Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: US whines that Canada is too good at Olympic hockey

Talking US whines that Canada is too good at Olympic hockey

Canada and the United States were locked in a bitter war of words as both teams comfortably completed their Winter Olympics women's ice hockey preliminary round programme.

Defending champions Canada conceded their first goal of the tournament but still hammered Sweden 8-1 while the United States rallied to beat Finland 7-3 to set themselves on course for another Olympic finals clash.

Canada finished the opening stage with a 3-0 winning record and 36-1 scoring record but their tactics invited nothing but scorn from the United States.

American defenceman Angela Ruggiero blasted the Canadians saying they being selfish by blowing out the other teams.

Canada beat Italy 16-0 and Russia 12-0 in the first two games.

"I'm upset that Canada has been running up the score, especially against the host nation," Ruggiero told Sports Illustrated.

"There was no need for that. They're trying to pad their stats. Canada is running up the score for whatever reasons - personal, short-term."

However, Canadian forward Danielle Goyette denied that they were going for personal glory.

"One of the tiebreakers is goals scored and we know that," said Goyette.

"We are just playing well and getting better as the tournament goes on. We are in the Olympics and we have to give it our best."

The first 12 games have gone according to script.

Canada and the United States finished top of the A and B pools. The match winners have outscored the losers 82-7 overall.

Since international play began in 1990, the USA and Canada have won every championship and gold medal handed out.

On the ice Tuesday, Canada showed some signs of being human by finally conceding their first goal but it was a minor blip on their way to another one-sided win.

Ylva Lindberg scored the lone goal for the Swedes but she still couldn't prevent her team from losing 8-1 in the Group A preliminary.

In other games, Germany edged Switzerland 2-1 and Russia defeated Italy 5-1.

The United States will now meet Sweden, the second place team in Group A, while Canada takes on Group B runner-up Finland in the semi-finals on Friday.

On Tuesday, forward Gillian Apps, who is the granddaughter of Hall-of-Famer Syl Apps who won three Stanley Cups in the 1940s, opened the scoring for Canada at 4:36 of the first period before scoring twice more in the second.

Goyette, with two, Katie Weatherston, Hayley Wickenheiser and Jayna Hefford also scored for Canada.

Cecilia Andersson made 39 stops for Sweden while Kim St-Pierre made just seven saves for Canada.

Ruggiero and Sarah Parsons scored two goals each for the Americans who had their hands full with the Finns until finally seizing control.

Finland led 3-2 heading into the final period but couldn't hold the lead as they were outshot 31-15 overall but got solid goaltending from Maija Hassinen.

Emma Laaksonen, Mari Pehkonen and Kati Kovalainen scored for Finland which finished with a 2-1 record.

The Americans were a perfect 3-0 as they outscored their opponents 18-3 in the preliminary round.

Copyright AFP 2005, AFP stories and photos shall not be published, broadcast, rewritten for broadcast or publication or redistributed directly or indirectly in any medium
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Default Re: US whines that Canada is too good at Olympic hockey

I don't see why they should have to apologize for running up the score. I mean, like Goyette said, goal differentials play a factor in tiebreakers, so there is a reason behind it. The US is just jealous of our awesome playing.

SVZ

well it is our freaking sport

We totally spanked Italy, it was kind of sad
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

I have been watching the women's hockey for years, and yes it sucks that Canada beat Italy and Russia so badly, but as mentioned, it's the format of the hockey tournament that sucks, not us running up the score.

Bottom line is we want home advantage so we can have the last change when we meet the cry-babies... oops, I mean the Americans.
    The Americans are just pissed because they will be the visitors.
    The problem with the Americans, is.... well they're Americans!

If they can't dominate, they whine.

End of anti-American rant... Apologies to the Americans on here, but that the way I see it..
    Vegetarian - Old Indian word for "Bad Hunter"

^^Too true. In all Olympic events, if they don't win, they either minimize the victors or whine about them. This is one reason I no longer watch Olympic events. The "patriotism" is gagworthy. Be proud of course, but don't make a freaking religion out of it. It's a game, period.

SVZ

There was a great moment when one of the Canadian cross country skiiers lost her pole, and a Swedish coach I believe ran up and gave her a new one

He was Norwegian actually I think.

SVZ

oops

Quote Originally Posted by SVZ
    There was a great moment when one of the Canadian cross country skiiers lost her pole, and a Swedish coach I believe ran up and gave her a new one
    That to me is what the Olympics are all about.

I also loved the fact that the Italian men won gold in the team pursuit in skating. It's sucked for the Dutch team that they fell and lost out, but Holland is huge in skating, and it's nice to see an underdog win.
    Vegetarian - Old Indian word for "Bad Hunter"

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok
    We totally spanked Italy, it was kind of sad
    It was hilarious. I watched the last ten minutes, at that point the Canadian team could have gone off the ice to have a drink without taking much risk
    "Sex is not, by default, depraved and dirty. Unless it's really good."
    morons.org

Quote Originally Posted by SVZ
    That is what its all about not acting like a child and throwing a fit. Sometimes the US acts too big for its britches. Sorry if Ive offended. I loved watching the men's speed skating and the Italian fella won. Got teary-eyed watching him hug his team and coach and then skating around with the Italian flag. Believe it or not, not all Americans feel we have to win. Spread the medals around, no need to hog them I feel.

Still can't believe the Swissies beat the Canadian team.
    "Sex is not, by default, depraved and dirty. Unless it's really good."
    morons.org

I know, when i left the pub canada was up 3 nothing in the 2nd. WHatev, we'll still win dammit.

Shut up Canada before we invade and steal all of your oil, water, trees, moose, etc etc.!!!! (and we will sell Vancouver to the highest Asian bidder!)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information