Thread: Michael Vick gets award for courage from the always 'classy' Eagles

Thumbs down Michael Vick gets award for courage from the always 'classy' Eagles

Eagles players honor Michael Vick with award for courage
    According to Philadelphia Eagles players, the most courageous man on the team in 2009 was one who started the year serving time in prison for an act of extreme cowardice.
    Today, the Eagles announced that Michael Vick was the 2009 winner of the Ed Block Courage Award, an honor given to a player who shows courage in the face of adversity. Vick's teammates voted for the award, thus demonstrating how tone-deaf and out-of-touch NFL players are with reality.

According to the Ed Block Courage Award Foundation Web site:
    Each year, the Ed Block Courage Awards honors those National Football League players who exemplify commitments to the principles of sportsmanship and courage. Recipients are selected by their teammates for team effort, as well as individual performance.
    The Ed Block Courage Award recipient symbolizes professionalism, great strength and dedication. He is also a community role model.
    One recipient is selected from each NFL team, usually for things like coming back from injury, doing good work in the community or long, dedicated service to a franchise. I'd be surprised if the award's founders intended for the honor to be given to someone doing community service as part of the terms of his parole or for showing courage in the face of reporters asking legitimate questions about federal crimes.
    The Eagles' vote is not only a slap in the face to the Ed Block Courage Award Foundation, but to the other 31 players who won the award for their respective teams. Some men are truly deserving of the honor, like Ravens safety Dawan Landry(notes) who was nearly paralyzed last year, but has come back in '09 with four interceptions and a touchdown or Mike Furrey(notes) of the Browns, who does extensive volunteer work in his community. Adding Vick's name to the roll makes the award seem illegitimate and meaningless.
    Apparently Philadelphia players confuse Vick handling dogfighting questions and booing with a measure of class as some sort of courage. That Vick only got a chance to show this mild courageousness because of the extreme cowardice it takes to murder helpless animals isn't something that crosses their mind. They confuse Vick's desperation with some sort of integrity.
    I'm all for second chances and find myself rooting for Vick to redeem himself both on and off the football field. He's served an appropriate sentence (and then some) and I see no reason for him to keep paying for his past transgressions. But I also see no reason to celebrate his character.
    Michael Vick(notes) is very much a work in progress. A few years from now, I hope he will be deserving of such an honor. At this time, however, he has only just started down the path to redemption.
    Teammates honor Vick, diss award

Only in Philly would this make sense.

WTF?! Someone just drop the bomb on Philly, its not needed anymore.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

they're just trying to make the public hate him less. wonder if those dogs appreciate his award?

one more reason to hate the Eagles
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

Amazing. No other word comes to mind. The rest of the team has evidently done something like dropped dead, right?

Out of so many players, such a slap in the face! Imagine, losing a courage award to Michael Vick. Everyone else must have been a serial killer.
    "Just because I walked into a turd supermarket doesn't mean I have to buy anything." - John Oliver

Quote Originally Posted by greysfang View Post
    WTF?! Someone just drop the bomb on Philly, its not needed anymore.
    I say let the Eagles implode in the playoffs again and then Philly can have TWO teams fail at world titles in less than 6 months. That will be far worse than any bomb for Philly.

Quote Originally Posted by msdeb View Post
    they're just trying to make the public hate him less. wonder if those dogs appreciate his award?

one more reason to hate the Eagles
    Exactly.

Thread Information