Thread: Kim Clijsters donates prizemoney to Children's Hospital

Default Kim Clijsters donates prizemoney to Children's Hospital

Kim’s big heart wins over Brisbane

CHRIS BARRETT

January 10, 2010 - 6:26AM

Kim Clijsters meets a young patient while on a visit to the Royal Brisbane Childrens Hospital on December 31. Photo: Getty Images

Kim Clijsters has shown herself a woman of not just exceptional sporting ability but one of great generosity and compassion by donating her entire prize money for winning the Brisbane International to the Royal Children’s Hospital.
    Clijsters, whose 23-month-old daughter Jada is with her in Brisbane, visited the hospital eight days ago, before her ultimately successful tournament campaign began.
    ---------------------------------------
    Belgians deliver epic final to Brisbane fans
    ---------------------------------------

Click for more photos Winner Kim Clijsters (right) and runner-up Justine Henin at the Brisbane International. Photo: Getty Images

The experience was one she has not been able to forget. Having won $37,000 for taking out the women’s singles title last night she quickly donated the entire sum to the hospital.
    "Ever since then it’s been on my mind," she said of her visit to the hospital at Herston.
    "It stuck with me for days. I keep thinking about those people. It’s terrible…it was the oncology floor as well which is very hard to see.
    "Boys, girls…Jada’s age…17 months, three years old with brain tumours and everything. You wonder - how is it possible that a young baby can have something like that?"
    She said she met many parents of children who are patients in the hospital and was desperate to help.
    "I have been in touch with them over the last few days as well," Clijsters said.
    "If we can help them out a little bit, even if it’s just letting them stay in a hotel so they don’t have to drive back and forth all the time or so they can have some family members come over.
    "It’s a small amount but hopefully it can help other people. Hopefully other people will donate because I donated something."

Kim Clijsters I Brisbane International winner donates prize money

Damn - good for her. Very inspiring.

What a wonderful thing ! Bless her.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

awesome!

i'm SO glad that Justine and Kim are back in womens tennis. It is going to raise the womens game tremendously
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

Kim is so sweet. Good to have her back playing tennis.

It's nice to hear a story about people in sports doing GOOD things for a change.
    "My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable and I'm just ferocious. I want your heart. I want to eat your children. Praise be to Allah." TEAM MILEY!!

Thread Information