Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Russian skating champions outrage Aboriginal leaders with 'very offensive' routine

Default Russian skating champions outrage Aboriginal leaders with 'very offensive' routine

Two Russian world figure skating champions have outraged Aboriginal leaders with a ‘very offensive’ routine.
    Oksana Domnina and Maxim Shabalin won gold after wowing judges with the performance at their national competition three weeks ago.
    They now intend to repeat it at next month’s Vancouver Winter Olympic Games, where they are favourites to win.

Favourites: Oksana Domnina and Maxim Shabalinare tipped to win next month

The routine sees Domnina, 25, and Shabalin, 27, dressed in dark-toned bodysuits decorated with eucalyptus-style leaves and traditional painted swirls and red loincloths.
    It includes ceremonial dance steps – which they learned after watching video clips on the internet.
    However, Aboriginal leaders in Australia are outraged, and have said the performance is disrespectful of their culture.
    Sol Bellear, of the New South Wales state Aboriginal Land Council, said: ‘We see it as stealing Aboriginal culture, and it is yet another example of the Aboriginal people of Australia being exploited.

'Offensive': Aboriginal leaders claim the couple's routine has been 'stolen'

‘It's been absolutely stolen without our permission and without consultation of the relevant dance groups within Aboriginal Australia.’
    Domnina and Shabalin - world champions in 2009 and European champions in 2008 and three-time Russian national champions – have also been accused of copying the idea from rival skaters, Australians Danielle O’Brien and Greg Merriman.
    O’Brien and Merriman spent a year in consultation with the indigenous community to ensure their routine, performed in Korea in 2008, respected Aboriginal culture.

However, Domnina admitted to ice skating website Golden Skate, the pair’s research was less extensive.

Research: Domnina said they watched internet clips to get ideas for the dance

‘We’ve watched video clips on the internet, and it really is like this, complete with the leaves around the knees,’ she said.
    Domnina defended the routine’s originality, saying they came up with the routine after deciding to do something different.
    She said: ‘We did not want to create another Slavic dance and have considered a lot of options, including Scottish folk.
    ‘Eventually we settled on this one. I thought it was just crazy, but once we tried it, we immediately fell in love with it.’

'Disrespectful': Domnina and Shabalin have been accused of 'cultural theft'
    Mr Bellear, whose organisation aims to protect the interests and aspirations of Aboriginals in Australia, told The Age: ‘It’s important for people to tread carefully and respectfully when they are depicting somebody else’s culture and I don’t think this performance does.’
    He said would be writing to Russia's ambassador in Canberra to protest about the dance.
    ‘It may be very offensive to an Aboriginal group. It may be that they have based this on a ceremony that is strictly for men or strictly for women, and these are important things," he said.
    ‘It's not just intellectual property. It's straight-out cultural theft.’

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worldnews/article-1245269/Russian-skating-champions-outrage-Aboriginal-leaders-offensive-routine-learned-internet-videos.html#ixzz0dP0kmG4s

they look silly. I think that Belben and Agosto will win Gold.
    Last edited by msdeb; January 22nd, 2010 at 10:36 PM. Reason: because i like to add extra letters to things
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

A*O

The gratuitous crotch shots would be offensive to anyone.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

I'm offended.

Their costume is not complete, it's missing the 'blackface.'

i like the back of her costume though
    i was a figure skater to the age of 13 when the real pressure started lol

I'm anxious to see this in action at the Olympics because the pics are interesting to say the least.

Quote Originally Posted by msdeb View Post
    I think that Belben and Agosto will win Gold.
    I don't know - Davis and White beat Belbin and Agosto at Nationals yesterday, and I really think they legitimately have a chance at Gold in Vancouver.

i love the Winter Olympics, should be interesting.
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

I hate beastie squats.

Hit By Ban Bus!

Quote Originally Posted by msdeb View Post
    they look silly. I think that Belben and Agosto will win Gold.
    me too.... I love ice dancing and I love that our country isn't on the bottom anymore.

That Russian dude is ugly.

Don't forget Virtue and Moir.The world champions.

Hit By Ban Bus!

SHEN Xue / ZHAO Hongbo pairs skaters, this will be their 4th olympics. While I'm not cheering for China I would really like to see them win, they've been favorites of mine for a long time.

And allegations of American lobbying erupted after it emerged that Joe Inman, a veteran US Olympic level skating judge, sent e-mails to judges and officials reminding them to mark presentation scores accurately.

Remember when it was France and Russia always in trouble for lobbying?
    Figure Skating: Chan blasts 'old' Plushenko - AFP News : Vancouver 2010 Winter Olympics

btw the Russians aren't going to wear the aboriginal outfit.

Drama already, nice
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Bronze Member

Australians can't be that offended - I haven't even heard of this story till now. Didn't make headlines here.

Elite Member

you can see most of the programs from this year's Grand Prix events at Welcome to icenetwork.com - your home for figure skating video and news.
    Last edited by scooter; February 14th, 2010 at 02:54 PM.

Oh my. I am embarrassed just looking at these pictures. Of course, even the least offensive figure skating costumes are always of questionable taste, but these really reach a new low. How distracting to the program as well as the obvious racial offense. What were they thinking?
    Last edited by landerq; February 14th, 2010 at 12:14 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information