Thread: Robbed! Blown call costs Armando Galarraga a perfect game

Angry Robbed! Blown call costs Armando Galarraga a perfect game

Robbed! Blown call costs Armando Galarraga a perfect game - Big League Stew - MLB* - Yahoo! Sports

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmCNNxRg_Og[/YOUTUBE]

It was a bang-bang play that left two victims dead.

The first was the masterful perfect game bid of Detroit Tigers pitcher Armando Galarraga(notes).

The second was the reputation of Major League umpire Jim Joyce.

Galarraga will likely move on with his major league career with the stinging Harvey Haddix-type knowledge that only one of the worst blown calls in baseball history prevented him from becoming the 21st pitcher to throw a perfect game — and, even more incredibly — the third perfecto this season and second in four nights.

You can't say the same for Joyce, a 23-year veteran who coupled his name with Don Denkinger when he inexplicably called Cleveland's Jason Donald(notes) safe at first with an infield hit. Replays clearly showed that Galarraga's foot beat Donald to the bag by a full step and Tigers manager Jim Leyland chewed Joyce out — deservedly so — both directly after the play and right after Galarraga retired the next Indians batter for what basically amounted to a 28-out perfect game.

Unreal.

It's not hard to see why Joyce's Wikipedia page was vandalized within seconds or why FireJimJoyce.com sprung up soon after that.

Galarraga was cooler than you or I might have been, but even Joyce knew he screwed up big time.

"I just cost that kid a perfect game," Joyce said afterward. "I thought he beat the throw. I was convinced he beat the throw, until I saw the replay."

“I don’t blame them a bit or anything that was said. I would’ve said it myself if I had been Galarraga. I would’ve been the first person in my face, and he never said a word to me.”

Joyce is only human and you can bet that this call will spur another heated debate over expanded instant replay in baseball that might actually go somewhere. (It should.)

Joyce will also get plenty of rightful criticism over why he was ruling such a close play safe considering the circumstances. Yes, tie does go to the runner ... except when there is no actual tie and there's a perfect game on the line.

But what's done is done and Joyce's latest black eye for his profession prevented the following from occurring:

• Fewest pitches (88) in a perfect game since Addie Joss' 74 in 1908

• Shortest perfect game (1:44) since Koufax's 1:43 in 1965

• The third perfect game in the 2010s, which would have put them one behind the 1990s for most perfect games thrown in a decade — one year into it.

Don Denkinger? You have company.

Galarraga was robbed. It's really a shame; the replay shows the runner is obviously out at first base, even if you don't slow it down or show it from eleventy-seven different angles. There's a Facebook group movement afoot to get it reversed, but MLB is a little behind in their automated review of controversial plays, so I don't think anyone's holding their breath. It would be the right thing to do.

[/Huge Tiger Fan]
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

fgg

the pitcher had a really good attitude about it. i know i would have punched that umpire in the face.

Damn shame.
    “The thing that attracts people to “The Sopranos” is the family element. It shows that America still has a longing for that traditional upbringing.” Christine O'Donnell

He was totally robbed, and it wasn't even that close of a call (Tribe fan here). I give a TON of credit to how Galarraga handled himself, solid class. I also have to give the ump a little credit for owning up to his blown call. He blew it and he owned that. Mike & Mike had a very interesting conversation this morning that they say should end the instant replay discussion for MLB. In Joyce's statements he said that the Tigers were rightly all over him becuase they had seen the replay. M&M made the point that EVERYONE had seen the replay and knew within seconds that it was the wrong call EXCEPT the one person who actually needed to see the replay.
    If i hear one more personal attack, i will type while drunk, then you can cry! - Bugdoll
    (716): I'd call her a cunt, but she doesn't seem to have the depth or warmth
    Quote Originally Posted by shedevilang View Post
    (Replying to MontanaMama) This is some of the smartest shit I ever read

Apparently, MLB and Bud Selig will be reviewing the call. PLEASE let's have it reversed. It's the right thing to do.

