Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ex-teammate says Lance Armstrong encouraged drug use

Default Ex-teammate says Lance Armstrong encouraged drug use

Ex-teammate says Lance Armstrong encouraged drug use - Y! Sports Blogs - Yahoo! Sports

According to a former teammate, Lance Armstrong was aware of and encouraging a systematic doping program involving his former United States Postal cycling team.

Federal investigators recently stepped up a criminal investigation of the seven-time Tour de France champion and have received detailed claims from cyclists and former Armstrong associates backing up the story of disgraced cyclist Floyd Landis, who previously accused Armstrong of using performance-enhancing drugs.

The New York Times reported Wednesday that a former Armstrong teammate spoke with investigators about the "widespread cheating" that went on within the team, all of which happened with Armstrong's full knowledge. The report makes no mention of drug use by Armstrong.

Food and Drug Administration investigators have been interviewing those close to Armstrong in an attempt to determine if he and his teammates defrauded sponsors by cheating. Some have already spoken with investigators and others are expected to testify in front of a grand jury within the next week. A 10-year statute of limitations may soon expire in the case, a fact which reportedly led to the increased efforts of investigators in recent months.

[Related: UFC fighter's outrageous claim about Lance Armstrong's cancer ]

The lead investigator in the case is Jeff Novitzky, who headed up the FDA's probe of Barry Bonds and BALCO. Insiders say Novitzky isn't as concerned about whether Armstrong cheated at cycling but whether he broke laws (tax evastion, fraud, importing drugs) in doing so. Other athletes investigated by Novitzky have faced the most legal trouble for lying to grand juries and obstruction of justice.

If it's determined Armstrong was doping, he could have his Tour de France titles stripped. The bigger stake, however, is his legacy. He's known worldwide as the man who defeated cancer and then become the most dominant athlete his sport had ever seen. Based on his story, Armstrong was able to raise millions for cancer research. He's perhaps the most famous survivor and fundraiser the disease has ever seen. Should these drug-use allegations prove true, the ramifications could be much larger than having to return a few trophies.

I, personally, am sick of hearing about anything having to do with Lance Armstrong. That is all.
    Did you know that an anagram for "Conscious Uncoupling" is "Iconic Uncool Pus Guns"? - MohandasKGanja

As long as he did not do any doping himself, even if he is guilty of other things, then I think his athletic legacy at least will remain, though he will certainly face moral judgements for any other stuff.

Lying about stuff and covering up what others have done does not take away from what he accomplished.

If he himself did dope up, then he is toast, crisped and dropped onto a dirty kitchen floor butter side down.

A*O

I cannot believe that a human being, let alone cancer survivor, can win 7 consecutive Tours de France without some kind of pharma help somewhere along the line. Cycling is rife with drug use/abuse I don't see why Lance Armstrong should be any different. His argument is that he's one of the most tested athletes in the history of sport and that may be true, but that doesn't mean he didn't use them and then used all the tricks in the book to avoid detection.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

meh, I am going to go with innocent till proven guilty. Of course I really do not know if he is guilty, but will go with that for now. Plus he has those huge abnormal lungs and heart and that could play a part in it..

..and naturally since I think he is hot and his bromance with whatthamacallit/naked stoned bongo drummer guy was fun...I want to give him the benefit of the doubt.

I saw the interview with his former teammate, Tyler Hamilton on 60 Minutes earlier tonight. He was subpoenaed by a federal grand jury that has been investigating doping claims. It sounded pretty damning. Whatever way there was to avoid testing positive, it sounds like their team did it.

It's gonna be a scandalous 2011!!!! We'll be so busy here.
    Good luck getting a cat to do anything let alone join in on your sexcapades. - Air Quotes

Am watching it right now, wow!
    Lance donates $125,000 to the World Anti-doping folks. Hush money. Sounds like the whole team either was doing the doping or was in on it.

Meryl doesn't even try anymore. She just calls Lanvin and asks for curtains with a belt.~Bitter
    Can we interest you in Leann Rimes? She has a nice little cadre of fans you'd probably enjoy.~ Pecan Pie

Quote Originally Posted by sprynkles View Post
    Am watching it right now, wow!
    Lance donates $125,000 to the World Anti-doping folks. Hush money. Sounds like the whole team either was doing the doping or was in on it.
    That is one of the more damning actions he did. And what gets me, sprynkles, is that someone ACCEPTED the coin!!! They accepted the hush money like it was nothing. That stings!
    Good luck getting a cat to do anything let alone join in on your sexcapades. - Air Quotes

To watch him in old clips flat out denying it with a straight face is amazing. He looked so believable and pissed off that anyone was questioning anything. After all he passed the tests. Just wow.

Meryl doesn't even try anymore. She just calls Lanvin and asks for curtains with a belt.~Bitter
    Can we interest you in Leann Rimes? She has a nice little cadre of fans you'd probably enjoy.~ Pecan Pie

Quote Originally Posted by sprynkles View Post
    To watch him in old clips flat out denying it with a straight face is amazing. He looked so believable and pissed off that anyone was questioning anything. After all he passed the tests. Just wow.
    But did you notice he kept saying, "Let the results speak for themselves" or "We don't like their (his accusers) answers; we like OURS.". It was lame and slimy double-speak. I hope he pays for it.

Me too. I had forgotten that Marion Jones was sentenced to and served 6 months in jail for doping. It is not taken lightly that's for sure. This will be very interesting to watch. I hope he gets time for this.

If you take a look at the athletics of their sport, it's difficult to believe that they can achieve so much without enhancements. Lance has been accused too many times for me to believe that he didn't participate. Of course he did.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

All winning cyclists dope. Yes, I know that's a massive generalization, but when a sport is that infested with doping you cannot win without it.
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

A*O

This is a big cycling town with thousands of bikes on the roads every day. I know a few very keen, semi-pro cyclists and they all acknowledge and accept that doping is rife throughout the sport. Nobody believes for one second that Lance Armstrong didn't use drugs to achieve his remarkable results over the years. The cancer card helped him avoid too much scrutiny at the time.

Sending him to jail won't achieve much but stripping him of his titles in disgrace will hurt much more. Cycling is one of the dirtiest sports out there.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Wow, they just keep coming.

What will annoy the f**k out of me is that if and when he finally decides to admit his guilt (which seems more and more likely considering how some of pro sports biggest names in the past have vehemently denied yet eventually confessed), he's going to conveniently shed crocodile tears and act all "remorseful." How he 'let down' all his fans. Maybe a People exclusive (Lance Armstrong: I Doped).

And then the media will praise him for his "courage" even though he flat out lied over and over and over. And happily ever after.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information