Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: It's about time Tiger Woods showed some manners

Default It's about time Tiger Woods showed some manners

Rick Reilly, America’s National Sportswriter of the Year 11 times, suggests it’s time
    Tiger Woods grew up and dropped the boorish behaviour on the golf course

TIGER Woods has outgrown those Urkel glasses he had as a kid. Outgrown the crazy hair. Outgrown a body that was mostly neck.
    When will he outgrow his temper? The man is 33 years old, married, the father of two. He is paid nearly $100 million a year to be the representative for some monstrously huge companies, from Nike to Accenture. He is the world’s most famous and beloved athlete.
    And yet he spent most of his two days at Turnberry (for the British Open) doing the Turn and Bury. He’d hit a bad shot, turn and bury his club into the ground in a fit. It was two days of Tiger Tantrums slamming his club, throwing his club and cursing his club. In front of a worldwide audience.
    A lot of that audience is kids. They do what Tiger does. They swing like Tiger, read putts like Tiger and do the celebration biceps pump like Tiger. Do you think for two seconds they don’t think it’s cool to throw their clubs like Tiger, too?
    He’s grown in every other way. He’s committed, responsible, smart, funny and the most talented golfer in history. I just thought we’d be over the conniptions by now.
    Every network has been burned by having the oncourse microphone open when he blocks one right into the cabbage and starts with the F-bombs. Once, at Doral, he unleashed a string of swear words at a photographer that would’ve made Artie Lange blush, and then snarled: ‘‘ The next time a photographer shoots a [ expletive] picture, I’m going to break his [ expletive] neck!’’
    It’s disrespectful to the game, disrespectful to those he plays with and disrespectful to the great players who built the game before him.
    Ever remember Jack Nicklaus doing it? Arnold Palmer? When Tom Watson was getting guillotined in that play-off to Stewart Cink, did you see him so much as spit? Only one great player ever threw clubs as a pro— Bobby Jones— and he stopped in his 20s when he realised how he looked.

This isn’t new. Woods has been this way for years: swearing like a Hooters’ bouncer, trying to bury the bottom of his driver into the tee box, flipping his club end over end the second he realises his shot is way off line.
    I can still remember the 1997 Masters. Woods, then 21, was playing the 15th hole. He had just hit a fairway wood out of the rough and was watching it. A young boy came up from behind just to touch him — to pat the back of this amazing new superhero. That’s when Tiger pulled the club way back over his head and slammed it down, nearly braining the kid behind him. And this was with a huge lead. In every other case, I think Tiger Woods has been an A-plus role model. Never shows up in the back of a squad car with a black eye. Never gets busted in a sleazy motel with three ‘‘ freelance models’’.
    Never gets so much as a parking ticket. But this punk act on the golf course has to stop. If it were my son, I’d tell him the same thing: ‘‘ Either behave or get off the course.’’
    Come to think of it, if I were the president of Nike, I’d tell him the same thing. Put it this way: will Tiger let his own two kids carry on in public like that?
    I know what you’re saying. We see more Tiger tantrums because TV shows every single shot he hits. And I’m telling you: you’re wrong. He is one of the few on Tourwho do it. And I keep wondering when PGA Tour commissioner Tim Finchem is going to have the cojones to publicly upbraid him for it.
    Golf is a gentleman’s game. Stomping and swearing and carrying on like a Beverly Hills tennis brat might fly in the NBA or in baseball or in football . . . but golf demands manners. It’s your honour. Is my mark in your way? No, I had 6, not 5. Golfers call penalties on themselves. We are our own police. Tiger, police yourself.
    Tiger does a load of work for kids. He raises millions for his Tiger Woods Learning Centre, which has helped teach thousands. But teaching goes the wrong way, too. Tiger is teaching them if he can be a hissy hothead on the course, they can, too.
    I remember Tiger’s dad, Earl, telling a story. When Tiger was a kid, he was throwing his clubs around in a fit when his dad said something like ‘‘ Tiger, golf is supposed to be fun’’. And Tiger said, ‘‘ Daddy, I want to win. That’s how I have fun.’’

PressDisplay.com - Newspapers From Around the World

I agree. Everyone seems to love him, but I think he acts like such an immature douche.
    Santa is an elitist mother fucker -- giving expensive shit to rich kids and nothing to poor kids.

