Thread: Pacquiao/Mayweather bout canceled over dispute about drug testing

Default Pacquiao/Mayweather bout canceled over dispute about drug testing

Promoter Says Pacquiao-Mayweather Likely Off - ABC News
    Promoter Says Pacquiao-Mayweather Likely Off
    Dispute over blood testing leads promoter to declare Pacquiao-Mayweather likely off
    The Associated Press
    LAS VEGAS

The promoter for boxing sensation Manny Pacquiao says a fight against Floyd Mayweather Jr. will not happen unless Mayweather's camp drops its insistence for Olympic-style blood testing.

Promoter Bob Arum says if that doesn't happen by Thursday, the proposed March 13 fight that would have likely been the richest ever in boxing is over.

Arum accused Mayweather's camp of raising the issue not because they were worried about Pacquiao taking performance-enhancing substances, but because Mayweather never wanted to fight in the first place.

Arum said Wednesday that Pacquiao would agree to testing by the same agencies that test pro football and baseball players, but not for random tests by the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency.

He said that Pacquiao still plans to fight March 13, and will now look for another opponent.

Copyright 2009 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Copyright 2009 ABC News Internet Ventures
    I had read somewhere else yesterday that they wanted blood testing done 30 days before the fight, and Pacquiao's camp didn't want it due to "superstition"...

People that are opposed to random drug testing are usually trying to hide something.

^^That was my initial thought, especially since so far, Manny has been unstoppable...

I hope it's not true! Oh, please! Oh, please! Manny "Pacman" Pacquiao is practically revered as a god in my mother's homeland (Philippines). This would be absolutely devastating. I mean, of all the major fights: Barrera, Marquez, Morales, Dela Hoya, Hatton, and Cotto, my people were very supportive. I really do hope this isn't true.
    Rock the fuck on!

Quote Originally Posted by Moongirl View Post
    ^^That was my initial thought, especially since so far, Manny has been unstoppable...
    I really want to see Floyd and Manny fight, especially since Floyd keeps predicting that he's going to knock Manny out. But, then again, Floyd predicts that before every fight.

I saw the Pacquiao-Cotto fight through my fingers. It was brutal. That little man (Pacquiao) can take some *hard* punches and has incredible stamina. I always root for the fighter I perceive to be the underdog in terms of power and dominance in the ring. At the beginning I was rooting for Pacquiao but by the end I was rooting for Cotto and hoping Pacquiao didn't inflict permanent brain damage on the guy.

Quote Originally Posted by kingcap72 View Post
    People that are opposed to random drug testing are usually trying to hide something.
    Seriously. I can't think of a single object to drug testing, unless you are using drugs. I can only imagine how laughable the football and baseball anti doping programs are, considering how many athletes have gotten around them.

I've been trying to follow what the hell is going on. So, from what I've gathered, Pacquiao plans to sue Mayweather for defamation. I keep seeing so many sides to this drama. I just want Paquiao and Mayweather to fight. Enough is enough.
    Rock the fuck on!

Regarding Manny, i have played steel tipped darts for years, but recently its been having some trouble getting sponsors here on the West Coast. Pacman stepped up and sponsored two tourneys. Put his own money in. One was 30,000 prize money, and the 2nd was 100,000 dollars prize money. He even played in the tournaments.
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

Quote Originally Posted by msdeb View Post
    Regarding Manny, i have played steel tipped darts for years, but recently its been having some trouble getting sponsors here on the West Coast. Pacman stepped up and sponsored two tourneys. Put his own money in. One was 30,000 prize money, and the 2nd was 100,000 dollars prize money. He even played in the tournaments.
    Thanks, msdeb. That's interesting. I didn't know that he played darts. Btw, my mother is very upset over the the suspicions of Manny taking steroids or HGH (human growth hormones). I told her to be realistic as it's not impossible for elite athletes to be taking something. Personally, I don't think Manny has anything to hide. I do hope he's clean. However, it would be very disappointing if Manny did cheat. He's brought so much pride to his countrymen and he's done so much to help the poor back home.
    Rock the fuck on!

Default Update

Manny has submitted to the doping test. We'll find out soon enough if he's clean or not.

gulfnews : Manny Pacquiao undergoes dope test
    Rock the fuck on!

Thread Information