Thread: Florida football coach Urban Meyer quits

Default Florida football coach Urban Meyer quits

'Health issues' force Urban Meyer out at Florida

The day after his team's loss in the SEC Championship game, Florida coach Urban Meyer checked himself into Gainesville hospital due to "dehydration." He was quickly released, and the story passed without much attention at the time. But as of tonight, it may go down as the moment that Meyer's burgeoning Gator dynasty came to an end:
    Urban Meyer is stepping down as coach of the Florida football team, athletics director Jeremy Foley announced Saturday afternoon in a release.

"I have given my heart and soul to coaching college football and mentoring young men for the last 24-plus years and I have dedicated most of my waking moments the last five years to the Gator football program," Meyer said in statement. "I have ignored my health for years, but recent developments have forced me to re-evaluate my priorities of faith and family."
    Meyer plans an official press conference on Sunday; he will coach against Cincinnati in the Sugar Bowl on Jan. 1, then hang it up for the foreseeable future. He has suffered in the past from extreme pain as a result of a brain cyst, but isn't facing any immediate health issues. There's no indication he's planning to return to the sideline anywhere else anytime soon; he's just had enough for now.
    So, presumably, has the rest of the SEC. After turning obscure outfits Bowling Green and Utah into small-conference powers behind his prolific spread offense, Meyer resurrected Florida into a national juggernaut by his second year, in 2006, when he brought home the Gators' first national championship in a decade. Three years later, Meyer goes out with a 56-10 record over five years, a second national title to his name and a secure place alongside USC's Pete Carroll, Alabama's Nick Saban, Texas' Mack Brown and Oklahoma's Bob Stoops as the contemporary gold standard for building and sustaining a first-rate national power capable of contending for at least a major bowl game year after year, and Carroll is the only one of those coaches who has (or likely ever will) won two national titles in a three-year span. In practically no time at all, he's achieved virtual "legend" status.
    Meyer's a relatively young man at 45 years old; odds are his name is going to be in the mix for every major job opening every offseason until he gets the itch and decides to return. But however this story ends, his run in Gainesville will go down as one of the great supernovas in the history of the sport.
    College coach stuns football world

I wonder if Meyer's 'health issues' would've forced him to quit if Florida had actually gotten a shot at the BCS title. The timing seems off.

He has suffered in the past from extreme pain as a result of a brain cyst, but isn't facing any immediate health issues.
    When I heard, the first thing I wondered was whether it had something to do with that brain cyst.
    “What are you looking at, sugar-tits?” - Mel Gibson

Just saw on ESPN that sources are saying that the health condition is not life-threatening and he'll be taking a non coaching job in the Florida organization.

Just glad that he's recognizing there are issues.
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

fgg

Quote Originally Posted by kingcap72 View Post
    I wonder if Meyer's 'health issues' would've forced him to quit if Florida had actually gotten a shot at the BCS title. The timing seems off.
    he's still coaching the bowl game. i think he would have quit, regardless of whether they were playing for the national championship or not, but the announcement would have come after the game. i'm glad he's putting his family and his health first.

here comes florida's dry spell

Given the description (chest pain and shortness of breath thath are like a heart condition even though his heart is healthy), it sounds like anxiety or panic disorder. I love the spin they've put on it. Certainly, anxiety or panic disorder should be treated like any other medical illness but it's still interesting to listen to the way they present it. I suppose it could be from a broken heart too....with Tebow leaving and all.

It doesn't much matter though. Putz Meyer just unretired. Now he's taking a leave of absence from coaching. The dude can't even make a life changing decision that he lives with for one day.

Not sure this was mentioned upthread, but apparently he is just taking a leave of absense for a year. At least I thought that was the latest...

I wish people would make up their minds about retiring. Don't say it unless you mean it.

Florida coach Meyer taking leave but expects to be coaching Gators when 2010 season starts
    NEW ORLEANS (AP) — Florida coach Urban Meyer changed his mind Sunday and said he was taking an indefinite leave of absence instead of resigning. Despite ongoing concerns with his health, he expects to be on the sideline leading the Gators when next season opens.

"I do in my gut believe that will happen," Meyer said at a Sugar Bowl news conference.
    Offensive coordinator Steve Addazio will run the team during Meyer's absence, but Meyer will be the coach against No. 4 Cincinnati on New Year's Day.

"It's full speed ahead. We're going to do everything possible to win this game," he said.

Less than 24 hours earlier Meyer stunned all of college football, saying he was resigning due to health concerns, leaving the school after five seasons and two national titles.

But that was not to be the final decision, after all.