- Mark Twain

I agree Brookie, it's a no brainer. They should not wait on this.
    If i hear one more personal attack, i will type while drunk, then you can cry! - Bugdoll
    (716): I'd call her a cunt, but she doesn't seem to have the depth or warmth
    Quote Originally Posted by shedevilang View Post
    (Replying to MontanaMama) This is some of the smartest shit I ever read

Should we have ever expected MLB & "he who shall not be named" to ever do the right thing? Assholes.

MLB Will Not Reverse Blown Call That Ended Perfect Game Attempt

First Posted: 06- 3-10 03:07 PM | Updated: 06- 3-10 03:12 PM

Major League Baseball will not reverse a blown call that cost Detroit Tigers pitcher Armando Galarraga a perfect game Wednesday night, commissioner Bud Selig said in a statement Thursday.
    While the poor call will stand, Selig said "it is vital that mistakes on the field be addressed" and added that he "will examine our umpiring system, the expanded use of instant replay and all other related features."
    Umpire Jim Joyce, who made the incorrect call, admitted after Wednesday's game that it was a major mistake.

MLB Will Not Reverse Blown Call That Ended Perfect Game Attempt
    “The thing that attracts people to “The Sopranos” is the family element. It shows that America still has a longing for that traditional upbringing.” Christine O'Donnell

I hate baseball and even I know the level of bullshittery this is.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Aw, this sucks. Not a Tigers fan, but I love baseball... this makes me sad for the pitcher!
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

Bad call, Bud Selig. Bad call. Even worse than yesterday's. Wienie-assed chicken shit.

- Mark Twain

Armando Galarraga receives a Corvette consolation prize - Big League Stew - MLB* - Yahoo! Sports

Bob Barker and Rod Roddy couldn't have planned it better themselves.

In the wake of Armando Galarraga's(notes) perfect-game-that-wasn't, Chevrolet and the Detroit Tigers rightly decided that the jilted pitcher deserved a grand gift anyway.

[Photos: See Armando Galarraga in action]

So a new Corvette was driven behind home plate prior to Thursday's game with the Cleveland Indians and presented to the man who has been nothing but class in the face of Wednesday's disappointing and unjust finish. That'll ease the sting a bit.

Even better, the feelgood moments didn't end once Galarraga was handed the keys to his shiny new whip. With Jim Joyce scheduled to work home plate for the day, Galarraga then carried the lineup to the tearful ump and shook his hand. Joyce remained emotional and responded with a thankful pat to Galarraga's arm.

There was a mixture of cheers and boos during the exchange, but in retrospect, I think we should give a standing ovation to everyone involved. Joyce's blown call on what would have been the 27th out had the potential to be a very ugly stain on the game, but both Galarraga and Joyce have combined to put a positive spin on the situation. That Galarraga has achieved an admirable sense of serenity so quickly is really rather remarkable and there's no way to argue that he hasn't earned every mile he'll drive on that new set of wheels.

What I really want to know is whether it makes your poop glow in the dark after eating it! ~ Kittylady

This entire mess could've been avoided if the MLB would stop dragging their feet about instant replay. The ump admits his mistake, the player that was called safe admits he was out, and Galarraga has been the epitome of class after being robbed of a perfect game. Leave it to Selig to piss on everybody's parade.

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kingcap72 View Post
    This entire mess could've been avoided if the MLB would stop dragging their feet about instant replay. The ump admits his mistake, the player that was called safe admits he was out, and Galarraga has been the epitome of class after being robbed of a perfect game. Leave it to Selig to piss on everybody's parade.
    and give it to him, thats fucked up that they dont reverse the call.

a fucking corvette isn't going to remedy the fact that his name wont be in the history books

Well... proof I know nothing about baseball. I thought the title meant that this guy lost a perfect game because his phone bill was running too high.

Thread Information