Quote Originally Posted by ManxMouse View Post
    I agree. Everyone seems to love him, but I think he acts like such an immature douche.
    He lost points with me when GQ did a story on him back when his star was on the rise. He behaved like a total asshat. But it's cool; I always hated golf anyways.

But throwing clubs has got to feel so gratifying when you're frustrated by a bad shot. The only golf I play is on the wii and I still want to throw things.

I guess I know where he's coming from cause I'm prone to childish tantrums too.

Tossing a "childish tantrum" is acceptable and fun if it's done in the privacy of your game room or living room when you're on a Wii game system. When you're the current "it guy" of golf and you play regularly on renowned world courses, you're featured on international television and you're paid $100M+ per year for your sport plus endorsements, it's irresponsible, consciously avoidable and shameful. I'll bet this guy has an interesting dark side - if he does this on the golf course, what happens at home?

Yeah but I'd probably do it on national TV too, endorsements and all.

I think to a certain extent it is a lot about showing passion for a game and your performance in it.

For example, the first football game I ever enjoyed was in college when Steve Spurrier coached the Florida Gators. Seeing him get red-faced, cursing and spitting mad as he threw down his visor got me just as fired up and excited for the game like I'd never imagined I could be for football. It raised my team spirit like nothing else and cracked me up to see a grown man spitting nails because he felt so passionately about a game.

It just seems that golf is much more of a repressed, polite "golf clap" (ha!) type of game laden with etiquette where showing emotions like that is considered inappropriate or gauche. I guess I just don't care all that much for etiquette and I think sports should be an outlet for excess energy and aggression. Long as nobody gets hurt, it seems normal to me.

The only sport I endorse bad manners in is hockey - what's a good hockey game without an all-out brawl?? Golf? Not so much.

Ah yes. A good hockey brawl is very satisfying to watch. And I don't even like hockey, I just like watching the fights.

A*O

I'd hardly call golfers "athletes" but the article makes some very good points. I was staying with my golf-nut family when the British Open was on TV and every morning we'd gather to watch Tiger chuck a tanty over a bad shot (of which there were many so he didn't make the cut, ha ha ha). I was also disgusted by his gobbing and spitting all over the place. If he was a Joe Public golfer he'd be at least warned, of not thrown off the course. OT but I felt very sorry for Tom Watson who missed taking the title with one fudged putt.

I heard a rumour that the reason he's in such a foul mood and his game is so off at the moment is because he's recently lost a ton of money, some say $40mill, in an investment gone wrong. It might explain a few things but I still think he's a petulant spoilt brat.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Don't like him, never have liked, and never will like him. He is an arrogant douche.

He's been like this since the beginning of his career. My husband has been a roving marshall for two majors. You get the odd tantrum, but for the most part, the golfers are good sports who treat the volunteers, the public and the media well. Tiger has the worst reputation by a lot and is a nightmare for everyone.

Who cares... Can't stand him, and don't get the appeal.

Is football on?
    Baltimore O's ​Fan!

I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

The dude is a WINNER flat out! He shouldn't throw tantrums in front of people BUT if you are o.k. with losing then you're not a competitor. Personally I hate to lose more than I like to win!...and remember..."If you aint first, you're LAST"! lol
    "My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable and I'm just ferocious. I want your heart. I want to eat your children. Praise be to Allah." TEAM MILEY!!

Quote Originally Posted by Wiseguy View Post
    He's been like this since the beginning of his career. My husband has been a roving marshall for two majors. You get the odd tantrum, but for the most part, the golfers are good sports who treat the volunteers, the public and the media well. Tiger has the worst reputation by a lot and is a nightmare for everyone.
    No kidding? TV does a great job at hiding that!! Speaking as a golfer there are sometimes that I would love to flip out on the course but I "semi" hold it together!
    "My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable and I'm just ferocious. I want your heart. I want to eat your children. Praise be to Allah." TEAM MILEY!!

Quote Originally Posted by TheONe View Post
    The dude is a WINNER flat out! He shouldn't throw tantrums in front of people BUT if you are o.k. with losing then you're not a competitor. Personally I hate to lose more than I like to win!...and remember..."If you aint first, you're LAST"! lol
    Ricky Bobby's wise, wise words! Perfect!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information