seems to have a sense of just how his team's victory may have affected not just a team, but a school and community itself.

"Absolutely, I mean who wouldn't regret that?" McGill told ABC4 News.

Among the players on the game's losing end was West Ridge's Carli Perkins, a captain and the team's leading scorer.

"Sometimes the score doesn’t show everything. Sometimes all you can give is your fullest," Perkins told the Salt Lake Tribune of her team's struggles. "It’s really important to have sportsmanship. It makes basketball fun."

That type of noble reaction has clearly had an effect on McGill's players and Christian Heritage administrators.

"We're going to sit down with them and make sure they know how we feel," said Christian Heritage head of school Don Hopper. "We didn't mean to do anything to hurt them or upset them. It got away from us, and we're going to do things differently next time."

"I want to personally apologize to the team," said Crusaders co-captain Brittany Hurlbut. "To just say if we hurt any members of the team or the school, we sincerely apologize."

I don't get it. One team played well, the other team played like shit. Welcome to the whole "win/lose" scenario.

You don't get a trophy for showing up, kids. If you want to win, then get off your ass and work for it.

Jesus, society is fucking lame these days.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

yeah i don't get it either.
    so they got their asses kicked. and the other team is supposed to stop trying half-way through because it's somehow 'unsportsmanlike' to finish a game when you're winning?
    i mean, am i missing something here?
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Now, it may not be popular but ... at a game my son was playing, we were beating the teetotal shit out of a team and it was just sad. Sad enough to look at that our coach had them shut the scoreboard off so as not to humiliate the other team any further.
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(•_•)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

My girls play basketball and we have had blow out games. Usually when we are up 30 points or more and the clock is winding down, the coaches always pull out the starters and better players, and only play the younger and less experienced girls. Just to give the other team a chance to not be slaughtered and humiliated. We still know we will end up winning. I think it is very sportsman and kind not to totally slam the loss in the other teams face. Especially when it is with young kids and teens in middle/high school sports.
    Last edited by JadeStar70; January 25th, 2011 at 09:46 AM.

I don't care much one way or the other, but when I was a kid, if you were killing another team, you slowed down play and put your 2nd and 3rd stringers in.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Ha ha! West Ridge SUX!!!!

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

-- Stephen Hawking

Quote Originally Posted by JadeStar70 View Post
    My girls play basketball and we have had blow out games. Usually when we are up 30 points or more and the clock is winding down, the coaches always pull out the starters and better players, and only play the younger and less experienced girls. Just to give the other team a chance to not be slaughtered and humiliated. We still know we will end up winning. I think it is very sportsman and kind not to totally slam the loss in the other teams face. Especially when it is with young kids and teens in middle/high school sports.
    But in this case the team didn't have enough players available to play to be able to do that, they only had 9. I hate that they add that stupid crap about worrying what might happen when the teams play again. It probably would have been merciful to turn the scoreboard off, but the players still would have known that they only scored 3 points.
    If i hear one more personal attack, i will type while drunk, then you can cry! - Bugdoll
    (716): I'd call her a cunt, but she doesn't seem to have the depth or warmth
    Quote Originally Posted by shedevilang View Post
    (Replying to MontanaMama) This is some of the smartest shit I ever read

Quote Originally Posted by twitchy2.0 View Post
    Apparently, they are also a school for recovering drug addicts/substance abusers.

West Ridge Academy - We help teens with substance abuse and other difficulties

Quote Originally Posted by twitchy2.0 View Post

BOL!

Even just with the nine players, he could have put in the JV though. *shrug*

The pussification of society continues.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

My Miami Hurricane friends always accused Steve Spurrier of doing the same thing when he was coach of the Gators. I never saw anything wrong with it.
    See, Whores, we are good for something. Love, Florida
    #fingersinthebootyassbitch

Hit By Ban Bus!

I dont understand this article, what is the point of the story? A sucky team got beat, the winning team played fair and square, um...?

Pussification indeed.

Shining a little more light on the game. That also kind of explains why the losing team wasn't bitter about it:

Girls' basketball: West Ridge Academy moves beyond 108-3 loss
    By Kyle Goon The Salt Lake Tribune

West Jordan » It's the only the first quarter, but everyone who has come to the girls' basketball game at West Ridge Academy knows the hometown Eagles are going to lose.The fans, the coaches, the players -- they all are certain about the eventual result: The Eagles have lost every game this season by 38 points or more.

Almost everyone on West Ridge's roster is playing organized basketball for the first time.So when Carli Perkins drives inside and throws up a shot that rattles into the hoop and sinks through the net, cutting St. Joseph's lead to 4-2, it's a big statement.

It will be the smallest margin between the two teams all night.By the second quarter, West Ridge has four points, all scored by Perkins. She's the Eagles' best player, meaning she's actually played basketball before. "I've always liked basketball," the sophomore point guard says. "It's a great distraction that really helps me forget everything else that's going on."Perkins joined a Junior Jazz team in middle school, but had to quit the team because her grades were slipping, she says.

It's one of the reasons Perkins is at West Ridge Academy, a private boarding school for children and teenagers with behavioral problems, family issues or who struggle with substance abuse. The school puts students through a strict regimen of academics and therapy for about 10 months.The Eagles miss shots, throw errant passes and sometimes struggle while dribbling.

But they're out there -- perhaps not talented but focused -- moving the ball, waving their arms on defense, and doing the best they can despite an imminent blowout."When we're on the court, we just let everything else go -- just the drama, the family stuff, whatever's going on," says Jessica Christensen, a captain who never played organized sports before this season. "Sometime it's hard to come from therapy into practice, but you have to forget about it."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information