Thread: Former NBA guard Kenny Anderson, after retiring broke, graduates Saturday

Default Former NBA guard Kenny Anderson, after retiring broke, graduates Saturday

Kenny Anderson, after retiring broke, graduates Saturday - Ball Don't Lie - NBA* - Yahoo! Sports

Being a New York City point guard is a pretty big deal. The long and storied lineage runs from old-timers like Bob Cousy all the way to guys like Stephon Marbury and Sebastian Telfair. If you're good at
    playing point in NYC, odds are you'll become a legend throughout the city.

However, the biggest of all the big deals is probably Kenny Anderson, who is the only player in history to be named all-city all four years of high school and is called "the best high school player I've ever seen" by scouts who have been watching basketball for 50 years. After a Final Four and two years at Georgia Tech, Anderson hit the NBA as the second overall pick in the 1991 draft. And while his NBA career was nothing to write home about, he banked about $60 million.

Then, when his career came to a close in 2005, he was broke. Between cars, seven children with five women and loving to party, Anderson was without a job, money or a diploma. So he went back to school, and this Saturday he'll be graduating with a degree in organizational leadership.

A neighbor told him about the Institute for Professional Studies at St. Thomas, so he enrolled for his online program by himself -- without a cadre of helpers hovering over him. He began working with an adviser, Jennifer Booker, who is a professor.

"What surprised me," Booker said, "was the way he was willing to give credit to people who helped him, like a former trainer." She watched him handle the online classes, but from the other side of the electronic connection she could not gauge the terror of a star who had once performed in arenas and now had to produce a paper.

"I'd ask people for help," Anderson said. "This wasn't like college. They'd say, ‘I'll give you an idea, but you have to do the work yourself.'" He almost quit a few times but found a comfortable routine, helping get Ken Jr. and his wife's daughter, Tiana, also 9, off to school. Then he would take off to Starbucks and study.

Big ups, Kenny Anderson. This kind of thing just makes you feel good. Not the losing $60 million part obviously, but the responding to that by doing something constructive part. That's excellent.

Anderson is currently giving private lessons to basketball hopefuls, but he's hoping for something bigger. Whether that ends up being coaching somewhere or something else, now that he's got his degree, he's got options. Very cool.

You would think he majored in Aerospace Engineering...
    Good on him though...it must have been difficult to go
    back to his humble beginnings...
    I wonder how many of the ex-wives kept in touch after he
    lost all his money...

He was married to Tami from season 2 of the Real World. She received a sizable amount from their divorce. From Wikipedia:

"From 1994-2001 he was married to The Real World: Los Angeles cast member Tami Akbar Anderson (now known as Tami Roman [9]). Akbar filed for divorce in Christmas 1998 citing Anderson's infidelity. She successfully challenged the 1995 $5.8 million pre-nup. As a result of the divorce Tami acquired a sizeable portion of his assets (reported to be half) in addition to $8500 monthly child support. Tami had a license plate custom-made to mark her victory with the phrase "HISCASH"."
    Kenny Anderson - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Finish your schooling kids, otherwise, you too can be like Kenny.
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

Standing outside a KFC defending the Colonel

"I'd ask people for help," Anderson said. "This wasn't like college. They'd say, I'll give you an idea, but you have to do the work yourself.'"
    What does this mean? Surely not that he never did any of his own work in college, at all? Right? Right? Right?
    I have opinions of my own -- strong opinions -- but I don't always agree with them. - George W. Bush

Quote Originally Posted by Daphne View Post
    He was married to Tami from season 2 of the Real World. She received a sizable amount from their divorce. From Wikipedia:

"From 1994-2001 he was married to The Real World: Los Angeles cast member Tami Akbar Anderson (now known as Tami Roman [9]). Akbar filed for divorce in Christmas 1998 citing Anderson's infidelity. She successfully challenged the 1995 $5.8 million pre-nup. As a result of the divorce Tami acquired a sizeable portion of his assets (reported to be half) in addition to $8500 monthly child support. Tami had a license plate custom-made to mark her victory with the phrase "HISCASH"."
    Kenny Anderson - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    I hated that bitch, and you just know she got him and had that kid for the $$$$. Piece of trash. And he was a fucking idiot. She damn sure did not abort his kid when she got pregnant(like she did on the show). Fucking golddigging drama/attention/$$$ whore. Hope she losed all of her money too.
    Don't slap me, cause I'm not in the mood!

So how do you really feel about her Soj? I never liked Tami either, but still contend that was the best season of Real World...no one tops our home state Parma girl, Beth! I don't know that I've ever seen another person on tv who made me so very embarassed for her every action and word.

Good for Kenny. I wonder if he can actually do anything with an online St. Thomas degree.
    If i hear one more personal attack, i will type while drunk, then you can cry! - Bugdoll
    (716): I'd call her a cunt, but she doesn't seem to have the depth or warmth
    Quote Originally Posted by shedevilang View Post
    (Replying to MontanaMama) This is some of the smartest shit I ever read

Thread Information