Thread: Alabama Crimson Tide rolls over Texas to win the 2010 BCS National Championship

Default Alabama Crimson Tide rolls over Texas to win the 2010 BCS National Championship

Alabama gets it done one last time

January, 8, 2010 Jan 84:57AM

By Chris Low

PASADENA, Calif. – Even Nick Saban’s Gatorade shower wasn’t exactly textbook.

The players soaked more of Saban’s shirt than they did his head.

“I wish they’d do the water,” Saban said. “You know, the Gatorade is awfully sticky.”

But, hey, he wasn’t complaining. Not on this night.

Eryk Anders forced this Garrett Gilbert fumble late in the fourth quarter, all but sealing an Alabama national championship.In only his third season at Alabama, he’s guided the Crimson Tide back to national championship prominence, and in doing so, becomes the only coach in the AP poll era (since 1936) to win national championships at two different schools.

Saban revels in talking about the process. Well, the process for this team and for this season was all about getting it done – no matter what it looked like, how close it was or how unorthodox it was.

Alabama’s 37-21 victory over Texas on Thursday at the Rose Bowl won’t go down as a classic. The Crimson Tide knocked quarterback Colt McCoy out of the game, built a big lead at the half and still had to sweat it out in the fourth quarter.

“The thing about this team is that when a guy has a play to make and everybody else does his job, that guy always makes that play,” Alabama senior cornerback Javier Arenas said. “That’s the way it’s been all year.”

Indeed it has.

The play that sealed it Thursday night was Eryk Anders’ perfectly called and perfectly executed blitz off the edge. Texas backup quarterback Garrett Gilbert never saw him coming and coughed up the ball. Courtney Upshaw recovered at the Texas 3 with 3:02 to play, and Alabama finally put the game away.

“I didn’t think about anything but hitting him and didn’t know he fumbled until I looked up and saw Courtney Upshaw jumped on the ball,” Anders said.

At last, the Crimson Tide could exhale.

They couldn’t have started the game any worse, thanks to a couple of special teams gaffes. And then in the third quarter, they sort of fell asleep at the wheel and allowed Texas to climb back into the game.

“That’s who we are. We bend, but don’t break,” Alabama sophomore center William Vlachos said. “Our defense did a tremendous job. They made the plays when they had to make them, and we were able to run the ball when we had to. It all came together for us.

“We had a goal going into the year. Championship teams are defined by how they finish and what they accomplish.”

Junior linebacker Rolando McClain played through a nasty virus that had knocked him for a loop all week. He had two IV's before the game and one at halftime.

"I just want to go home and take another shower and go to sleep," McClain said. "That’s how weak and tired I am right now. But my team needed me. They needed me to be a leader, and I couldn’t let them see that I was sick. I couldn’t let them see that I wasn’t 100 percent. For them, I’d do anything."

And while the Alabama players expressed genuine remorse that McCoy missed almost the entire game, they weren’t buying for a second that their national championship was somehow tarnished.

Not after everything this program has been through the past few years.

“I don’t write the script. I just play it out,” said Alabama junior quarterback Greg McElroy, who was held to 58 yards passing, the lowest output in BCS National Championship Game history.

“It’s unfortunate for them, and I feel terrible for Colt. But when it comes down to it, that’s how things go sometimes. We lost one of our best players early in the season in Dont’a Hightower to a torn ACL. Sometimes terrible things happen in this game.

“But on my ring, it’s not going to say, ‘Beat Texas without Colt.’ It’s going to say, ‘National champions.’ ”
    Alabama gets it done one last time - College Football Nation Blog - ESPN

My sweet daddy is still going apeshit over it.

Hit By Ban Bus!

^^So is my son. Roll Tide.

Texas was ROLLING over them until they took our QB out, and even then, our true freshman who'd never played a meaningful down nearly got us in position to win. Bama is just not that great. And I say "fuck Bama" because of all the classless shit they pulled at the end. (1) Nick Saban forcing the score for garbage points after the freshman's desperation throw that resulted in an INT---teams with any class take a knee because you can end the game without giving the ball back; (2) Ingram with the throat slash gesture that is supposed to be penalized; (3) McElroy with the "horns down" taunting, after he played with fewer balls than our freshman and had nothing to do with their win. Choke on it, McCoy is still the winningest QB in college football history.
    Santa is an elitist mother fucker -- giving expensive shit to rich kids and nothing to poor kids.

Wink

What are you talking about, Manx? My state has all the class in the world.

Sexay!
    Santa is an elitist mother fucker -- giving expensive shit to rich kids and nothing to poor kids.

Hit By Ban Bus!

Football. It's what we do.

That, and exploding meth labs.

^ We do chubby too. The Million Dollar Band was looking more than a tad, er, fluffy last night.

Hit By Ban Bus!

Lol, I didn't watch. I get out of the room when my son and his friends watch Alabama football.

IT WAS AWESOME! Already got my t-shirt ordered 5 seconds after the game ended. Yeah, I bleed crimson.

Quote Originally Posted by Sylkyn View Post
    IT WAS AWESOME! Already got my t-shirt ordered 5 seconds after the game ended. Yeah, I bleed crimson.
    Isn't bleeding crimson the norm?

Apparently this is the wrong thread to say this but I cannot stand Saban. What a joyless prick. It gave me great pleasure to see his players hit him upside the head with that cooler. I love that he sent 5 minutes drying off his hair instead of smiling and actually acting as though he enjoyed winning the NC. It's also interesting that he maintained a fair distance from his players with no hugs, smiles, high fives to be found.

My BFF works at Bama so I was (mostly) pulling for them. Still can't stand Saban.

I was, naturally for Texas. Bama played some shitty ball. The player I was most impressed with was the true freshman - Garrett Gilbert. For someone not even really expected to play, that kid delivered!
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(•_•)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

Thread Information