Page 1 of 27 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: **SPOILER THREAD** 2010 Vancouver Olympics

Default **SPOILER THREAD** 2010 Vancouver Olympics

This isn't to take away from the main Olympics thread, but I thought I would start a companion thread for anyone who wants to discuss events as they see them and include spoilers, but not ruin it for those who haven't had the opportunity to watch yet.

I'm watching the pairs figure skating right now and WTF is up with all the point padding going on? Several pairs have been held up already. I thought this was what the confusing ass Code of Points was supposed to prevent? This German pair looks like they're going to kick ass and take names.

I was kind of surprised too, they DID get too many points! Fair is fair!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

I miss when a major fall would have killed your medal dreams. The Chinese couple who took silver at Torino proved that's so not the case anymore. Same rules should apply as in any other sport, if a skier falls on their ass they probably aren't going to be walking away with any medals, why is that different for figure skating if they don't get their landings?

At the very least, it should make for a huge deduction. Those with no or few mistakes should be able to count on a better score.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Some of these skaters are being propped up with padding their program component and grade of execution scores, I think. Each element has a baseline score that it's worth and depending on the quality of it, it can be graded up or down - like a + or - to the score. I think some of them are getting positive grades of execution for less than stellar elements.

The whole CoP crap was invented to try and take out the subjectivity of the 6.0 system. I see it's working like a charm. [/sarcasm]

Seriously, the NBC commentators kept saying most of the scores were personal bests, but most of them fell. How were they getting "personal best" scores with a major fall? There should have been bigger deductions for those.

Quote Originally Posted by NoDayButToday View Post
    I miss when a major fall would have killed your medal dreams. The Chinese couple who took silver at Torino proved that's so not the case anymore. Same rules should apply as in any other sport, if a skier falls on their ass they probably aren't going to be walking away with any medals, why is that different for figure skating if they don't get their landings?
    But tonight the Chinese couple was phenomenal. They were the first ones out and it was beautiful...and I'm not much of a skating fan. I think they set a new prelim record, has that since been broken by fallers? I've been wasting my time on the NBA All-Star game.
    If i hear one more personal attack, i will type while drunk, then you can cry! - Bugdoll
    (716): I'd call her a cunt, but she doesn't seem to have the depth or warmth
    Quote Originally Posted by shedevilang View Post
    (Replying to MontanaMama) This is some of the smartest shit I ever read

Different Chinese couple. The first one that performed set a new scoring record. Many of the ones who followed fell, but got scores that were personal bests for themselves, but weren't breaking the new record. The couple that fell in Torino performed last, and I think they're sitting in 4th place right now.

Ah, thanks.
    If i hear one more personal attack, i will type while drunk, then you can cry! - Bugdoll
    (716): I'd call her a cunt, but she doesn't seem to have the depth or warmth
    Quote Originally Posted by shedevilang View Post
    (Replying to MontanaMama) This is some of the smartest shit I ever read

No one smack me, but one of the teams that I feel got propped up a bit were the Canadians Dubé and Davison - she fell on a triple Salchow. They're sitting in 6th and it fell a bit like some homecooking.

Figure skating is ridiculous and political. It should be scratched from the olympics anyway.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by Laurent View Post
    No one smack me, but one of the teams that I feel got propped up a bit were the Canadians Dubé and Davison - she fell on a triple Salchow. They're sitting in 6th and it fell a bit like some homecooking.
    I agree, I got the immediate feeling that they got a decent scoring bump based on where the Olympics are being held.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    Figure skating is ridiculous and political. It should be scratched from the olympics anyway.
    Then don't watch it! This is my favorite. Well, and Apolo Ono.

Hit By Ban Bus!

Quote Originally Posted by McJag View Post
    Then don't watch it! This is my favorite. Well, and Apolo Ono.
    same here..

I thought the padding for the Canadian team went way over board.
    They do have a base line and tricks get points but their team didn't throw that difficult of a routine and then they had a fall. phfft

I'm cheering for Xue and Hongbo from China. After 4 olympics give the man his gold and let him retire.

Quote Originally Posted by NoDayButToday View Post
    Absoultely. Any bobble killed you. Now they can wipe out on one of their huge elements and still score in the top three.

While I don't seek out figure skating, I can usually get some enjoyment out of it. Last night was an exception. It seemed they all had the same routines and the same mistakes. Plus that chick with Scott Hamilton was crabby and irritating.

Page 1 of 27 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread Information