Thread: So Sad! Star Rutgers Football Player Paralyzed Below the Neck During Game

fgg

Default So Sad! Star Rutgers Football Player Paralyzed Below the Neck During Game

Star Rutgers Football Player Paralyzed Below the Neck During Game

By Sara Hammel
    Monday October 18, 2010 01:35 PM EDT

Eric LeGrand

In a sad example of life imitating art, a Rutgers student is now paralyzed below the neck after a tackle in the fourth quarter of a game Saturday went bad.

Echoing events in the pilot episode of the popular NBC TV show Friday Night Lights, defensive tackle Eric LeGrand, a junior from Avenel, N.J., was injured when he slammed into Army's Malcolm Brown on a kickoff.

It happened near the 25-yard-line, with the top of LeGrand's helmet knocking into the opposing player's left shoulder. LeGrand collapsed and lay still as medics rushed to help. By Sunday, it was clear that LeGrand was paralyzed from the neck down, Rutgers announced. Rutgers won the game 23-20 in an overtime victory.

"Eric's spirits were as good as you can expect," Rutgers coach Greg Schiano said in a teleconference Sunday. "He was cognizant of me being there, his mom, everybody. He's a fighter."

LeGrand who Schiano says is "a special guy and a guy who really loves to play the game" had emergency surgery Saturday night at Hackensack University Medical Center, according to the New York Times.

Eric LeGrand
    Rich Schultz / AP

His team refuses to give up on him. Citing the case of Penn State cornerback Adam Taliaferro who walked again after a spinal cord injury took him out of the game for good, Schiano said: "We're going to believe. Eric LeGrand is going to walk onto that field with us. That's what we believe."

Star Rutgers Football Player Paralyzed Below the Neck During Game - Health : People.com

Jesus,...that is so sad. The game is very dangerous,...you kind of forget about that at times when watching as a fan. You just expect players to get up, or have simple injuries. Sounds like this kid had a great future, not only in football, but school and life. Heart breaking!!

One second everything is fine then something like that happens. I feel bad for him.

Prayers to this kid and his family. How completely horrific.

Lolo Jones Causes Uproar Over Tweet To Eric LeGrand, Paralyzed Former Football Player
    The Huffington Post | By Cavan Sieczkowski Posted: 10/03/2012 11:44 am EDT Updated: 10/03/2012 11:48 am EDT

Olympic track star Lolo Jones caused yet another Twitter uproar when she sent an insensitive message to a paralyzed former football player.
    Eric LeGrand used to play football with Rutgers University's Scarlet Knights. He was paralyzed in his junior year during a game in October of 2010. On Monday, he jokingly tweeted Jones saying, "Want to race me," according to the Los Angeles Times.
    She responded: "Get checked for a concussion. clearly u've been hit in the head ... cos u arent beating a track athlete."
    Then came the backlash.
    @lolojones
    Lolo Jones
    No, dnt know. sry dont know every football player. He challenged me 2 a race & I responded RT @finae25: u know he's a quadrapalegic now?
    October 3, 2012 12:19 am via UberSocial for BlackBerry Reply Retweet Favorite

Jones, who deleted the controversial tweet, supposedly did not know LeGrand or anything about him. The 30-year-old Olympian apologized and the former football player accepted, responding, "didnt take it personal, understand where ur coming from. All good," according to the Los Angeles Times.
    After apologizing, Jones released a statement to Yahoo! Sports.
    "I'm truly sorry if I offended anyone by my tweet," she said. "When Eric challenged me to a race earlier all I knew was that he was a football player, but certainly had no idea he had become paralyzed from a football injury. I thought I was tweeting in good fun like I always do with the many athletes who challenge me to races."
    "I really appreciate that Eric understands my mistake and acknowledges that there was no ill will intended," Jones added to Yahoo! Sports. "I've become familiar with his story tonight and he is certainly an inspiration to so many people, which I really admire."
    Still, Jones is receiving criticism from all directions, and she's not too happy about it.

Ryan Hudson of SB Nation went one step further and took a shot at Jones' overall character.
    "But apology or studying up on NFL rosters won't really change Lolo Jones, or who she is. Everything you need to know about her intentions are clearly on display in her original tweet that started it all," Hudson wrote. "Ignoring the fact LeGrand is paralyzed and in a wheelchair, Lolo Jones' first response was to make a concussion joke about a football player. With everything we now know about how damaging head injuries can be, she still opted to make light of brain damage because HARF HARF FOOTBALL PLAYERS DUMB."
    He concludes, "I guess what I'm trying to say is: there's no reason to get too upset, because it was a lowest common denominator joke, made by a lowest common denominator person."
    LeGrand is oft-praised for what he has achieved since his paralysis.
    Last year, he made the cover of Sports Illustrated after fans selected his returning to football on Oct. 29, leading the Scarlet Knights onto the field at Rutgers stadium, as the "Moment of the Year." In May, he was signed to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers as an honorary player. He received the Jimmy V Perseverance Award at the ESPY Awards in July and released a book, "Believe," last month.
    In a display of his own character, LeGrand extended an olive branch to Jones, tweeting: "did not mean to start anything at all, sorry for all this crazy stuff being said. Much respect for you."
    PHOTO: Eric LeGrand accepts the Jimmy V Awards at the ESPYs.
    At least LeGrand seems to have a sense of humor and is doing well.
    Gross, put it away. You could dress beautifully but you gotta be Miss Granny Panty Whore.
    ~Manx Mouse

Life is a hell of a thing to happen to a person.

Thread Information