Thread: Sacked St Kilda player Andrew Lovett to stand trial over alleged rape

Default Sacked St Kilda player Andrew Lovett to stand trial over alleged rape

Sacked St Kilda player Andrew Lovett to stand trial over alleged rape

ADRIAN LOWE

August 11, 2010 - 2:51PM

Lovett to stand trial for rape

Sacked St Kilda player Andrew Lovett has been committed to stand trial on two rape charges.

Sacked St Kilda footballer Andrew Lovett has been committed to stand trial on two rape charges.
    Deputy Chief Magistrate Jelena Popovic said this afternoon that there was evidence of sufficient weight on which Lovett should face trial.
    Lovett is charged with twice raping a woman at the Port Melbourne apartment of his then teammates Jason Gram and Sam Fisher last Christmas Eve.

Andrew Lovett. Photo: Craig Abraham

The 27-year-old, now of Western Australia, has been released on bail for a directions hearing next month.
    Earlier the pre-trial committal hearing heard Lovett told St Kilda club manager Greg Hutchinson he didn’t have to rape women because he could get ‘‘whatever chicks I want’’.
    Mr Hutchinson told the court today he went to Lovett's house a few hours after the alleged rape.
    He said Lovett told him the sex was consensual, but that the complainant may have thought he was Jason Gram.
    ‘‘He also said: ‘I can get whatever chicks I want, I don’t have to rape anyone, you know me Hutchy, I wouldn’t do that,’’ Mr Hutchinson said in a statement tendered in court.
    The complainant and a friend, who cannot be identified, had earlier met Gram and Lovett at the Royal Saxon hotel in Richmond.
    Lovett and Gram later took the two women back to Gram’s apartment.
    Gram and alleged victim's friend had put the complainant to bed because she was drunk.
    Andrew McQualter earlier told the court Lovett was affected by alcohol while they were drinking at the hotel.
    ‘‘He was drunk,’’ McQualter said.
    ‘‘I saw him drinking throughout the night and his behaviour changed a little bit ... a little bit louder.’’
    McQualter, who had not been drinking that night, said that later in the night when he went to Gram's apartment, he saw the complainant sitting on the ground and crying near the apartment entrance.
    McQualter testified that he heard the woman tell Gram: “I was asleep and I woke up with him f---ing the shit out of me, I didn't even know who it was”.
    McQualter said Gram and the woman then hugged and she said: "I thought it was you".
    Under cross-examination from Lovett's defence counsel, David Grace QC, McQualter said he assumed that Lovett had raped the woman.
    When asked what led him to believe the woman had been raped, McQualter told the court: “I think the fact she said she was asleep and she woke up to him f---ing the shit out her."
    McQualter said that he then went upstairs and confronted Lovett and asked him, “What the f--- have you done?”
    McQualter said he shouted at Lovett and told him to “f--- off, we don't want you, f--- off, get out of here”.
    Another player, Adam Schneider, agreed that McQualter had said to Lovett that he wasn’t wanted at the club.
    Schneider alleged Lovett replied to McQualter ‘‘f... youse. F... St Kilda’’.
    Schneider told the court he told McQualter to calm down.
    The court heard Schneider told McQualter: “Hey, there's two sides to every story”.
    Fellow player Adam Pattison told the court that Lovett said to the group of players on the balcony “f--- this, I’m not copping this, f--- St Kilda”.
    Lovett faces one count of rape and one count of digital rape.
    Under cross-examination Detective Senior Constable Brendan Payne said the alleged victim was unable to say who she believed had digitally penetrated her but Lovett had volunteered that he had before police had thought to ask him about that.
    One witness, who cannot be identified for legal reasons, remains to testify in the case.

The hearing, before Deputy Chief Magistrate Jelena Popovic, continues.
    with AAP
    http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/sa...ml?autostart=1

Another Footballer behaving badly in Aust?!

wow, they all sound so classy.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

A*O

Like most professional sportsmen these guys are spoilt, overpaid, overprotected and think they can get away with anything. Booze and drugs are rife but it's hushed up. Having said that there are a LOT of footy molls who hang around these guys so let's see what happens at the trial.

Go the Saints!
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

He looks retarded, and I should know(no not because I am one, because I work with them, you bitches! )

A*O

Everyone is walking on eggshells on this one because he's an Aborigine and there's a long history of drug/booze/sexual assult problems in that community as a whole. It's a PC minefield.
    Dame Edna Everage

This is going to be an interesting case. No idea which way this case will end up especially after reading the lastest reports.