Earlier in the week university president Bernie Machen offered and encouraged Meyer to take a leave of absence instead of just leaving. After conferring with his wife and three children and athletic director Jeremy Foley, Meyer pulled back and said he was accepting that offer instead "to improve my health."

The 45-year-old Meyer said being with his players at a "spirited practice" Sunday morning persuaded him not to resign.

"To not try would not be the right thing to do," he said.

Still, his health concerns remain.

After the Southeastern Conference championship game three weeks ago, Meyer spent several hours in a Gainesville, Fla., hospital because of chest pains.

Meyer said he had experienced similar problems at times this season but had not had a heart attack. However, he would not elaborate on his physical condition. Asked if doctors advised him to stop coaching, Meyer again declined to answer.

Foley said when he went to bed Saturday night he did not think there was any chance Meyer would change his mind.

"It was a long night for everybody in Gator nation," Foley said. "The intent here is to make sure Urban goes and deals with the issues we discussed last night."

Gators quarterback Tim Tebow said he and several of his teammates cried when they found out that Meyer was stepping down and were elated when he told them he changed his mind.

"We want him to do what's best for him," Tebow said. "We want him to get himself right, and when he's right then come back to coaching, then get back into ball."

Tebow will be playing his last game in the Sugar Bowl against an unbeaten Cincinnati team that will be led by an interim coach. Brian Kelly left the Bearcats earlier this month to take over at Notre Dame.

Meyer is 56-10 with Florida, including 32-8 in the SEC and a school-record 22-game winning streak that was snapped by the Crimson Tide in the conference title game on Dec. 5.

Last month, Sports Illustrated chronicled Meyer's coaching career and reported that he suffered from persistent headaches caused by a cyst that becomes inflamed by stress, rage and excitement.

Meyer told the magazine that since the diagnosis in the early 2000s he has tried to stay composed during games.

A tireless recruiter and creative motivator, Meyer came to Florida from Utah in fall 2004 amid speculation he would end up at Notre Dame.

Meyer brought most of his staff with him — some of whom worked with him at Bowling Green (2001-02) and Utah (2003-04). Together, they restored the program to national prominence two years later with the school's second national championship.

The Gators upset Ohio State 41-14 in Glendale, Ariz.; they won another one last January by beating Oklahoma 24-14 in Miami.

With just about his entire team returning this fall, Meyer spent all season coaching under intense pressure and sky-high expectations. He said he welcomed it all as the defending national champions tried to become just the second team in the last 14 years to repeat.

But the season was far from smooth. Florida dealt with distraction after distraction, prompting Meyer to call it "the year of stuff."

"I had a 30-year coaching career in nine years," Meyer said Sunday. "You just can't do that."
    Urban Meyer taking leave from Florida, not resigning

Quote Originally Posted by fgg View Post
    he's still coaching the bowl game. i think he would have quit, regardless of whether they were playing for the national championship or not, but the announcement would have come after the game. i'm glad he's putting his family and his health first.

here comes florida's dry spell
    Looks like he is not after all(Dammit...I hate the Gators..). So much for the dryspell.

I hope they get crushed in their bowl game(but hope he is ok and all)..even though he is a traitor(born in Ohio right?)

The Gators upset Ohio State 41-14 in Glendale, Ariz.;
    ugh..it burns! it burns!
    Don't slap me, cause I'm not in the mood!

I've come to loathe Florida. All the hype around Tebow and UM is ridiculous. What the hell kind of coach drops this kind of bomb on his players days before their bowl game? And what the hell kind of coach changes his mind one day after ESPN runs his retirement statement continuously on their ticker? The guy is a tool.

Soj, this is the only time of year I'll root for tOSU. The Big Ten needs us both to win to start getting back some respect.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellatheball View Post
    I've come to loathe Florida. All the hype around Tebow and UM is ridiculous. What the hell kind of coach drops this kind of bomb on his players days before their bowl game? And what the hell kind of coach changes his mind one day after ESPN runs his retirement statement continuously on their ticker? The guy is a tool.

Soj, this is the only time of year I'll root for tOSU. The Big Ten needs us both to win to start getting back some respect.
    I have really grown to loathe them also. At least with Michigan it is like a family quarrel-a bitter long quarrel, but there is at least some familiarity and grudging respect. FLAW-duh? No redeeming qualities whatsover.
    Don't slap me, cause I'm not in the mood!

fgg

Quote Originally Posted by Bellatheball View Post
    I've come to loathe Florida.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sojiita View Post
    I have really grown to loathe them also. FLAW-duh? No redeeming qualities whatsover.
    my feelings are hurt - i loathe being loathed!

Thread Information