Login to remove the ads!

Thread: Germany keeper dies in 'suicide'

Default Germany keeper dies in 'suicide'

Germany and Hannover 96 goalkeeper Robert Enke has died after being hit by a train in an apparent suicide on Tuesday, police have confirmed.

Enke, 32, was fatally injured at a level crossing north west of Hanover.

The German football federation (DFB) said in a statement: "The German team has learned of the death of Robert Enke with great shock."
    Germany team manager Oliver Bierhoff added: "We are in a state of shock. It is beyond words."
    Enke's daughter Lara died in 2006 of a rare heart condition when she was just two. He leaves behind his wife, Teresa, and an eight-month-old daughter the couple had adopted in May.

German police released a statement saying: "The victim is apparently national team goalkeeper Robert Enke from Hannover 96. The first police indications are that it was a suicide."
    Enke was struck by a regional train travelling between Norddeich and Hannover at a railway crossing in Neustadt am Rubenberge and died at the scene. Some reports gave the time of his death as "shortly before" 6pm local time (1700 GMT).
    He played eight times for Germany and also for clubs Carl Zeiss Jena, Borussia Monchengladbach, Benfica, Barcelona, Fenerbahce and Tenerife, before returning to the Bundesliga with Hannover in 2004.
    Enke made his international debut aged 29 and became Germany's number one keeper after Jens Lehmann retired from internationals at the end of Euro 2008.
    He had missed Germany's last four matches with a virus but returned for his club at the weekend.
    Germany coach Joachim Low had indicated that Enke was in pole position for the number one jersey at next year's World Cup finals in South Africa.
    Dr Theo Zwanziger, president of the DFB, said that the football community in Germany "are deeply distressed and in mourning", adding: "All our sympathy goes to the wife of Robert Enke and his family."

The Germany squad is currently in Bonn ahead of a friendly against Chile on Saturday, but Enke had not been called up, having only just returned to action for his club.
    Hundreds of fans flocked to Hanover's Niedersachsen Stadion on Tuesday night to lay flowers and light candles for the captain of their club.
    A news conference has been scheduled for 1230 GMT on Wednesday.

BBC SPORT | Football | Internationals | Germany keeper dies in 'suicide'

I'm speechless. They just adopted a child in May. Looks like he couldn't get over the death of his daughter. I don't know how the wife is supposed to live with this.

The last time I saw him was Saturday when he gave a tv interview. He was focused and composed, as always. He was my nehpews' favorite player. They were crying so hard when I just talked to them. How do you explain suicide to children?

RIP.

The daughter who died three years ago:

The wife:

Last edited by Chilly Willy; November 11th, 2009 at 03:43 AM.
    Hello mother fucker! when you ask a question read also the answer instead of asking another question on an answer who already contain the answer of your next question!
    -Bugdoll-

That's a sad story.

His poor wife.

Enke's widow - Robert had depression

STORY HIGHLIGHTS
    -Robert Enke's widow reveals the keeper was suffering from depression
    -The German international footballer has died at the age of 32 at a rail crossing
    -Police say that the Hannover captain's death was apparent suicide
    -He won eight caps for Germany and was expected to be in squad for the 2010 World Cup finals

(CNN) -- Robert Enke's widow has told a press conference that the Germany goalkeeper was suffering from depression before throwing himself in front of a train.

An emotional Teresa Enke revealed that the 32-year-old Hannover captain was afraid their adopted daughter, who is eight-months-old, would be taken away if his illness became public knowledge.

The couple's biological daughter died three years ago from a heart problem when she was aged just two.

"I tried to be there for him," said Mrs Enke, choking back tears. "When he was acutely depressive, it was a difficult time. We thought we'd manage everything. We thought with love, we could do it. But you can't."

Martin Kind, chairman of Enke's club Hannover, added in the press conference."I don't know why and how this happened -- It is a total catastrophe. I am finding it hard to understand. All I can say for sure is that it had nothing to do with football."

Fellow players said they believed that Enke had been suffering depression. "He was unstable," added Kind. "But he kept it under wraps well."

Enke died on Tuesday evening when he threw himself before a train near his Hannover home. Police said on Wednesday they had found a suicide note.

Valentin Markser, a doctor who treated Enke, said the goalkeeper first sought treatment in 2003, when he lost his starting place at Barcelona and developed anxieties and fear of failure.

In the note, Enke apologized to his family and the staff treating him for deliberately misleading them into believing he was better, "which was necessary in order to carry out the suicide plans," Markser said.

"Despite daily treatment, we did not succeed in preventing his suicide," the doctor added.

Enke, who had a good chance of being his nation's leading goalkeeper at next year's World Cup finals in South Africa, is the second Germany player known to have suffered from depression.

Bayern Munich midfielder Sebastian Deisler quit football in January 2007 after several bouts of depression and five knee operations.

Meanwhile, Germany have canceled their friendly match against Chile on Saturday in the wake of Enke's death.

The president of the German Football Federation (DFB), Theo Zwanziger, told a press conference the players "needed time to come to terms with the death of Enke."

Germany national coach Joachim Loew said the team could not just go back to business as usual.

"We have lost a friend, we deeply mourn Robert Enke," Loew said. "I feel completely empty. He was a great guy. He had incredible respect for others. We will miss him, as a top-class sportsman and an extraordinary man."

Meanwhile, hundreds of fans and former teammates of Enke gathered to lay flowers, light candles and sign a book of condolence outside Hannover's Niedersachsen Stadion in tribute.

The club''s official Web site has been converted into a single-page memorial.

The shot-stopper had also appeared for Carl Zeiss Jena, Borussia Monchengladbach, Benfica, Barcelona, Fenerbahce and Tenerife.

His teammates were stunned by news of his death.

"We are in a state of shock," said team manager Oliver Bierhoff in a statement from the German Football Federation. "It is beyond words really."

"I'm stunned. I don't know what to say," captain Michael Ballack told the Bild daily.

Football commentator and journalist Rafael Honigstein told CNN International that Enke was on course to be picked as the number-one choice for next summer's World Cup finals in South Africa.

Enke had missed Germany's last four matches because of a bacterial infection, but had recently returned to action with Hannover. "It's been well documented that he had a tough time," Honigstein said. "People knew it was a terrible, terrible tragedy for him."

Find this article at:
    Enke's widow - Robert had depression - CNN.com

© 2008 Cable News Network.

ETA: There is a slideshow at the link...

This is really sad. My condolences to his family, friends, and fans.
    Posted from my fucking iPhone

How horrible. My heart goes out to him and his wife and daughter.

35.000 people stayed up all night mourning him in Hannover. The nephews went to school/kindergarten, but they never started classes. All the kids are shattered.

Hannovers Abschied von Enke: "Du bist für immer bei uns" - SPIEGEL ONLINE - Nachrichten - Sport

This is the second football star of ours who came down with severe depression. A few years ago, Sebastian Deisler quit the national team because of it.

I think it's time for the entire sport to change significantly. The player are under so much pressure. It's insane.
    Hello mother fucker! when you ask a question read also the answer instead of asking another question on an answer who already contain the answer of your next question!
    -Bugdoll-

So sad......I feel for his wife and family. He was an awesome keeper!!

This is just so sad...
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Thread Information