Sex, booze and home truths sour St Kilda mates' night

• By Paul Anderson
    • August 12, 2010 8:19AM
    WHAT started as a fun end-of-year gathering for a group of St Kilda footballers turned to tears and harsh words the night new recruit Andrew Lovett was accused of rape.

Only days before during a gruelling interstate training camp, the team had been drilled about their moral and social responsibilities, The Herald Sun reports.

Now Melbourne Magistrates' Court, where Lovett was yesterday committed to stand trial on two counts of rape, is hearing details about the evening of December 23.

A group of players headed from the Port Melbourne apartment of Jason Gram and Sam Fisher to the trendy Royal Saxon Hotel in Richmond.

Most of the boys were there - Grammy. "Lovey" Lovett. "Chips" Fisher. "Mini" McQualter. Kosi. Milney. Nicky Dal. Even the skipper, "Roo" Riewoldt.

"The boys started to have a few drinks," Riewoldt would later tell police.

"We had earlier had a stern talk about expectations of our behaviour in public so nobody was going crazy."

But the night did turn crazy for a handful of the boys. Lovett, 27, in particular.

According to Andrew McQualter, Lovett was starting to appear drunk at the Saxon and getting louder and hugging people.

Ruckman Adam Pattison would say: "I recall at the pub Kosi (Justin Koschitzke) telling him to pull up and stop drinking."

Lovett and Gram hooked up with two young blondes. It was noticed.

To stir Gram, McQualter sent him a text saying: "Any danger of having a drink with the boys?"

The two women left with Lovett and Gram and headed to the Port Melbourne apartment, where it is alleged Lovett raped the woman who had earlier shown interest in Gram.

"I was kissing her, I was feeling her on the legs," Lovett says in his police record of interview.

"She kissed me back. You know, she got responsive with everything. It was really good."

The hearing heard Lovett admitted to police that he digitally penetrated the woman and had unprotected sex with her. He said the sex was consensual.

The woman's version of events is different. She allegedly told her friend that Lovett raped her as she slept.

In a tendered statement, the alleged victim's friend said the woman told her: "I was asleep and he raped me. I kept saying no."

She told Gram she thought she was having sex with him.

In his statement, Gram told police the woman had said to him: "I feel like a slut. I thought it was you. It was the dark guy. I had no interest in him whatsoever."

At 1.11am, the woman texted her ex-boyfriend - an AFL player who cannot be named. Her message read: "Help me, please."

Fisher, McQualter, Pattison, Adam Schneider and the woman's ex-boyfriend returned to the apartment to find the woman crying while sitting slumped against a wall in the hallway, refusing to say why she was so distraught.

Her allegations of rape came after she and her friend ran from the apartment.

"She appeared to me to be in shock," the woman's ex-boyfriend told police.

"She was repeating words like, 'I feel dirty, I need a shower' and 'I told him to stop'."

Gram and McQualter confronted Lovett, who strongly denied any wrongdoing.

McQualter told police: "(Lovett) said, 'This is f**king bulls**t. She knew exactly what she was doing'.

"I said something like, 'F**k off. We don't want ya'.

"Schneider tried to calm me, telling me there are two sides to every story."

In his statement, Schneider said he asked Lovett why the woman was upset.

"Lovett said, 'Nothing happened. I don't know why she is crying. If you don't believe me, f**k youse. F**k St Kilda. I'm going'."

Fisher told police that Lovett "crumbled in his shell" when confronted.

"He was shattered. He said it was bulls**t and that he hadn't done anything wrong."

According to Pattison: "I remember Fisher saying, 'Did you chop her?' and Lovey said, 'Yeah I did, but she had no problem'.

"McQualter said, 'You are going to f**k this club up'."

Lovett has pleaded not-guilty to both counts of rape. He will face the Victorian County Court on September 9 for a directions hearing.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/nat...-1225904206227

A*O

Oh please, and flame away, but if you go out drinking and then go back to an apartment with a couple of blokes there's only going to be one item on the agenda. Women have to take responsibility for their own poor decisions here and if she really was raped then of course it's a Bad Thing but from the circs we've been told this is another case of a dumb twat getting drunk, making a bad decision and then regretting it. That's not rape.
    Dame Edna Everage

I agree AO. Initially I thought the girl knew the players but this isn't the case.
    I get the impression that she was ashamed she had sex with Lovett as Gram was the guy she was interested in. So she got with the wrong guy?!

I don't know how they will prove whether Lovett is guilty. If Lovett ends up being innocent - it's a shame because he lost his football contract and career over this saga.

What sport does he play.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

A*O

Aussie Rules football (AFL). It's a religion here and these players are treated like gods.
    Dame Edna Everage

Thread Information