Thread: IOC to investigate Canadian women's hockey team for celebration

Default IOC to investigate Canadian women's hockey team for celebration

IOC to investigate Canadian women's hockey team for celebration - Fourth-Place Medal - 2010 Olympics Blog - Yahoo! Sports

The International Olympic Committee will investigate the actions of Canadian women's hockey players who celebrated their gold medal victory Thursday night by swigging beer and smoking cigars on the ice in Vancouver.
    A number of players, including 18-year-old superstar Marie-Philip Poulin, were drinking alcohol on the ice following the team's 2-0 defeat of the United States. (The legal drinking age in British Columbia is 19.) Players lingered for more than 70 minutes after the awards ceremony reveling in the arena, which was empty except for media and arena staff. (Click here to view a slideshow of the celebration.)
    Gilbert Felli, the IOC's executive director of the Olympic Games, said that drinking in public was "not what we want to see" from athletes at an Olympic venue. The organization will investigate the actions and will speak with the international hockey federation and Canadian Olympic Committee and ask them to "act accordingly."
    Steve Keough, a spokesman for the Canadian Olympic Committee, told the Associated Press, We condone celebrations. We dont condone actions of irresponsibility. I think Canadians understand its quite an emotional moment for our team. It was not our intention to go against any IOC protocols.
    To be sure, the Canadian women's hockey team should have acted with more class and been a little more discreet with its celebration. But to do something drastic like ban the team from the Closing Ceremony or force them out of the Olympic Village would be an overreaction. In past Olympics we've seen steroids, political boycotts, cheating and judging scandals. A few puffs of a cigar hardly seems to be in the same league.

A*O

Lesbians. Obviously.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

So they celebrated with a few drinks and some cigars and this is wrong how? I tell you the number counters and pencil pushers are taking over the world. In times past this would have been gazed upon with great fondness and joy.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

Hit By Ban Bus!

When our athletes act (in their words) not up to Olympic standards they get sent home. So whats Canada gonna do, give them a time out?

Seriously it's not like they had some guys on their knees kissing their medals.. like our snowboarding guy did.

Oh,good grief! They were just having fun and had earned it. True, they could have made this more private, but they are young.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    Lesbians. Obviously.
    Well I suspect that 95% of the female athletes are, of course.

(100% for the Germans...)
    Don't slap me, cause I'm not in the mood!

oh for fucks sake.

*middle finger*

See that IOC? Right there.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

i'm in yer manifesto, correcting your spelling mistakes

Quote Originally Posted by Sojiita View Post
    Well I suspect that 95% of the female athletes are, of course.

(100% for the Germans...)
    OMG, have you seen them? They are all hot heteros, lol. I was actually stunned by how fem and straight all the hockey players are.

What pisses me off about this story is that 1) it was the wire services guys who ratted them out and 2) photographers were not authorized to take photos at that time. Any photographer in the venue has to be in an authorized photo position--they are not allowed to take pictures if they are not in an authorized spot, and the authorization is only given during the game. So the photographers broke the rules essentially, to create a story. That really fucking sucks. The tream trusted that they were celebrating in private, knowing that they were off the record, and the photogs violated that trust. All to create a story that made it look like they were on the ball, breaking earth shattering news.
    "Hope everyone' shavin a good one!" - Karistiona

I don't see the big deal. Doesn't the IOC have better things to worry about?

Thread Information